headstock weirdness - repair job?

ryandfl

Reaction score
I got this Les Paul off of eBay about 3 weeks ago, my first LP. I noticed for the first time tonight that the head stock has some funky dovetail thing going on. This photo is terrible, but the best my phone can do. Can you see the changes in wood grain extending down the sides and then a center band of the main neck extending into the headstock?

photo_37.jpg

What the crap? Is this likely a repair for a headstock break off? Or is this normal and I'm just a Les Paul noob?

jon dano

Reaction score
Looks fine to me, damn talk about being paranoid lol.
If that was a repair its a pretty damn good one.

jeffy

Reaction score
Looks like they strengthened the neck at the factory. How's the regular neck grain look? Might have looked suspect and they fixed it rather then tossing it.

Hold the camera further back and zoom in if you have to. Also go into a room with a lot of light. The graininess is caused by the camera compensating for the low light.

AxeBuilder

Reaction score
We need better pics.

The sides of the headstock should look like they have different pieces of wood stuck on - that's normal.

BillB1960

Reaction score

ARandall

Reaction score
What model is this??

The Gibsons from the late 60's to early 80's had 3 piece necks for extra strength. If your guitar is a reissue of this period then it will feature this effect too.

Need more in focus pictures.

pietro

Reaction score
What model is this??

The Gibsons from the late 60's to early 80's had 3 piece necks for extra strength. If your guitar is a reissue of this period then it will feature this effect too.

my point, exactly, but BillB1960 doesn't agree, apparantly...

BillB1960

Reaction score
What model is this??

my point, exactly, but BillB1960 doesn't agree, apparantly...

Might want to check out how many guitars were made in the Custom Shop in the "late 60s to early 80s".

Hint: The Custom Shop didn't open until 1993.

MineGoes211

Reaction score
PLease post more pics of the whole guitar. If the headstock is glued on like you described... it may be a fake.

ryandfl

Reaction score
Here are some more images. My old iphone's camera just does not work right, but I tried to get some better angles/results. If there don't cut it, I'll borrow someone else's camera.

What do you guys think?

Click the smaller images to expand them.

photo_46.jpg

Jim

Banned
Reaction score
Looks like a big spline. Either a terrible fake or a good repair job.

ryandfl

Reaction score
What model is this??

"1998 Les Paul, all mahogany, from the custom shop" is what I was told. There was a decent amount of tarnish on the gold bits, so the age is definitely believable.

BillB1960

Reaction score
Looks like a Gibson Les Paul with a professionally repaired headstock. I'd say the Custom
Shop sticker was added after the repair.

Latest Threads