Hello from a (former) lurker and Les Paul wannabe-owner

Begintermediate

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've read and learned a lot about LPs here over the past year or so. Mid-40s rock & blues fan in MD with about 2 years' study on the guitar -- basically I'm a pentatonic hack at this point, but enjoying the process. I started my learning on a Strat (because Jimi, SRV and Gilmour), and while I've enjoyed it, I just wasn't able to get the tones out of it that I wanted to try to emulate Jimmy Page and others. I finally decided this year to give the Epiphone '59 a try, which just arrived this week :jam:

I'm a tinkerer, and know that I just can't leave my toys "stock". On my Strat, for instance (a Squier Vintage Modified 70s), I've swapped out the trem block and bridge, pickups, pots, wiring, switch, and jack - it didn't "need" any of that, but it's fun. I bought the Epi 59 knowing that I wouldn't need to rush to replace much of anything, though long term I'll probably order a set of Monty's PAFs or something similar. I also will probably build up another, more modern LP from a kit (maybe a Page harness?) And either build an SG or find a deal on a beater to upgrade. And then there are the ESes. And...

Anyway, this seems like a great forum for GASheads, and I'm glad to finally have an excuse to stop lurking!

Chris

Last edited:

JMP

Reaction score
Welcome! Happy to have you. Sweet Epiphone- they make fantastic instruments. But be careful around here….you’ll be wanting a Gibson Les Paul Standard in short order.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Happy to have you. Sweet Epiphone- they make fantastic instruments. But be careful around here….you’ll be wanting a Gibson Les Paul Standard in short order.
Yep. Fast forward two or three years and you'll be posting group pics of your "herd" lined up alongside your homeless encampment. Les Paul GAS can be worse than any drug habit.

Welcome! You're among friends.

Begintermediate

Reaction score
Thanks, all! Yeah, I've been GASing for an LP since day 1, and whenever I stop by GC I just can't help but reach up over the Epiphones to grab a Gibby. Logically, I'm an 80/20 rule guy... I know that, objectively, the Epis get me at least 80% of the way there. But, subjectively, even a relative noob like myself can appreciate the difference. Maybe it's just the finish, I dunno... I blame those nitro fumes :cool2:

Latest Threads