headstock weirdness - repair job?

ryandfl

Reaction score
Looks like a Gibson Les Paul with a professionally repaired headstock. I'd say the Custom
Shop sticker was added after the repair.

As in "it's probably not from the Custom Shop" added or "replaced the original"?

Sinster

Reaction score
As in "it's probably not from the Custom Shop" added or "replaced the original"?

e-mail Gibson and see if they give you any information. I'm not sure if they will tell you what color it was when it left the factory or not. It's worth a shot.

ryandfl

Reaction score
I was able to get some slightly better images -

photo_52.jpg

ryandfl

Reaction score
Looks like they strengthened the neck at the factory. How's the regular neck grain look? Might have looked suspect and they fixed it rather then tossing it.

Hold the camera further back and zoom in if you have to. Also go into a room with a lot of light. The graininess is caused by the camera compensating for the low light.

Does that happen? Extra bracing?

The grain looks fine to be, but I don't know what's what in that department.

EvLectric

Reaction score
Hey. ryandfl, are you around Virginia or upper NC? I played one up there at some music store that they had brand new, but broke in shipment & they just repaired it, & were selling it for $950, IIRC. Great playing guitar, if one of the salesman hadn't been the proverbial pr!ck, I'd have walked out with a nice MIJ that day, & I would have bought this one by phone in a few days. Just thought I'd ask.

ryandfl

Reaction score
No, I'm in FL. I got this from a guy in Texas.

I just contacted that guy at let me know where my head is at, but I am trying to figure out how much to freak out.

I paid $1800. I figured it's a Custom Shop, so it's going to have top quality. Plus I wanted all mahogany and this fits the bill. The price seemed fair enough at the time.

EvLectric

Reaction score
"1998 Les Paul, all mahogany, from the custom shop" is what I was told. There was a decent amount of tarnish on the gold bits, so the age is definitely believable.

I think it was winter98/spring of '99 I was up there. Sorry I don't remember the name of the store. I remember they had a 7 string Concklin(sp?) bass there. My bass player had his card out when the other salesman went off on me for playing the MIJ "without asking" (the other salesman handed it to me) and my bassist said "nope, we'll leave now!" I wish I could remember what brand that MIJ was! Something that should have sucked, but was a good one. 2 piece solid plain top, MIJ pancake back, yum! I think I liked it more than the Gibby, & I LOVED it! If it wasn't for... Oh well!

edit Saw your updated post. Kinda strange though if two of these guitars got sold as new but repaired. I should add they said new, but no warranty. The first salesman was cool as could be.

EvLectric

Reaction score
I'm gonna go start a MIJ that got away thread, I think! :)
edit, Okay, maybe tomorrow.

Guitar 101

Reaction score
Just curious....could this be one of those B-Stock guitar? Or pehaps the repair was done by Gibson Customer Shop, hence the stamp. Well if it plays well and sound OK, then it is all good.....although I hope the price reflects this design / fix.

BillB1960

Reaction score
Does that happen? Extra bracing?

The grain looks fine to be, but I don't know what's what in that department.

No, it doesn't. The guitar has clearly been repaired. The only way to verify whether or not it was made in the Custom Shop is to contact Gibson. Personally I think $1800 is too much for a non reissue with a busted headstock but that's your call.

ryandfl

Reaction score
Man, bummer. Well I did send Gibson a message about this, so we'll see what they say.

What do you guys think the resale value on this is, to informed people like yourselves?

I'm just trying to gauge if I like a 'not so great deal' or 'ripped off'.

BillB1960

Reaction score
Man, bummer. Well I did send Gibson a message about this, so we'll see what they say.

What do you guys think the resale value on this is, to informed people like yourselves?

I'm just trying to gauge if I like a 'not so great deal' or 'ripped off'.

At $1800 for an undisclosed headstock break I'd have to say you got ripped off. I've heard all the bullshit about 'it's stronger than new...yadda, yadda' but facts are facts: headstock breaks kill value. I'd be filing a claim with EBay & Paypal post haste.

MeKevin

Reaction score
The logo on the back of the headstock looks oversized to me.

sixstring531

Reaction score
Does look strange to me (as in, not a standard neck from the factory), but the logo looks perfectly legit, as it is the same one on the back of my 99 30th Anniversary Deluxe, which was also wine red. :)

ryandfl

Reaction score
I brought it up to the guy I bought it from and he is not being very professional / compassionate about it. In fact, I think he was intentionally misleading about it and is sticking to his story. It did go through ebay, so I can press him with "I will bring this up to eBay if you don't give me a full refund and a return shipping label" and then actually take it to ebay if he doesn't give.

I'm not sure if I want to do that though. I do like it a lot, though wouldn't say that I love it. It all mahogany and sounds a lot closer to what I want than the 2012 Traditional Pro that I had briefly, which was really bright in comparison. That is what has me nervous.

If I make this thing go back for the sake of not overpaying on a guitar, I might have a hard time finding something I like better. On the other hand, if I decide in a while that this thing isn't doing it for me, which is definitely possible considering I'm not completely blown away with it while it is still new to me, I am going loose money on the resale. Part of the picture here is I'm not in a position in life (yet) to be collecting a stack of guitars.

I'm not sure what to do.

Adambomb

Reaction score
Wow. I don't see how someone can sell a guitar like this on Ebay, and not list that the instrument has had a VERY crucial headstock repair. The owner had to have know it was there. Now if he's being a dick about it... I wouldn't think twice... return the sucker. Tell him your not going to be his sucker. The pictures alone are enough that Ebay can tell he didn't display this in his auction. And to advertise that it's a Custom Shop you said?? It's like getting double ripped off. What a ebay seller dick.

Naukuga

Reaction score
Ebay will force him to take it back if he didnt disclose the break. No worries there.

It honestly looks like more of a headstock transplant to me. So perhaps if you call gibson they'll tell you its a custom shop because the guitar that the headstock used to be attached to was...

ryandfl

Reaction score
Yeah, too much shadiness around this thing, even if it is a fine guitar. I told the guy he needs to set up the return by Monday or I will take it up with ebay.

Latest Threads