headstock weirdness - repair job?

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I swear, there are better pics of the apollo moon landing.

No no Joey, the backgrounds are well focused with great lighting. Too bad the part in question is as blurry as a 5 day drinking binge. How did he even manage to shoot so many pics that are ALL out of focus? hahaha!!

OP...just bustin' your balls.

ryandfl

Reaction score
It's the camera's fault I swear!

I'm waiting on Ebay decision on this. They put the case on hold until yesterday so I could gather up some info for them, most importantly an expert opinion. I gave them Gibson's response and my crappy pictures. I trust that they will do the right thing.

The position I took was "the guitar is fine, but it's not what I ordered! It is not a Custom Shop guitar and it is not in 'light wear only' condition. so the description was inacurate and because of that I paid way too much."

I got the G0 today! It is really nice. Just what I wanted - you can feel the quality, but it is still understated, being a plaintop and darker.

BUT, I'm kind of disappointed in the neck. The fretwork is awesome and it is very straight, but it feels too thin for me. I am thinking about trying to trade it for an R8 before I get attached.

I'm trying to decide if I am being too picky and would be chasing my tail with that. It's not like I can't play it and it is a no doubt about it great guitar. But the first couple times I picked it up my immediate reaction was "hm, I wish it was a little more substantial."

I should really go to one of the two local Guitar Centers to try an R8 before thinking about it too much, but I don't like dealing with the dudes there. One of the two is filled with jerks and the other one has a guy who gives me subtle guilt trip for taking them up on their 30 day return policy for a Les Paul and SG.

Adambomb

Reaction score
It's the camera's fault I swear!

I'm waiting on Ebay decision on this. They put the case on hold until yesterday so I could gather up some info for them, most importantly an expert opinion. I gave them Gibson's response and my crappy pictures. I trust that they will do the right thing.

The position I took was "the guitar is fine, but it's not what I ordered! It is not a Custom Shop guitar and it is not in 'light wear only' condition. so the description was inacurate and because of that I paid way too much."

I got the G0 today! It is really nice. Just what I wanted - you can feel the quality, but it is still understated, being a plaintop and darker.

BUT, I'm kind of disappointed in the neck. The fretwork is awesome and it is very straight, but it feels too thin for me. I am thinking about trying to trade it for an R8 before I get attached.

I'm trying to decide if I am being too picky and would be chasing my tail with that. It's not like I can't play it and it is a no doubt about it great guitar. But the first couple times I picked it up my immediate reaction was "hm, I wish it was a little more substantial."

I should really go to one of the two local Guitar Centers to try an R8 before thinking about it too much, but I don't like dealing with the dudes there. One of the two is filled with jerks and the other one has a guy who gives me subtle guilt trip for taking them up on their 30 day return policy for a Les Paul and SG.

Sounds like you need to spend more time playing and actually seeing guitars in person before you order. Even if it's a 3 hour drive. Just think about how much money it will cost if your mail order a guitar and dont like, and then send back. Spend the gas money and go on a road trip to find "THE" guitar for you and then all your worries and concerns will be no more. And who give a rats a$$ what the dudes at GC or any other music shops think or say to you. Just go in there and focus on picking out an excellent instrument, and pay no attention to them, but don't be a dick or nothing. Go get your hands on a guitar before you pay bro.

crompo

Reaction score
Can anyone find a custom shop logo on the back of a headstock that is as big as the OPs? All of them that I have seen are this size below or a little bit larger. I have never seen one that extends past the back of the tuners.

30U-15599_headstock-back.jpg

Here's one that measures 40mm - would be about as big as the one on th OP's guitar.

Definately a repair too.

Guitar Headstock Logo Decals (Powered by CubeCart)

ryandfl

Reaction score
Ebay got back to me and said "ship the guitar back, give us the tracking number and we'll give you your money back within 3 days of its delivery."

So this is all but done with now, thankfully. I am really glad I had Ebay on my side for this. I usually think of them as a unnecessary evil, but warm feelings here.

I'm going to have to cover the return shipping myself though, which is a bummer. Price I pay for not being more careful, I guess. A good education about Les Pauls and guitar buying came from all of this.

bdubbs

Reaction score
You need to learn how to use Macro mode on your camera! hahah.

Glad things worked out. That does look like a repair that you have to get with multiple neck breaks.

sixstring531

Reaction score
Does this mean we are going to see this guitar up for sale again? Dude says it plays well - will it have a "this has been repaired by Gibson" disclaimer and be cheaper?

ryandfl

Reaction score
I bet the seller will put it back on Ebay. He's a dealer and Ebay is forcing him to take the return, so hopefully he feels compelled to do the right thing and be clear about its issues, even if it just for the sake of staying on Ebay's good side.

ctkarslake

Reaction score
Man, it took about 50 posts until someone brought up the fact that a Custom Shop guitar always have an INKED serial number. Gibson USA is always IMPRESSED into the wood (unless it's a "Classic" model, the only one Gibson USA puts an inked serial number on). Both of those things should never be on the same guitar (a custom shop decal and impressed serial number)! The Custom Shop never impresses a serial number!

I know I'm late to the party but this one sticks out like a sore thumb. What people will sell these days...!

Latest Threads