Heartbreaker solo BBC version on 6 different historics; tone comparison

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Okay, this is yet another tone comparison thread. I am playing my version of Jimmy Page's first solo in Heartbreaker from the BBC sessions. It may not be the best one to use for comparison but....that is what I did. Also, in each video, I may have done a better job playing different parts of the solo. And, yes there are plenty of mistakes. Unfortunately, I can not play the solo close to perfect 6 times in a row, much less doing so with different guitars that have different necks, action, feel, etc.! :laugh2: So, whether I was "on" better at one part of a video for one guitar versus another will clearly factor in to which guitar might sound better in this thread. All of them are superb instruments. I can't go wrong choosing any of them when I am deciding which one to play. The videos below are not in any particular order.

1) 2003 1960 Reissue Les Paul (Brazilian fret board, 100% stock):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5tvAnu-SwM]Led Zeppelin Heartbreaker BBC Solo cover 2003 R0 Les Paul Brazilian fret board - YouTube[/ame]

2) 2003 1959 Reissue Les Paul (Brazilian fret board, 1959 PAFs):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nKqnr2TIYM]Led Zeppelin Heartbreaker BBC Solo cover 2003 R9 Les Paul Brazilian fret board - YouTube[/ame]

3) 2003 1960 Reissue Les Paul Stinger (Brazilian fret board, 1959 PAFs, pots, and caps):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAl9AXzi6ZA]Led Zeppelin Heartbreaker BBC Solo cover on a 2003 1960 reissue Les Paul Stinger - YouTube[/ame]

4) 1998 1959 Reissue Les Paul (1959 PAFs, pots, and caps):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzjfSoFpX5E]Led Zeppelin Heartbreaker BBC Solo cover 1998 R9 Les Paul - YouTube[/ame]

5) 2009 1959 Reissue Les Paul VOS (I learned the solo on this one; 2003 double cream burstbucker 2 & burstbucker 3):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJDZdzkhjSE]Led Zeppelin Heartbreaker BBC Solo cover 2009 R9 Les Paul VOS - YouTube[/ame]

6) 2004 Jimmy Page #1 Les Paul Murphy aged (100% stock):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S63xDpwg1Eg]Led Zeppelin Heartbreaker BBC Solo cover 2004 Jimmy Page #1 Murphy aged Les Paul - YouTube[/ame]

Matt_21

Reaction score
I gotta say...I like 6,2,4 for my top three. In that order. Just from listening. Nice playing.

delawaregold

_______Artie_______
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

3, 1, 6, 2, 4, 5.

My opinion is based not so much on the BBC recording,
with which I am less familiar, but more with the tone I
hear from the 1969 album, Led Zeppelin II, an album
that I grew up with.
I was judging the characteristics of the string bends,
where I believe the guitars ability to recreate the
complex harmonics is most distinct.
It is in the bends where I think you can say the tone
either gets there, or it doesn’t.

jason_mazzy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
play the last 2 together, they are almost synced. sounds awesome.

lespaul01

Banned
Reaction score
With just a quick watch o eah 3 & 6 were my favs for the first run through.

Nice playing thanks.

zoork_1

Reaction score
Thanks!

BTW, to my ears the PAF's sounds different, not better just different.

/z

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

3, 1, 6, 2, 4, 5.

My opinion is based not so much on the BBC recording,
with which I am less familiar, but more with the tone I
hear from the 1969 album, Led Zeppelin II, an album
that I grew up with.
I was judging the characteristics of the string bends,
where I believe the guitars ability to recreate the
complex harmonics is most distinct.
It is in the bends where I think you can say the tone
either gets there, or it doesn’t.

Thanks. The original recording was made when Page's #1 still had the double white 1959 PAF in the bridge. The original is here at the 1:51 mark:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq_sCDYCGwU]Led Zeppelin - Heartbreaker - YouTube[/ame]

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
With just a quick watch o eah 3 & 6 were my favs for the first run through.

Nice playing thanks.

Funny, those are the two where I got lucky & hit that harmonic when I was bending the string. I have a feeling that most people will like those two because of that. Unfortunately, I could have accidentally hit that harmonic on any of them! LOL

Pinkie

Reaction score
Great job on all the clips.
Not my thing but you nailed JP.

