Healthy Home-cooked Recipes

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's a great site and I've been using it for years. If you have the app on your iPhone, you can even use it when you are in the grocery store to get some ideas of what to make depending on what is on special.

Just don't go shopping if you are hungry at the time... you'll spend a lot more :dude:

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
I have a recipe that my grandfather created when he was working as a chef and that has been passed down throughout the years in the family. It's not a meal, we always called it 'anti-pasto' as it is served before dinner, usually as part of a buffet at a party or during the holidays, but it is not what would traditionally be known as a true anti-pasto by a foodie. During my lifetime I have met only a very few people who did not fall in love with it and have often been asked for but have never given out the recipe to anyone. And it's basically vegetarian to boot!

I have no kids so maybe it's time to pass it on to my MLP family. I'll have to think about it. Anyone have a party or celebration coming up that they need a great dish for a buffet?

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a recipe that my grandfather created when he was working as a chef and that has been passed down throughout the years in the family. It's not a meal, we always called it 'anti-pasto' as it is served before dinner, usually as part of a buffet at a party or during the holidays, but it is not what would traditionally be known as a true anti-pasto by a foodie. During my lifetime I have met only a very few people who did not fall in love with it and have often been asked for but have never given out the recipe to anyone. And it's basically vegetarian to boot!

I have no kids so maybe it's time to pass it on to my MLP family. I'll have to think about it. Anyone have a party or celebration coming up that they need a great dish for a buffet?

Ahhhh, antipasto. Fifty pounds of different meats and cheeses and olives, stacked precariously on five pounds of salady stuff :D

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh, antipasto. Fifty pounds of different meats and cheeses and olives, stacked precariously on five pounds of salady stuff :D

Nope. No meats, no cheese. It does have tuna and shrimp in it, though! :D

PapaSquash

Reaction score
Barcham,

Need recipe. Unless you have samples.

New is good.

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
It's a very simple recipe actually but you cannot make it in a single or two portion size or something. This is primarily for parties or gatherings. It does keep very well in the fridge for well over a week. We usually make this for our family X-Mas dinner and then I live on it for the next week.

I'll be glad to post it if anyone is really interested in trying it. But if someone does make it, you have to give me your honest feedback!

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but can you get fish where you are?

If so, and you like fish, ill post a recipe later when i get home for a really good seafood stew that's really easy to make and totally delicious.

kmk108

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but can you get fish where you are?

If so, and you like fish, ill post a recipe later when i get home for a really good seafood stew that's really easy to make and totally delicious.

I can. It's not as good since I'm in KS, but I can still get the majority of fishes.

kmk108

Reaction score
It's a very simple recipe actually but you cannot make it in a single or two portion size or something. This is primarily for parties or gatherings. It does keep very well in the fridge for well over a week. We usually make this for our family X-Mas dinner and then I live on it for the next week.

I'll be glad to post it if anyone is really interested in trying it. But if someone does make it, you have to give me your honest feedback!

I don't have any parties coming up, but I'm intrigued :thumb:

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
I can. It's not as good since I'm in KS, but I can still get the majority of fishes.

Ok let's go with Tilapia, since it's a pretty common white fish. Try this. Only need 5 ingredients. I started making this on Sundays before the football games. It's delicious.

2 jars of spicy marinara sauce
3/4 cup white wine (just use the cheapest you can find)
1 tbl spoon olive oil
3 tilapia filets cut into 1" chunks
1/2 parsley

Combine everything except the fish into a pot and bring to a rolling boil. Then add the fish and take it off the burner. Gently stir to get the fish mixed in. Let it sit for about 4-5 minutes until the fish is no longer opaque and easily flakes apart. That's how you know it's done. Then, enjoy.

That's the basic recipe. If you like it, you can add more stuff to it. After a few times making this I started adding black olives and a few spoon fulls of sun dried tomatoes....made it even better.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Post it! :applause:

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
That's the basic recipe. If you like it, you can add more stuff to it. After a few times making this I started adding black olives and a few spoon fulls of sun dried tomatoes....made it even better.

might try that with my own marinara __ to be honest , never combined tomato and fish flavors.

(although I have discovered, that a blueberry/moscato reduction over Alaskan salmon is incredible )

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
If you remove the sorpresata, this is a very healthy meal -- even with the salame, it's pretty good, given the proportions. Without it, it's good stuff.

One thing I've found is that Mediterranean cuisine tends to be better for you.

Leendrix

The Cheeky One
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Orzo
Quinoa
Veggies
Fruits
Chicken breasts
Pure beef
High protein foods (I prefer peanut butter)
Veggies
Eggs
Fish
Small servings of rice or other starches (for when you lift, bro)
Oh, and veggies.

Eat a ton of veggies. But you need protein, starches, and lots and lots of water to fuel up properly, whether you're lifting or not.

Good luck! :thumb:

PunkerJon

Reaction score
Roasted carrots and beets is good and easy to make. I get a bunch or two of beets cut the greens off and scrub them with a brillo pad or stiff brush then cut them into same sized pieces. do the same with the same amount of carrots (except toss the greens from those). Toss them in a bowl with some oil, salt, pepper and some herbs de provence. make sure that everything is coated with the oil and spices. then put them in a roasting pan in the oven @ 350 for 20-40 minutes (until you can easily pierce them with a fork or knife). Hella easy! I make them all the time. sometimes I'll toss some fingerling or red taters in there, whole garlic cloves, parsnips, turnips, rutabaga, any sort of root veggie really.

I aways go easy on the salt and pepper because you can always add them to taste after, and I always preheat the oven with the roasting pan in it. Saves a little cooking time. Oh and don't toss the Beet greens. You can eat those too. Just rinse them really well then cut the big stalks off and saute in oil and maybe a little butter and add some S&P and maybe some garlic flakes or free red pepper flakes. Leafy greens are great

Latest Threads