Healthy Home-cooked Recipes

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
might try that with my own marinara __ to be honest , never combined tomato and fish flavors.

Go for it! It's one of those recipes that you can really make your own. As for the marinara, the spicier the better IMO.

Captain Howdy

Reaction score
Here's my take on Pasta Bolognese. The dish "Spag Bol", as we Aussies call it, is a constant on many menu boards in our pubs here in Melbourne. I like to cook enough to freeze for quick heat ups. As a quick meal, the heated mince is actually very nice on toast.
1.5kg Lean Beef Mince
1kg Pork Mince
2 Jars Italian Pasta Sauce (Tomato)
1 Tin Diced Tomatoes
1 Clove Garlic (or your desired level)
Oregano (fresh or dried)
1 Large Red Capsicum (Bell Pepper) Chopped
2 Large Brown Onions Chopped
Sugar
Tomato Paste
Red Wine
Olive Oil

In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and gently fry the onions and capsicum, adding some garlic and oregano. Once the onions are transparent, add the mince, and cook til brown. Then add the sauce, tinned tomatoes, more garlic and oregano (if so desired), tomato paste (a couple of tablespoons), sugar (a small cup full helps to neutralise the acidity in the tomatoes), and a splash or 2 or 3 of the red wine. Bring to the boil, and then let it simmer for about an hour, whilst at the same time giving it a stir. The liquid that floats to the top, whilst appearing red, is actually the fat from the mince. Just strain that using a spoon, but don't pour it down your sink as it will solidify and cause a blockage.
All you have to do now is decide what type of pasta you want, and whether you have grated or shredded Parmesan Cheese. :cheers:

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
Off the top of my head:

Some chicken breast(boneless and skin less) cut into bite size chunks.
Garlic
Salt/Pepper to taste
Veggies: Bell Pepper, zucchini, squash..
Diced tomatoes, tomato sauce..
Put in a slow cooker with some chicken broth or just water.

Cook on low for 4-5 hours and serve on white rice or some pasta.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Go for it! It's one of those recipes that you can really make your own. As for the marinara, the spicier the better IMO.

I just season "by eyeball". I take a "pinch o' this" and a "smidgeon o' that" until it looks right. Very precise and scientific :D

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just made the best halibut I've ever had last night. In a slow cooker even!
It's amazing what awesome recipes you can find on foodnetwork :)

kmk108

Reaction score
Here we go....I've never done this before. I found a recipe for Tofu Parmesan. It looked pretty good, so I'm going to give it a shot. I'll report if I don't completely ruin it :laugh2:

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
Here we go....I've never done this before. I found a recipe for Tofu Parmesan. It looked pretty good, so I'm going to give it a shot. I'll report if I don't completely ruin it :laugh2:

Good luck and enjoy.:)

kmk108

Reaction score
It started out sketchy, but it ended well. Since you all were so helpful (I bookmarked all your recipes for later use :cool:), I thought I'd share this one. I tried Tofu Cashew Chicken a few weeks ago, and I liked it. It was the first time I had tofu, so I thought I'd try it in a different style. I found a Tofu Parmigiana recipe.

Seasoned Bread Crumbs
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Shredded Mozzarella
Dried Oregano
12 ounces of tofu
Olive Oil
Salt (I used Sea Salt)
Black Pepper
8 Ounces of Tomato Sauce (I would get more if you're planning on making red sauce)
Dried Basil
1 minced Garlic Clove
Pasta (pick your favorite)
Red Sauce

1) Mix 1/2 cup of bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons of parmesan, 1 teaspoon of oregano, salt, and black pepper. This is the breading for the tofu.
2) Slice the tofu into 1/4 inch thick slices and put them in a bowl of cold water. Press the slices in the breading one at a time. Flip and press each one to cover both sides, and get the edges of the slice too.
3) Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Cook the tofu slices until they are crisp. Put a small bit of olive oil on the top, and flip and Brown the slices.
4) Put the tomato sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of basil, garlic clove, and 1 teaspoon of oregano in a bowl and mix.
5) Put a thin layer of tomato sauce on an 8-inch baking pan. Put the slices of Tofu in the pan, and put the remaining sauce on top of the slices. Top the slices with Mozzarella and Parmesan.
6) Bake the tofu at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.
6z01.jpg

While the tofu is baking, cook the pasta, and heat up the red sauce. I just used to Prego sauce I found in the fridge.

This is how it turned out. Not bad for me cooking tofu for the first time, and not having enough red sauce :thumb:
6jet.jpg

kmk108

Reaction score
Yeah

I didn't even know there are different types.

Thickchesthair

Reaction score
People are always looking for fancy recipes and I don't understand why. For supper I usually have some sort of meat, a vegetable (usually steamed), and a filler like rice or sweet potato.

Maybe I am just boring?

Thickchesthair

Reaction score
Just as a follow up to my previous post:

Tonight for supper I had prime skinless chicken breast pan fried in olive oil with a little bit of soy sauce and black pepper. I sliced it and mixed it with steamed broccoli and steamed carrots over white rice. Cost about $4 a plate in materials, took 15 mins to make, and is probably as healthy as you can get.

monkeyboy

Reaction score
I make these about twice a month and my wife and son love them. You can cut out the egg and you have a great vegan recipe (Tommy). I'm not a big fan of the yogurt sauce, but the wife loves it so I still make it.

Chick Pea Burgers with Tahini Style Yogurt Sauce

Ingredients
1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1 egg, whisked
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup low-fat Greek-style yogurt
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
8 cups mixed salad greens
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
Pita chips (optional)

Preparation
1. Pulse first 4 ingredients (through cumin) and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a food processor until coarsely chopped and mixture comes together. Transfer to a bowl, add egg and 2 tablespoons flour; form into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) patties. Place remaining flour in a small dish and roll patties in it with floured hands; tap off excess flour.

2. Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden.

3. Whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, and remaining salt and pepper. Divide greens, tomatoes, onion, and patties evenly among 4 plates; drizzle each salad with 2 tablespoons dressing. Serve with pita chips, if desired.

Paracelsian

Reaction score
Fra Diavolo, get asked to make it constantly. I like Emeril's recipe best, super easy and tasty (we don't use the canned tomatoes though, grow your own:):
Ingredients
1 pound linguine
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup small diced onion
3 tablespoons minced garlic
2 to 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cups canned tomato sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails removed
1 teaspoon salt, plus more for pasta water
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/2 cup grated Parmesan, optional
Directions
Bring a large 1-gallon pot of salted water to a boil, and place the pasta in the pot. Cook for 5 minutes and then drain; pasta will be only partially cooked. As the pasta cooks, set a 14-inch saute pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onions to the pan and cook until lightly caramelized and wilted, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the red pepper flakes and saute briefly before adding the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook the sauce until reduced by about half, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Add the partially cooked pasta to the pan along with 1 cup of the pasta cooking water and continue to cook the pasta in the sauce until al dente, about 3 to 4 minutes. Season the pasta with the salt and garnish with the parsley. Toss to combine and serve with grated Parmesan, if desired.

Read more at: Shrimp and Linguine Fra Diavolo Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Recipes : Food Network

Latest Threads