JPP373

Reaction score
This is Very Cool..First, Thank you for taking the time to do this Demo and sharing with us. I feel #6 just Nails the Tone without a Ton of Harmonics. No Surprise to you i'm sure. However, i don't think Page is Known for his Harmonics like say..Eddie Van Halen. Which is almost a Strange Irony, Due to your love of EVH, becuase i think any second your going to Break out and do EVH's Eruption. That's a Compliment cuz man you're getting Really Fast and Blasting Harmonics Everywhere. The PAF, in combo with your Style, Very much sounds like EVH's first Album. SHouldn't be a Surprise cuz a 59 PAF is what EVH gives Big Credit for his tone/sound. A surprise 2nd was #1 Video followed closely by #3. Crazy, cuz how Good does #1 sound AND with STOCK PUP's-Amazing. All sound Great but if its LZ your After the #1 is the # ONE. EVH Followers would kill or Die to Have your Tone and Ability cuz if you Played Eruption we'd all be on our Feet in Amazement!

RAG7890

Reaction score
Father's Day here in Australia.............sorry John don't have time too listen to all the clips but I will tonight through a set of headphones rather than my crappy laptop speakers & then I'll post a rating for my ears. Cheers. :)

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This is Very Cool..First, Thank you for taking the time to do this Demo and sharing with us. I feel #6 just Nails the Tone without a Ton of Harmonics. No Surprise to you i'm sure. However, i don't think Page is Known for his Harmonics like say..Eddie Van Halen. Which is almost a Strange Irony, Due to your love of EVH, becuase i think any second your going to Break out and do EVH's Eruption. That's a Compliment cuz man you're getting Really Fast and Blasting Harmonics Everywhere. The PAF, in combo with your Style, Very much sounds like EVH's first Album. SHouldn't be a Surprise cuz a 59 PAF is what EVH gives Big Credit for his tone/sound. A surprise 2nd was #1 Video followed closely by #3. Crazy, cuz how Good does #1 sound AND with STOCK PUP's-Amazing. All sound Great but if its LZ your After the #1 is the # ONE. EVH Followers would kill or Die to Have your Tone and Ability cuz if you Played Eruption we'd all be on our Feet in Amazement!

Thanks for the kind words. When I was a kid I always wanted to learn Eruption; sort of had my own version of it, kind of close. But in the end I hated his guitars and he seemed like someone who played the same style 99% of the time. So I lost interest when I started getting into LPs about 10-12 years ago. EVH is probably most known for Eruption as far as cool factor & difficulty, but I think he has done some other stuff - especially live - that is much more difficult. The solo to Ice Cream Man is nuts, especially at the end. But again, fun to listen to sometimes, but not the style I am after. I wish a few other people would post some demos of their guitars. (hint hint) Doesn't have to be a solo. Could just be the rhythm to a song, maybe with a backing track. OR an original song, if someone is brave enough to put it out there.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention; I "think" the neck sizes (circumference) on those guitars are in this order, biggest to smallest:

1998 R9
2003 R9 (this one and the one above could be reversed; hard to tell without measuring)
2009 R9 (has less shoulders)
2003 R0 Stinger
2003 R0
2004 Page #1 (by far the smallest)

And I am judging by how they feel. It would be interesting to measure the thickness and circumference of each at the first, fifth, and 12th frets.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Father's Day here in Australia.............sorry John don't have time too listen to all the clips but I will tonight through a set of headphones rather than my crappy laptop speakers & then I'll post a rating for my ears. Cheers. :)

Very cool Rudi. Happy Father's Day!!

JPP373

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. When I was a kid I always wanted to learn Eruption; sort of had my own version of it, kind of close. But in the end I hated his guitars and he seemed like someone who played the same style 99% of the time. So I lost interest when I started getting into LPs about 10-12 years ago. EVH is probably most known for Eruption as far as cool factor & difficulty, but I think he has done some other stuff - especially live - that is much more difficult. The solo to Ice Cream Man is nuts, especially at the end. But again, fun to listen to sometimes, but not the style I am after. I wish a few other people would psot some demos of their guitars. (hint hint) Doesn't have to be a solo. Could just be the rhythm to a song, maybe with a backing track. OR an original song, if someone is brave enough to put it out there.

Well there yah go...So i wasn't too far off. You obviously were atracted to his Tone/Sound Early and the Irony is he was using a 59 PAF in his Frankenstien. All the while you didn't know. Moving toward a LP with PAF's was a natural progression. You Have Arrived! Awesome! Yes, someday in a Galaxy Far, Far away i will post a Sound Clip and Brace for the Pain:slash:

rykus

Reaction score
i think for playing i liked 1,4,and 5. but for tone i like 2, 4 and 5.6 was a close 4th in both too just not as full sounding to me. nice playing and nice collection! thanks for sharing too.

Latest Threads