Heavy metal turns 50 today.

DotStudio

Reaction score
I'm late to the Sabbath party, having only started listening to them over the past year. I think people write off Ozzy too quickly since he's not a virtuosic singer. He was incredibly gifted at creating unique and engaging vocal melodies, which I think is a huge piece of the puzzle for turning a good song into a great one. Think of how many great riffs you've heard (or created) in your life that just fall flat once vocals are added, no matter how epic the actual words are or how pleasing the singer's voice is. It comes down to the melody.

He might not have had the pipes of some of the other guys, but he was pretty damn amazing at making a song "pop". In my opinion, they were all equally important in making the band what it was.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
Black Sabbath's debut album was released on Friday the 13th of February 1970.

There had been heavy metal songs before, undoubtedly, but no band before had made an entire album of the stuff until Sabbath hit the scene. So I'll argue till the day I die that Heavy Metal as a genre was born on this day.

im pretty sure born to be wild by steppenwolf was first AND included the the "heavy metal thunder" in the song.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Kay was pretty badass up there in his black leather belting out Born to Be Wild.

They ain't no Sabbath though. Even to this day there are legions of bands that still make music to sound just like Sabbath. There are way, WAY fewer Steppenwolf rip off groups.

The_Nuge

Reaction score
I'm playing the LP as I'm writing this - still great stuff!

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
This may be my favourite video of all time. I use it in my English classes when I'm explaining serendipity. But Tony also explains how he got his sound. What a wonderful, horrifying accident!

Cool vid.

Didn't Jimi Hendrix opt for custom gauge earlier, including one of the first to use a plain G string?

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
-Tell the world love is still alive, you must be brave

FWIW, I totally agree with you. But for me, there is something about the Sabs nihilism, that at heart, is hopeful for something better.
Sabbath's lyrics at their heart were a call to action. They didn't revel in misery, they fucking hated being miserable and they were assured that we could make it better.

Sabbath's lyrics never revered evil forces, they were fearful of them.

Geezer wrote the lyrics to "Fairies Wear Boots" after he got the shit kicked out of him by a group of boot wearing skinheads in London.
Geezer himself says it was Ozzy:

DotStudio

Reaction score
I know I’m on a lot of cold meds right now...so my head might not be clear.

Were there people earlier in the thread who were saying that Zep lyrics were superior to Sabbath?

There’s not a single Zep song that makes a damn bit of sense.

Except maybe Gallows Pole and Tangerine.

I love Zep, but lyrics?
Sounds like your hedgerow is a bit bustled.

Banastre

Reaction score
I'd say Zep isn't metal at all, and they certainly wouldn't consider themselves that either I'd think. I and II are overdriven Blues, with some Folk influences/references. 'Power' songs- by that I mean riff songs, done heavy, but not with metal-type scales/modes. Naw, Zep were never metal.

Pappy58

Reaction score
Ike Turner

and Sabbath were the first unabashed "Metal" band trying to play music that was A Horror Movie done with music.

Being loud or distorted doesn't equal Metal. Sabbath were flat out trying to sing about blood and death and scare the shit out of people. They were Anti-Hippie-PeaceLoveFlowerPower. They were trying to shit all over that.

They're the Godfathers of Metal. :dude:
IDK, War Pig was very hippiesk!

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
I'd say Zep isn't metal at all, and they certainly wouldn't consider themselves that either I'd think. I and II are overdriven Blues, with some Folk influences/references. 'Power' songs- by that I mean riff songs, done heavy, but not with metal-type scales/modes. Naw, Zep were never metal.
I wouldn’t call them a Metal band, I don’t think anyone really does but they are on the Metal Tree.

Certainly originators of the heavy sounds and vocal styles of what later became more commonly know as Metal, including folk Metal, Neo-classical and even Progressive to a certain degree, as well as Hard Rock which I guess they get most credit for.

Off the top of my head, I think “Immigrant Song” is Metal as anything.

“Kashmir” has eastern modality common in Metal,

and “Achilles Last Stand” is an early Power/Viking Metal epic jam to my ears.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Kinda, but they definitely had metal songs. They are too diverse to be real metal, proto-metal is a strong maybe.

Moby Dick is in a dropped tunning with distortion and has a badass blues based riff so heavy it needs a crain to lift it.

It just isn't scary sounding.

That's the feature that most defined early metal in comparison to other bands. As metal matured it was ok to be metal and not scary. It's a grey area of perception.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
We already did, back in #43, lol.

Seriously though, if you like Sabbath it's pretty damn good.

Reactions: Who

rabidhamster

Reaction score
I’d always thought Fairies wear boots was a beef tune shit talking Judas Priest.

Reactions: Who

Latest Threads