Hell Freezes Over

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Seriously, what would you expect me to title a thread announcing my entry into amp modelling? :rofl:

I've dipped my toes in the water and I picked up some gear to play through in-ear monitors with my cover band. The main 'modelling' portion comes in the form of the Mooer Radar Cab/Power Amp Simulator pedal. I can only compare it to the Two Notes Wall of Sound plugin I've been using with GarageBand. To my ear, the stock Mooer IR's sound every bit as good, and maybe even better. I'm already a big fan of the Marshall 4x12 sims, especially the one with Greenbacks.

Now, I haven't completely immersed myself into digital tones. I'm using either a tube-driven Two Notes Le Crunch (marketed as a Marshall preamp pedal) or a Two Notes Torpedo Captor loadbox with my Orange Rocker 15 Terror or VOX Night Train tube heads. All three options sound amazing. The Mooer power-amp sims can bring a lot out of the Le Crunch pedal, and I can almost get Fender-like cleans. And the drive channel sounds like pure Classic Rock. It takes pedals like a champ.

I still haven't even begun to think about replacing my enormo-pedalboard, as I'm way too attached to my 'creation'. So, everything has a familiarity about it and the learning curve thus far, has been very easy.

All in all, pretty damn neat, and finally there are affordable options. It's always been the cost of the good stuff that held me back, but including the IEM's (for me, maybe the most important component of all this), I haven't broken the bank. The cheaper tech appears to have caught up. As well, it seems to have adapted to stubborn pricks like myself who only want to wade into the waters. By this, I mean that I am now able to affordably add to my existing gear and use both to come to a very happy place.

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
Congrats, Chris! :applause: :cheers:

Good options are a great thing to have.

I fell way down a rabbit hole last eve demoing classic Fender tones, all whilst trying the occasional classic Marshall and even Friedman before remembering I was supposed to be demoing Fender models. Too much fun and super inspiring. I was even getting good tones out of the Blues Junior model! :lol:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Congrats, Chris! :applause: :cheers:

Good options are a great thing to have.

I fell way down a rabbit hole last eve demoing classic Fender tones, all whilst trying the occasional classic Marshall and even Friedman before remembering I was supposed to be demoing Fender models. Too much fun and super inspiring. I was even getting good tones out of the Blues Junior model! :lol:
Well, thank you! I brought the Two Notes Le Crunch/Mooer Radar 'Marshall' rig to our three-piece jam this afternoon. First time with either unit and without an amp..... :Ohno:

No problem! It was perfect for the 3HOG Night covers of The Who, Green Day, Buddy Holly, Led Zeppelin and more. I don't have a lot of experience with Marshalls but my clone drove my tone into familiar territory. I used the Mooer Marshall 4x12 Greenback setting with the EL34 simulation and it was wonderful.

Nice to have everything I needed in a gigbag, PedalTrain bag and shoulder bag. I fully realize I could slim it down with a smaller board, but I love what I've put together here. Some of these pedals even have sentimental value.

Don't you worry, I will have you using an Axe FX in no time! Oh looky here I happen to have one I am selling lol
As i said in my message, any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks, Mike! One day, maybe I'll be worthy of the Axe. Today at rehearsal, everything felt really comfortable and familiar at my feet. Sounded great, the band was digging it.

Well maybe not frozen over .... but certainly getting cooler:dude:
Ha! It's a start. But I like that I'm bridging between the two worlds. I was sold on the Mooer Radar after watching Pete Thorn's demo. Good enough for him, way more than enough for me. And the price is fantastic.

fleahead

Reaction score
Congrats
I tell you what, I couldn't be happier with my Mooer GE200. I just duplicated my Crate VC3112 which is Class A 1-12" and one of my fave amps but the 1960 cab and some of the amps are really good, such as the Suhr Badger and JCM.

1576979836447.png

Last edited:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Congrats
I tell you what, I couldn't be happier with my Mooer GE200. I just duplicated my Crate VC3112 which is Class A 1-12" and one of my fave amps but the 1960 cab and some of the amps are really good, such as the Suhr Badger and JCM.

View attachment 427953
I was looking at one of those before getting the Le Crunch and the Mooer Radar. That unit has the Radar embedded into it and all of the Mooer amp sim pedals and FX. Very neat.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've really been getting the urge to pick up a Katana lately.
I'm a little gun-shy on Fender because of the way they have handled/orphaned software in the past, to the point that users can not even access their own saved presets. Owners are really pissed about it, as well as some apparent issues with one of the newer amps randomly shutting down (that doesn't seem to be heat related).
Granted, the Tonemaster series does not rely on a smartphone app to access its capabilities... OTOH, they really only do one model, however well they do it.

But the dilemma...
I would like an effects loop, but that is not available in the Katana 50. I don't need a 100w amp. I don't NEED a 50w amp... if they made a Katana-20 with the hardware features of the 100, that would be a perfect amp for me. In all honesty, either one would probably spend most of its life on the 0.5w setting... but again, the Katana-Mini and other practice amps don't have loops.

cherrysunburst00

I don't even care about the pat cictures anymore
Premium Member
Reaction score
CONGRATS. I'm happy for you, Homie.

So I'm trying to visualize what you're doing: you've got 2 pedalish modeling tools that fo into your Rocker? And what about speakers?

cherrysunburst00

I don't even care about the pat cictures anymore
Premium Member
Reaction score

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
CONGRATS. I'm happy for you, Homie.

So I'm trying to visualize what you're doing: you've got 2 pedalish modeling tools that fo into your Rocker? And what about speakers?
Thanks, CB!

So far, we've just been jamming, so there hasn't been a need for speakers. I suppose when the day comes, I'll still be using my Orange and speaker cab for big gigs with room on the stage. But when we get packed into small pubs, the plan is to go straight to FOH and just have a perfect blend in the mix.

These are my new 'speakers'.

Singing with these has been unbelievable.

wmachine

Reaction score
Ha! You haven't been reading this thread. I'm still a stubborn tube amp user! For now, my amp tones are still tube based. But I'm totally open to trying other preamps out.
Well I am reading this thread with great interest. I've been sucked down this rabbit hole unintentionally. I am the proud(?) new owner of an OX Amp Top Box courtesy of my Premier Guitar Christmas Stocking. Having three 100 watt amps, I was in the market for an attenuator. but this goes waaaaaay beyond and into the modeling world. This is a "have your cake and eat it" world that includes my amps. Opens up a whole new world for me to pursue.

My Les Paul Classifieds