headstock weirdness - repair job?

Marlboro13

Reaction score
The serial looks legit.

Your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
October 26th, 1998
Production Number: 53

Repaired or not...if you loved it...you should keep it and play the hell out of it. That's what I think.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I swear, there are better pics of the apollo moon landing.

onlypadog

Reaction score
Send it back if you don't like it. There's plenty of all mahogany LPs out there IIRC. Didn't they just bring out something like a 'Les Paul traditional mahogany?'

ryandfl

Reaction score
Send it back if you don't like it. There's plenty of all mahogany LPs out there IIRC. Didn't they just bring out something like a 'Les Paul traditional mahogany?'

Yeah, I played one of the Traditional Mahogany's recently. It didn't feel like it was of the same caliber as regular Traidtionals or this thing, unfortunately.

MeKevin

Reaction score
Can anyone find a custom shop logo on the back of a headstock that is as big as the OPs? All of them that I have seen are this size below or a little bit larger. I have never seen one that extends past the back of the tuners.

30U-15599_headstock-back.jpg

DagerOne

Reaction score
I do like it a lot, though wouldn't say that I love it.

If I make this thing go back for the sake of not overpaying on a guitar, I might have a hard time finding something I like better.

I'm not sure what to do.

You don't love it, and with your concerns (which seem to be completely justified), you never will. Regardless of how long it takes you to find a suitable replacement, unless you're so well-off that the $1800 you've dropped on this one is of no concern to you and isn't necessary for you to purchase the guitar you ultimately want, send it back yesterday. Don't hold on to this one because you're afraid a better one isn't out there, as there most certainly IS such a guitar.

Trapezoid

Reaction score
Return the guitar for a full refund. The headstock was clearly reattached and not disclosed, and the Custom Shop decal by all rights appears to be fradulent as well. It may be a good player, but at $1800, I'd say you got hosed. I wouldn't pay more than a few hundred bucks for it.

TheNoodler

Reaction score
Really bizarre picture. It obviously looks like two pieces of wood slotted together, but it doesn't look like a repair job to me. If it was a repair there would be some kind if jagged un-even break somewhere.
The only things I can think of are, it's some kind of factory second, or a prototype of some sort. It wouldn't surprise me if they experimented with some kind of two piece slotted neck design, possibly to make it somehow stronger than a standard 1 piece neck?
Regardless it looks really well done, and if I had to guess I would say it's not a cheap Chinese fake because those guitars all have the typical "asian cut" which is more of a slanted line right through the middle of the neck.

The final possibility is a more elaborate hoax, where someone took an epiphone LP and a broken neck from a Gibson and had a professional cut and merge them together to create a fake Gibson. I would think that would be a pretty expensive mod to have a professional to do. Especially given they would have to get the fit and finish all right and then refinish the whole thing, so it hardly seems worth someones time to do that rather than just buy a real Gibson.

Take it to a professional shop and have someone check it out to see what they think.

blakem

Reaction score
dont Custom shop serial #'s start with CS, Mine does, its a 2003.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My 08's do too. I'm liking this guitar less and less. Return.

ryandfl

Reaction score
My 08's do too. I'm liking this guitar less and less. Return.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at. Whatever the deal is with it, it's got bad vibes with me at this point.

I sent Gibson a message and handful of those pictures. Their response was "That looks like a repair job. Also the serial number corresponds to Gibson USA, not the Custom Shop."

I demanded a return/refund and the seller refused, so it is now an 'escalated' customer service case with Ebay. Their automated message I got Sunday night said I should hear from them within 72 hours, but I'm still waiting. I'm really hoping they chime in soon and I can be done with this.

If Ebay doesn't come through with some justice, I'm probably going to sell it at a loss. Even though it is plays and sounds like a fine guitar to me, though not killer, I don't feel good about it. I'm not exactly sure how I'll disclose it, as it not clear what happened, but the details that I do have would get laid out along with clear pictures. I guess I would put it on Ebay and let the market decide the value. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

But! I just got a badass job offer, recruited to a different company. So I'm living large and already bought a replacement, which I LOVE the looks of -

$T2eC16J,!w0E9szN(W19BQK1O6K7F!~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!rUF!d!TRpCDBQK1QdBe,!~~60_12.JPG

2008 G0. I'm really pumped about it. It should be here in a week, is near mint and includes all the case candy.

Ebay again. You would think after all of that I would be scared off from Ebay, but despite their slow/lingering/pending customer service, it made me appreciated the safety net of a middle man "buyer protection" guarantee. I've moved to getting most other things through forums, but with this much dough..ah..

Adambomb

Reaction score
Hey man... no no no... don't even think of selling at a lose. Ebay will have to come through. Save the email from Gibson saying the serial number is NOT a Custom Shop and Gibson stating that it's a repair job. They GOTTA take it back. Ebay is for the buyer. This seller is the biggest a$$. What a SUPER DUPER rip off. Dont worry at all. They will make him refund with all the evidence you have. If they don't refund we'll gather a lynch mod and do some kind of protesting. You'll get your money back, don't worry.

What's really shysty is that the seller is telling you no refund even after he knows it's a cheaper USA model AND it's had broken headstock. This blows my mind. You must be pretty well off, cause to even have a though of Ebay "not" bending this scam artist over is crazy. This is the worst cause of getting ripped on a guitar I've heard in awhile. Hang in there bro.

Naukuga

Reaction score
I've delt a lot with ebay and buyers filing claims, you WILL get your money back. it might take a month, but im 100% sure that ebay will side with you

Adambomb

Reaction score
I've delt a lot with ebay and buyers filing claims, you WILL get your money back. it might take a month, but im 100% sure that ebay will side with you

Me too. I've even had buyers straight up lie, but Ebay always gives buyers money back even if they don't agree with the buyer.

ryandfl

Reaction score
Awesome, that's really good to hear. Thanks for the encouragement guys.

suedehead

Reaction score
Your new G0 looks fantastic BTW. HNGD for when it arrives.

Latest Threads