Heartbreak and heartache

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotta like what I see. If there's a blemish or something wrong with the appearance of my guitar that was there when I bought it, I know this sounds weird, but I don't play it as well as if it were a virgin.

rich85

Reaction score
If you didnt point it out as not being factory it 100% looks like a factory paint job they have given a "red eye" or "spot" vibe to.

Wayyyyy more interesting than it was originally IMO

gravedanger

Reaction score
To be honest it looks like aging and something you'd see on a relic'd guitar. But I know the feeling of denting or dinging your new and most prized posession. Guitar, car, watch, etc. Whether or not it's logical it eats away at me. It's a bit obsessive and unhealthy, but I know how you feel.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
I think you are the only one who knows the answer.

I'll leave this here for you though. Seems to fit.

Tomburst

Reaction score
Yeah I think it's fine. We can become obsessive over minor things. Look at it this way,if that was a cc model copied like that from an original with the same mark you'd really dig it. Think of the cc goldfinger: it has a huge weird mark on the treble bout which all owners probably accept cos it's copied from the original. But if you had a regular goldtop and someone put the same mark on it you'd end up hating it and have to sell it to alleviate the mental torture and disappointment you'd feel every time you looked at it. It's all in the mind.

alnico59

Reaction score
I like the way it looks and if it played the way I liked I'd have no problem keeping it and playing the crap out of it. I sold an R9 that was too pretty to play.

Dilver

Reaction score
This morning, I was playing my 72 Les Paul Deluxe that I’ve owned for close to 40 years. Considering how much I played this guitar, it still looks good even though it has chips, dings, dents and scratches. If my 2017 R8 looks this good after 40 years, I’d be really happy.

My point is, over time, you’ll add other value-depreciating signs of wear. So unless you’re thinking you might sell this guitar soon, just leave it. Not worth having the top refinished.

Last edited:

DanD

Reaction score
Yeah I think it's fine. We can become obsessive over minor things. Look at it this way,if that was a cc model copied like that from an original with the same mark you'd really dig it. Think of the cc goldfinger: it has a huge weird mark on the treble bout which all owners probably accept cos it's copied from the original. But if you had a regular goldtop and someone put the same mark on it you'd end up hating it and have to sell it to alleviate the mental torture and disappointment you'd feel every time you looked at it. It's all in the mind.
That big 'ugly' kept me away from the GF CC... without that mark I may have bought one.
The OPs guitar is no where near as f'd up finish wise as the GF CC. I'd venture a guess that the wear on that CC put more than a few folks off.

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
I want to see what it looked like before the touch up was botched.

Blue Blood

Reaction score
Never got that opportunity.
That botched repair is really big, crazy it spread that far from the fretboard binding.
If it bothered me, Id have my luthier/restoration guy refin the top and scrape/respray the binding.

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
Why isn't the guy who messed up the finish paying for it to be repaired to your satisfaction? He should have Liability Insurance to cover things like this..... it's a cost of doing business. If he works for a shop somewhere, that shop should have insurance to cover it. It's not like they screwed up on a $500 Epiphone LP.

Those are just my thoughts. I hope you resolve this to your satisfaction with no further mental anguish.

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
Send it to Kim LeFleur of Historic Makeover for a refinish and a Brazilian board and charge it to the tech who cocked it up...just half joking.

That affects its market value as a used Historic. Somebody has to pay for its loss of value.

Unfortunately, that botched up attempt at a repair does not make it look like a nice bit of weathering. It is just plain ugly and would bother the hell out of me. Yes, I am shallow but ugly is ugly. I cannot unsee it now that I have seen it. There is Shibui. There is Wabi. There is Sabi. There is also honest play-wear. This is just plain ugly.

Last edited:

Latest Threads