Helix

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have had one for years.

drew365

Reaction score
I'm still using my Helix floor as my #1 rig. I'll be gigging with it in Las Vegas on July 4th.
I still have a stomp rig also, and I still have tube amps that never get used.

TheWelder

Reaction score
A little late to the party on this thread, but I have an HX Stomp which uses Helix software but in a smaller stop box style package. As someone who has historically not cared for amp modeling, I'm frankly blown away by this unit. It sounds and feels great, and while very deep, it's still pretty easy to dive in and dial up satisfying sounds with pretty minimal effort. I'm so impressed that I'm considering running it direct to FOH for my next gig (it's tough to take that plunge, though).

El Pablo

Reaction score
I still enjoy mine. The last update was particularly good. I love the orange amp and acoustic sim..

Due to Covid, it's been well over a year since my last gig with it. For live use, it was a huge relief to the setup/teardown process.

At home I find myself using it half and half vs my tube amps. For me, it is a great tool for creating song writing.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
With the oversampling trickery the L6 team did for the last update, the Helix really went from something that was good enough to something great. I love higher gain stuff, but could never really get the high gain amps to sound right... I would always compromise and use the Friedman model. Now the Friedman model was always awesome, but it wasn't the thick amp distortion I sometimes wanted. With the new update, most of the high gain amps seem more usable to me. The Revv amps, the Archon, the Ubershall and even the Soldano sound much better.

Also, the Rockerverb model with the treble booster is amazing.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Still using mine...

Actually the pedal mounts broke off last month and I had to contact line 6 about a fix or replacement.

They were great and spun me out a replacement within 3 days!

20210428_195018.jpg
20210429_064825.jpg

i had it for a weekend show!
20210501_162803.jpg
20210516_154637.jpg

Sounds sooooo awesome through my new Magnatone too!! It's a great pedal platform. Very lush sounding and it really brings out the nuances of the Helix.

Of course it sounds amazing on it's own too.

Magnatone avvy.jpg

20210516_154536.jpg

Jim Klein

Reaction score
just got a helix Lt ... not sure if I can get used to it.. old guy ..maybe too much for me to get used to..can't find an amp model that sings like my victory head [govan model] the effects are good but still sound kind of sterile to me. my son has a helix and loves it..talked old dad into it..ha.just seems like it has so much stuff i will never use.. jury still out..we'll see

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
just got a helix Lt ... not sure if I can get used to it.. old guy ..maybe too much for me to get used to..can't find an amp model that sings like my victory head [govan model] the effects are good but still sound kind of sterile to me. my son has a helix and loves it..talked old dad into it..ha.just seems like it has so much stuff i will never use.. jury still out..we'll see
How are you running the LT? Into a guitar amp input? studio monitors?

Jim Klein

Reaction score
using the four cord deal with my victory head on a Dr. Z 2x10 cab or a marshall 4x10 cab. my son uses a powered speaker.I'm also splitting it to my '63 tremolux...my usual rig is the victory and the tremolux using an A/B box ..been using the boss me80 for the effects in the loop of the victory head and keeping the fender clean with a little reverb. maybe I'm just so used to my rig ,its hard to hear it any other way.. old guy syndrome ?hard to teach an old dog a new trick i guess.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
using the four cord deal with my victory head on a Dr. Z 2x10 cab or a marshall 4x10 cab. my son uses a powered speaker.I'm also splitting it to my '63 tremolux...my usual rig is the victory and the tremolux using an A/B box ..been using the boss me80 for the effects in the loop of the victory head and keeping the fender clean with a little reverb. maybe I'm just so used to my rig ,its hard to hear it any other way.. old guy syndrome ?hard to teach an old dog a new trick i guess.
Yup, that could be why you aren't hearing the Helix properly.

The Helix is built to be run through a normal full range speaker. It can of course be run though an amp, but a super clean amp would be better.

The Helix has stuff under the hood to make it sound like a full amp AND speaker cab of your choice without needing the amp itself to run through.

Amps by nature color the sound. We pick them based on what color we like best.

So essentially, your amp is re-coloring the sound of the Helix when you play through it.

If you can do some reading up on the amps and cabinets and what they are called in Helix I'll bet you could find your combo in there. Then the amp controls in the Helix should match and work like the ones on your real amp.

Dial them in and play around with them till you get where you are looking to go. Then save it as a preset on one of the foot switches.

