Helix and poweramp question

Malikon

말 러 곤
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, using this Helix with the L and R lines out...

into these two powercabs...

I could ping-pong the signal between the amps for stereo effects? Like having tremelo or flange moving back and forth from one speaker to the other? Use a wah on one but not the other?

Have one speaker a clean guitar and the other speaker a distorted guitar? Or one speaker 'British' OD and the other 'American' OD for a combined sound?

Basically I could split the signal and do different things with each cab at the same time using the Helix floorpedal?

Very curious whether that would work, it opens up some interesting options. Even having one cab detuned an octave lower? (Does the Helix even have a detuning or harmonizing effect?) ... one speaker doing the harmony would be really cool.

Thanks.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Yes to all.

You can run two independent paths with one guitar input. One of the best benefits of going digital with this stuff is doing creative routing like you're describing.

At home, I run Helix stereo through my studio monitors, placed directly in front of me, and my Powecab behing me where the stereo signal is summed to mono. It sounds so big! I get the stereo effects in front of me and the "balls" of a 1x12 behind me.

Helix de-tuning is not polyphonic (they will probably have a future update to make polyphonic pitch-shifting), so chords sound like shit when you downtune via Helix, but the single note harmony stuff, especially octave stuff, sounds killer.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Malikon

말 러 곤
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I used to like running a clean cab and then another one for OD, but this sounds way cooler.

...reaching the tipping point. It's an investment,.. and I guess kind of an odd one since I'm not full-time gigging anymore.

But damn it sure looks like it would be a really fun system to play with.

And I'm telling myself if I buy the 5150 amp I wanted and a bunch of effects, .. that wouldn't be cheap either. So either way will cost,.. but the Helix and cabs are sort of a complete package in that you're getting a ton of amps/cabs/effects all in one system. And if I suddenly decide I want to use a Wah,.. or something,... it's already right there, I don't have to buy yet another pedal.

Been watching reviews and more and more it just seems like a really cool option.

dspelman

Reaction score
-pong the signal between the amps for stereo effects? Like having tremelo or flange moving back and forth from one speaker to the other? Use a wah on one but not the other?
Yup.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
I do have the 2 PC+ 112, linked with an Helix rack. You can go all digital through L6 Link protocol and control everything in the cabs via helix, per preset or global.

They sounds great indeed!

matthew bear

Reaction score
I don't know if you have 2 guitar cabs kicking around, but I really like the helix with real cabs over the powercab.

So, you could get a power amp and Helix, and power 2 existing guitar cabs... Of course that's assuming you have them and love them.

The powercab is cool though, I don't want to give a false impression that it's no bueno...

mdubya

Reaction score
I would get one power cab (or some other monitor, probably) and split the second signal to a guitar cab or run through the return of an effects loop on an amp. That would give you even more options, IMHO.

I don't know about the Helix, but the gain-y amps in the AX8 are foo king wicked. I am sure the Helix stuff is great, too. For entertaining yourself at home and home recording, you will have zero regrets.

mdubya

Reaction score
I just saw this and it looks interesting if you want the option for volume.

I am very pleased with my XiTone.

That said, at low volume, my Presonus e4.5s are unbelievably good.

matthew bear

Reaction score
I just saw this and it looks interesting if you want the option for volume.

I am very pleased with my XiTone.

That said, at low volume, my Presonus e4.5s are unbelievably good.

Powercab killer! I'm a V30 guy person myself, I'd love to hear this in person :hmm:

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I have a PS170 and a Mesa 212 recto cab.. and I know it’ll limit its capabilities being it’s a conventional cab... but how much am I missing out compared to a power cab ?

drew365

Reaction score
I have a PS170 and a Mesa 212 recto cab.. and I know it’ll limit its capabilities being it’s a conventional cab... but how much am I missing out compared to a power cab ?
I don't think you're missing out tone wise. I'm currently running my Helix through a PS170 and an open back 2x12 CAB with Webers. This was a big change for me, but I'm totally enjoying it. My PowerCab+ gives me a lot of options and I always thought it sounded pretty good. But after A/B ing the two rigs side by side with the same patches, I decided to go with the 2x12 cab and keep the PC+ as backup. I really don't want to haul around a 2x12 to band practice and gigs, but it really sounds that good. I'm running the PS170 nearly flat, except I'm boosting a little bass. M & T set at 12 noon. Yes I'm stuck with one cab sound and I don't get to spend hours buying and auditioning hundreds of IR's. But that one cab sounds great, so I'll live with it.
Prior to the PC+, I was using a DXR12 for about 1 1/2 years. So going back to a standard cab is not something I was ever expecting. In fact I had the PS170 for probably 6 or 8 months without ever giving it a good workout because I thought it was just going to be an emergency backup option. I wasn't expecting it to become part of my main rig. But when you suddenly hear the tone you've been chasing, you just have to accept it and not try to justify it.

Reactions: mmd

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I don't think you're missing out tone wise. I'm currently running my Helix through a PS170 and an open back 2x12 CAB with Webers. This was a big change for me, but I'm totally enjoying it. My PowerCab+ gives me a lot of options and I always thought it sounded pretty good. But after A/B ing the two rigs side by side with the same patches, I decided to go with the 2x12 cab and keep the PC+ as backup. I really don't want to haul around a 2x12 to band practice and gigs, but it really sounds that good. I'm running the PS170 nearly flat, except I'm boosting a little bass. M & T set at 12 noon. Yes I'm stuck with one cab sound and I don't get to spend hours buying and auditioning hundreds of IR's. But that one cab sounds great, so I'll live with it.
Prior to the PC+, I was using a DXR12 for about 1 1/2 years. So going back to a standard cab is not something I was ever expecting. In fact I had the PS170 for probably 6 or 8 months without ever giving it a good workout because I thought it was just going to be an emergency backup option. I wasn't expecting it to become part of my main rig. But when you suddenly hear the tone you've been chasing, you just have to accept it and not try to justify it.
well the types of amps or preamps that I lean toward are usually coupled with a V30 cab anyhow... yeah the cab is hefty but I’m probably gonna put removable casters to help move it around.. then pop them off so it can sit on the floor.. it definitely gives a real amp feel to have the traditional cab..i need to get my volume levels right now..it’s a tedious task but I think once I get them matched up it’ll be a better experience for me...

drew365

Reaction score
In reading about the two Weber speakers in my cab, (12A150, 12F150), they apparently emulate Fender speakers. One a blackface and one a tweed. So I think I'm getting a minimum amount of coloring, but just enough to make it interesting.

Reactions: mmd

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I recently picked up an open back 25w greenback 212... I may experiment with it some with the helix.. I won’t be able to crank it as much since they’re lower wattage speakers.. just wonder how It’ll sound with the more vintage sounding amp blocks..