Helix Vs Fractal Vs Headrush

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. I've had a Helix for two years and didn't even know about Pedal Edit Mode until just now, as I just read it in the article. Cool!

mdubya

Reaction score
Great article @Joeydego.

I have always felt that Fractal had the best, out of the box, models and IR's. No need to go aftermarket or spend endless hours building and tweaking presets.

That said, I could see myself owning a Helix LT and a Powercab Plus and being set for life, pretty much. The features and capabilities of the LT are incredible for the $$$.

I am not the best judge of gain-y models, but the Friedman, Orange, Diezel, Bogner, Rectifier (and other Mesa) etc. models are super impressive when I have tried them.

Pwrmac7600

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I finally got a chance to read this, good article. Although I don't own all three units I agree with a lot of the assessments from the demos I have heard of them.
I've owned a plethora of Line 6 units in the past, dating back to the original pod, and agree with your assessments.
I have to admit, it makes me feel pretty good to see somebody such as yourself come around to the modeling options out there. Just for the sheer joy in playing that they bring to those who use them. In my own personal experience it was the best investment I ever made musically.

I know a while back you had had stated you tried some units and weren't that thrilled with the feel and response of them, glad to see you gave them a second shot, the the new firmware has really come a long way on both Helix and fractal and added a lot to the feel and response of the units. Really happy to see from your postings on the fractal forum that you're enjoying the ax8 so much. And as for my question above how you're liking the Friedman models, I see you're really digging the Friedman 2018 model.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So I finally got a chance to read this, good article. Although I don't own all three units I agree with a lot of the assessments from the demos I have heard of them.
I've owned a plethora of Line 6 units in the past, dating back to the original pod, and agree with your assessments.
I have to admit, it makes me feel pretty good to see somebody such as yourself come around to the modeling options out there. Just for the sheer joy in playing that they bring to those who use them. In my own personal experience it was the best investment I ever made musically.

I know a while back you had had stated you tried some units and weren't that thrilled with the feel and response of them, glad to see you gave them a second shot, the the new firmware has really come a long way on both Helix and fractal and added a lot to the feel and response of the units. Really happy to see from your postings on the fractal forum that you're enjoying the ax8 so much. And as for my question above how you're liking the Friedman models, I see you're really digging the Friedman 2018 model.
Hey there. Just got a chance to chime back in here. Yes the Friedman 2018 as well as the other BE/HBE models are pretty much dead balls on. I played years ago the original Fractal Axe FX and was underwhelmed. The AX8 has been a direct replacement for a 10k dollar rig I was running around with to make 100 bucks in a bar. When the monitoring is right, there is no difference in sound at all. I’m using crap (stock) in ears for now but I have my pole in the water for a few high end pairs for product testing in the near future. I haven’t played with the Helix much since the review but the models for the most part were great. I recorded an entire album with a POD Pro years ago and even that wasn’t completely horrible when I listen back. Line 6 has come a long way. The Headrush honesty left me somewhat underwhelmed but I think there is a lot of room for improvement. The platform is excellent. BTW, on an unrelated note, I’ve learned some REALLY slick tricks (thanks to Larry Mitchell who was so gracious in letting me watch him work at home) with using canned drums. No more drag and drop for me. It’s just so much easier to program from the ground up. Let’s chat on an unrelated thread or inbox about that.

Pwrmac7600

Premium Member
Reaction score
. BTW, on an unrelated note, I’ve learned some REALLY slick tricks (thanks to Larry Mitchell who was so gracious in letting me watch him work at home) with using canned drums. No more drag and drop for me. It’s just so much easier to program from the ground up. Let’s chat on an unrelated thread or inbox about that.
Absolutely always love discovering tips and tricks when it comes to drums.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Absolutely always love discovering tips and tricks when it comes to drums.
Do you work in protools? I think I remember you saying you did. CTL+ brings up the midi editor, which I never used before in my life. Id always painfully add and subtract midi notes on the instrument track. With the editor, it sort of blows up the track and gives you a million sub commands to control velocity and everything else on the fly. I penciled this entire drumtrack from dead air, its the first thing I did without a single drag and drop groove. My groove is now much more accurate, and the feel is perfect for the piece, as opposed to getting the piece changed around the pre recorded groove. Check it out. Even the pads on this is the Fractal, BTW
https://soundcloud.com/brucesokolovic/test_2-final

Zungle

Reaction score
Do you work in protools? I think I remember you saying you did. CTL+ brings up the midi editor, which I never used before in my life. Id always painfully add and subtract midi notes on the instrument track. With the editor, it sort of blows up the track and gives you a million sub commands to control velocity and everything else on the fly. I penciled this entire drumtrack from dead air, its the first thing I did without a single drag and drop groove. My groove is now much more accurate, and the feel is perfect for the piece, as opposed to getting the piece changed around the pre recorded groove. Check it out. Even the pads on this is the Fractal, BTW
https://soundcloud.com/brucesokolovic/test_2-final
Have you tried using MIDI Groove clips yet ?

Pre Arranged MIDI drum loops that are editable ....

You can find a Groove thats close...yet edit anyway you need just as you are now.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Have you tried using MIDI Groove clips yet ?

Pre Arranged MIDI drum loops that are editable ....

You can find a Groove thats close...yet edit anyway you need just as you are now.
Oh yes, of course. It’s what I used to do exclusively. I found myself changing the part or the groove to fit the loop. With my current workflow, I now write the drum part to perfectly fit my ideas. Yea you can edit the loops, but they’re never really perfect. Building them from what’s in your head is perfect.

Zungle

Reaction score
Oh yes, of course. It’s what I used to do exclusively. I found myself changing the part or the groove to fit the loop. With my current workflow, I now write the drum part to perfectly fit my ideas. Yea you can edit the loops, but they’re never really perfect. Building them from what’s in your head is perfect.

Latest Threads