I also agree about the bewildering amount of stuff in there. I have 6 preset sounds that I use , one on each foot switch.

I cycle between them depending on what I'm playing. Very basic.

I was playing through stage monitors for years and it sounded good enough for me.

Your son has the right idea. Maybe you could 'borrow' his speaker to help you get yours set up.

Jim Klein

Reaction score
that is likely it. just hard to give in to the digital age i guess..my intent was to just use it as my effects unit ..also i guess its because i have so much dough into all this vintage gear. lol hard to leave it home and play thru a pa spkr. mental block? no stage cool factor..ha I'll stick with it for a while and see if you guys and my son can get me over the hump. 69 in august been playing gigs since i was 12..love my 2 old fender tremolux' and this victory head has the sweetest distortion hard to give it up but I'll keep after it..thanks for the help. much appreciated

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
that is likely it. just hard to give in to the digital age i guess..my intent was to just use it as my effects unit ..also i guess its because i have so much dough into all this vintage gear. lol hard to leave it home and play thru a pa spkr. mental block? no stage cool factor..ha I'll stick with it for a while and see if you guys and my son can get me over the hump. 69 in august been playing gigs since i was 12..love my 2 old fender tremolux' and this victory head has the sweetest distortion hard to give it up but I'll keep after it..thanks for the help. much appreciated
I'm pretty sure you can run a Helix as a stomp box effect only unit if that's what you want.

The guys with more experience can tell you, but I'm pretty sure it has 2 modes of operation.

One is full modeler with amp and cabs and another for effects only.

Hopefully someone will chime in on that.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
@Jim Klein instead of using the four cable method, try plugging the Helix directly into the fx loop return. When using amp models in this way, do not use cabs or IRs within the Helix because you are using real guitar speakers.

If you want to use it for FX only, just don't put any amp blocks in the HX chain.

Whenever I get new gear, I have to give my ears time to adjust, whether it be pickups or amps or modelers.

Apologies if you already know this stuff.

Jim Klein

Reaction score
all good info , joey [my son] is teaching the old man..he has it down but he mostly just records and doesn't play out much. I'll pass on what you said and we will reconfigure the cable set up. see what happens. I was looking at the helix effects unit but joe's pal sold me his brand new Lt for the same price as the stomp so it was foolish not to get the whole deal. I'll keep after it and let you guys know how it goes.. thanks for the help. and yes it took a while to get ''my'' sound out of the victory head but now its hard to use anything else.new gear..old ears

mdubya

Reaction score
I say if you are happy with your analog setup, the Helix will not replace it.

But...if you have a need of some sort: lower volume, different amps all in one box, an easy recording interface, etc., the Helix will do all of that.

Like anything, it is different from what you already have. However, it can do things your analog rig cannot. I would concentrate on its strengths and possibilities.

JMHO.

FWIW - I got into modeling for the low volume possibilities. I started out reluctantly. Now, my Fractal AX8 is all I use. It does so many cool things, at some point I left my old Marshall and my old Fender behind. Every time I see something analog that gets me excited, I dial something up in the AX8 that tickles all of that fancy.

I live for drippy, pulsating deep reverb and tremolo rhythm tones with chewy, fuzzy lead tones. My stuff does not sound digital in the least, IMHO.

Most of the time, I think I would be very hard pressed to match the tones I get from my digital rig with a real amp setup. I certainly couldn't get those tones at the modest volumes I now play.

Last edited:

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
I live for drippy, pulsating deep reverb and tremolo rhythm tones with chewy, fuzzy lead tones. My stuff does not sound digital in the least, IMHO.

Most of the time, I think I would be very hard pressed to match the tones I get from my digital rig with a real amp setup. I certainly couldn't get those tones at the modest volumes I now play.
:h5:

Jim Klein

Reaction score
i think its just the learning curve and I'm at pole position one..kind of overwhelms me.. I like reverb to be lush and a bit of delay[all along the watchtower is my hallmark for that and sometimes the old Ce-1 chorus. wah pedal and the rest is nice fender clean with the victory head for my lead/distorted sound. play small room gigs so low vol. is my deal too. blues , old soul tunes , some hendrix stuff to please the folks.. the victory head I play on the 7 watt setting most of the time, it goes 40watts or 7 ..nice for the living room and the small gigs.40 if i need it for bigger rooms or outside stuff. thanks for all the help guys, why i like the forum always helpful and new ideas. might just have to retire the echoplex!

Latest Threads