Heavier Guitars Sound Thicker?

GearHo

Reaction score
Guitar weight has NO bearing on tone,period.

I have had heavy guitars that sounded thin and brittle, and ones that sounded big and fat. I have a 6.5 lb tele that sounds big and fat, and once owned a strat that weighed over 9lbs, that was shrill, and lifeless.

Weight became a topic of great conversation, right around the time that many players started to get older, and all of a sudden weight became an issue. Then it morphed into a tone issue, les Paul's now were limited to 9 lbs, or less, because that's where the tonal boundary ended.

If it sounds good it is good, weight has nothing to do with anything other than they get tiresome to leave strapped on for several hours.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

bluesguitar1972

Reaction score
false
I've owned an 11 pound LP that was great, and I've played an 11lb LP that was a dog. I've played lighter guitars that resonate very well, and other that don't. I've bought/traded probably 200+ higher end guitars in the past 8 years or so, and I've seen no correlation either way between weight and tone.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I did a lot of tone searching last weekend (gonna use a different rig at our next gig) and by far, my heaviest and thickest guitar (the Northern) is the brightest and punchiest (exactly how I LOVE it).

korus

Reaction score
Yes. Heavier guitar of the same model (same parts, same setup) always have stronger low overtones.

People with relatively average hearing ability might get confused in what they hear by too hard metal hardware that shifts whole tone towards higher frequency range. Hearing loud and sharp, shrill treble caused by wrong hardware (too hard alloys) masks lows and cloud perception of low overtones.

There is a easy tweak at hand to help hear/comprehend to anyone with any hearing ability. Remove treble the same way on guitars being compared. Roll off tone pot all the way down, to 0 on guitars of the same model being compared. With tone pot on 0 heavier guitar will be louder, because it has stronger low overtones, due to greater mass/being heavier while having the same dimensions. Obviusly, the difference will be more obvious, pronounced with heavier (vs lighter) gauge strings on both/all guitars, and if played on wound strings (vs plain ones) on both/all guitars being compared, of the same model, same parts, same setup.

Surely, use too hard/wrong metal hardware on a guitar and play it into bright setup amp and any guitar will sound exactly like mosquito, or mosquito's fart. Regardless, heavier one will still have louder low overtones, but it will be harder for untrained ear to detect.

I guess there is no way for all of us to avoid all these, many and long but utterly obsolete discussions if laws of physics are correct, caused by limitations of general public's hearing ability as long as general public is buying/paying for millions of guitars per year.

S.A.T.O.

Reaction score
One small factor I always felt contributed to thick tone was how snug the heel of a guitar neck fit into the neck joint on the guitar body. I’ve always felt that’s the leg up Gibson and other manufacturers have that don’t use bolt on necks.

Rick

Reaction score
How the hell can a guitar sound "thick?" What does that even mean? Pretty sure it doesn't sound like much of anything at all until you plug it into an AMP.

S.A.T.O.

Reaction score
How the hell can a guitar sound "thick?" What does that even mean? Pretty sure it doesn't sound like much of anything at all until you plug it into an AMP.
It’s a figure of speech. That said I when I go to store and check an axe out I always play it unplugged. If it’s resonant without being plugged in an amp chances are it will sound amazing through an amp.

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Some folks can evidently while blindfolded, wearing only a football helmet and swim fins, just smell the speaker after listening to a wav file of a Lester he's never seen and tell you what the binding tech at Gib had for lunch his second day in third grade....
Sardonia down to a Fine Art.

Thank <your Diety here> you are here, ehb. :applause:

Reactions: ehb

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sardonia down to a Fine Art.

Thank <your Diety here> you are here, ehb. :applause:
You are most welcome,my friend. I do what I can....

:cool2:

Mookakian

Reaction score
Ive seen tone wood argumenters say mass is more dictative on sound, and now ive seen mass argumenters say wood type has more impact on tone...

To say either has no effect is a bit weird, truth is... We will never know for sure without a test eleminating the variables first hand, ive done this, i found every element of material change manipulates the tone, might not be alot and the crowd might not hear it, unless of course the player feels it and c9mes alive with what they deem a priceless combination of all components making up a guitar.

Ive tried hundreds of axes, some personally built, Its nice to have kept and own 4 kickass guitars, A basswood/maple tele with buckers, a mahogany bc jr, an ibanez lawsuit strat and a baritone alder/maple tele... I tend towards non chambered solid bodies as it suits me, and if you try take one off me ill prob kick a bloke in the balls for the 1st time without thinking :laugh2: