Helix HX Effects - Who Owns One

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone,

I purchased the Helix HX Effects Multi-Effects Unit this past week and it is definitely worth the money paid. I liked the price of the Firehawk FX a couple years ago because it had software to tweak your settings which worked really well and back then the Helix HX Effects was $200 more and did not have any software you could use to control it with, so I passed on it. I could not get the Firehawk FX to work properly with the 4 Cable method and when using the 3 cable method, you still had to put everything after the pre-amp FXLoop block with the software. I did liked that you could use a couple Modulation effects at one time though, but it was still limited for me. I enjoyed it and it worked pretty well, but I looked out every now and then for something better. I found recently that you could use the HX Edit software with all Helix products including the HX Effects and read it worked pretty well, so figured I would give it a try. I like that I can chain up to 9 blocks of effects/loops/external pedals and such together giving a lot of flexibility as well as using the 4 cable method putting effects in front of the Pre-Amp and after the Pre-Amp. This is the best Multi-Effects unit that I have every used and I like that it is just effects since I don't need amp models or anything else but all my effects in one unit rather than a huge expensive pedal board.

Does anyone else have the HX Effects? How are you using it and how do you like it?

stilwel

Reaction score
I have had an HXFX since shortly after they were released last year. Love it. I’ve always been a fan of the L6 effects going back to the 4-button modelers , the rack modelers and the M13. So many unique options. The HX replaced my M13 which I really loved and was a game changer at the time. HX has upped the game yet again.

I use it with a Digitech Freqout pedal and a standard L6 expression pedal. Does everything I need and sounds killer into the front of any clean pedal platform type amp. I’ve used it in front of several Fender combos including Blues Jr, Hot Rod Deluxe and most recently in front of a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb.

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
I am on the fence between this and the Headrush Gigboard right now, as my TC G-Major is starting to flake out.
I don't use any amp modeling, distortions or sims.
I just want time based effects, a noise gate, and an EQ in my loop.
I want 'presets'
A MIDI out to control the JVM.
No four cable crap.

I like the Headrush screen, but I haven't had anyone confirm if it can just be connected into a head's loop. The manual just shows guitar to gigboard, gigboard to head...or, the 4 cable connection.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I am on the fence between this and the Headrush Gigboard right now, as my TC G-Major is starting to flake out.
I don't use any amp modeling, distortions or sims.
I just want time based effects, a noise gate, and an EQ in my loop.
I want 'presets'
A MIDI out to control the JVM.
No four cable crap.

I like the Headrush screen, but I haven't had anyone confirm if it can just be connected into a head's loop. The manual just shows guitar to gigboard, gigboard to head...or, the 4 cable connection.
I am pretty sure you will be able to use it just through the loop, that is one of the main basic setups for them. Guitar into Amp and the Loop In/Out through your Multif Effects Loop In/Out.

tzd

Reaction score
You can use HX Effects solely within the FX Loop of the amp. That should actually work better than 4 cable method, as you will not have signal levels mismatch.