Helix

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
k its just the learning curve and I'm at pole position one..kind of overwhelms me.. I like reverb to be lush and a bit of delay[all along the watchtower is my hallmark for that and sometimes the old Ce-1 chorus. wah pedal and the rest is nice fender clean with the victory head for my lead/distorted sound. play s
The new verbs in the latest firmware are a pretty big improvement.
My recommendation is to build a preset from scratch. Then grab a bunch of IRs and load them up and play a few notes/chords. There will be IRs that will suddenly make the preset feel more alive. The IR part of the equation makes a big difference. I didn't like many of the stock IRs but only have a handful that I use for Fender and Marshal style presets.
Another trick is to make a stereo delay with 10-15ms between left and right (if you use headphones). This helps add a bit more dimension.

Jim Klein

Reaction score
thanks, I'll have my son over today to help old dad understand this stuff.. i never use head phones , trying to get this up to speed for gigs. my son has had a helix since they first came out but he goes thru stuff to fast for old dad ..and he doesn't play out ,just home recording so he uses all the stuff ,amps ,cabs etc. to make cool soundscapes for his tunes.. there is just so much in it I'll never use.. at least right now.. feels overwhelming .sounds okay but so far not inspiring.. I'll keep trying to learn how to use it..hell I don't even have a cellphone!! lol

dspelman

Reaction score
Still using mine...

Actually the pedal mounts broke off last month and I had to contact line 6 about a fix or replacement.

They were great and spun me out a replacement within 3 days!

View attachment 541987
I have the Floor -- cast metal and seriously solid construction. I took one look at the LT and its "folded metal" build and decided that I'd destroy it in short order. Turns out that I was likely right; the expression pedal has been the Achilles' Heel for that unit. Beyond that, of course, I actually use most of the "extras" that are built into the Floor, including all that I/O, the FX loops, the switching, and especially those scribble strips.

dspelman

Reaction score
that is likely it. just hard to give in to the digital age i guess..my intent was to just use it as my effects unit ..also i guess its because i have so much dough into all this vintage gear. lol hard to leave it home and play thru a pa spkr. mental block? no stage cool factor..ha I'll stick with it for a while and see if you guys and my son can get me over the hump. 69 in august been playing gigs since i was 12..love my 2 old fender tremolux' and this victory head has the sweetest distortion hard to give it up but I'll keep after it..thanks for the help. much appreciated
You'll make it.
I have three bins full of closely-packed pedals, some of them now vintage. 15 tube amps and some monster tube power amps. Still have three tube preamps, including one with nine (count 'em) 12 AX7 tubes and eleven gain stages on the fourth channel.

It was the tap dance on the pedal board that got me thinking, when I tried to change three pedals at once. The modeler not only did it with a single stomp (a complicated MIDI setup let me do that), but allowed me to use a different setting on each of the FX I'd been playing through. Kneeling down during a gig, sweating into my pedalboard and trying to figure out which of the connector chords had given up the ghost preyed on my mind as well.

In the end, I made the switch gradually, and before the Helix I had just the HD500X and a Two-Notes Torpedo C.A.B. between me and the PA and it was glorious.

NotScott

Reaction score
I am running an HX FX as my processing into a Komet 60. So far, I am very happy with it. I have it setup to make the Komet run as a 3-channel amp with a little reverb and a lead volume boost. It is easy to program and sounds fine. My only issue with it has been trying to run a 4-wire setup with my Carol-Ann or Dr. Z. The ground loops are a bitch but I realize that is more a function of the amp and interfaces than the FX unit.

Jim Klein

Reaction score
my plan was to get the HX FX unit but this LT came up for the same price so I went for it. having fun learning how to use it.. getting past the frustration ..ha. now I have it split off to both my victory head and my '63 tremolux with a reverb pedal on the fender.. space.. getting very pat metheny around here.. nice!!

Latest Threads