Headstock repaired pricing

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
aside from all the chatter about the headstock - why do people keep saying the blueberry burst isn’t easy to move or it’s super niche? Is it something that most people visually don’t like? Thanks in advance for anyones feedback!
For me, certain colors work with certain guitars, and not others.
It's probably because of the "traditional" colors I was exposed to in the 60s and 70s....
I love the equivalent of Pelham Blue that Fender uses on Strats and Teles. I can't stand it on Les Pauls or SGs.
Likewise, I really, really dislike transparent greens on Gibsons, yet really like them on PRS and Tele-style bodies with heavy flame.

Blueberry is another one of those colors. Don't like it on a Lester, it's OK on an SG, and looks great on a Strat.

For Lesters I just prefer traditional bursts, trans/wine red, black, white, and goldtop. Not a fan of goldback models.

Matthewriot

Reaction score
For me, certain colors work with certain guitars, and not others.
It's probably because of the "traditional" colors I was exposed to in the 60s and 70s....
I love the equivalent of Pelham Blue that Fender uses on Strats and Teles. I can't stand it on Les Pauls or SGs.
Likewise, I really, really dislike transparent greens on Gibsons, yet really like them on PRS and Tele-style bodies with heavy flame.

Blueberry is another one of those colors. Don't like it on a Lester, it's OK on an SG, and looks great on a Strat.

For Lesters I just prefer traditional bursts, trans/wine red, black, white, and goldtop. Not a fan of goldback models.
Okay, I can def respect that - a traditionalist when it comes to the gibbys. I like purples and blues on literally everything, but I’ve always been less a traditional type player, mostly playing punk rock. It’s hard to argue that a p90 gold top isn’t one of the most beautiful of them all. I remember hearing from an artist a while back that in the 70s there was some that came stock with mini humbuckers that are cheaper because of it and p90s slide right in… I wanna say it was Mike ness maybe?

As I type in realizing I’d prob trade the blue burst traditional for a p90 goldTop

DBDM

Reaction score
Some people reject any detail of a LP if it was not stock in 1959. I am not saying that is wrong, just that is the reason for "Blueberry Burst Hate". I say if you want a Blue Les Paul, buy a Blue Les Paul. If you want a wider fretboard on your Les Paul (because you have giant hands--me)--Great news, get a 2015--they are all on sale because they did not make those in 1959! If you want a bigger body because you are 6'6" (me) get a Buckethead. I say get what YOU want and play it! Does not harm me if you prefer a Blue LP. The truth is that all it takes is for one great, famous guitarist to play a Blueberry Burst on a hit record for them to become the most fashionable guitars ever (exaggeration).

darkvoice

Reaction score
I am not sure where this notion of blueberry burst not being popular comes, but I was recently offered excellent deal on one and could not refuse. Now I am a proud owner of one and it looks gorgeous!

Red Beard

Reaction score
I couldn’t buy a headstock break guitar
Just my OCD i guess
But it never bothered Gary Moore or Paul Kossoff and many others
Blueberry burst,,,,,,,aaaa,,,,,not my cup of tea either but its got its place
Guitar center,,,,,ummm,,,,well,,,i dont need much of a reason to not buy any guitars there so the whole endeavor would be a hard pass for me

Matthewriot

Reaction score
Yeah guitar center did screw me in my first Gibson purchase and it took MONTHS of dealing with then trying to chase down my case to end up with the wrong case in the end for it. I don’t know why they don’t have their most capable person entering data in.
I’ve only ever picked up a headstock repair on accident when it’s not listed (eBay etc) - it’s always a huge bummer and part of me is always waiting to see it re-split. I usually only string the one up I have to play it and take the strings off after (huge pain in the ass).

I didn’t understand the love for blueberry bursts truly till I saw them in person (and the blueberry fade) - Everytime I open my cases to show a buddy the diff blueberries they flip out (though none are a 50s Les Paul traditionalist)

Stratosphere just tossed up a bunch of husks on their shop if anyones looking for a more traditional LP color they have the iced teas and bourbon bursts.

darkvoice

Reaction score
I couldn’t buy a headstock break guitar
Just my OCD i guess
But it never bothered Gary Moore or Paul Kossoff and many others
Blueberry burst,,,,,,,aaaa,,,,,not my cup of tea either but its got its place
Guitar center,,,,,ummm,,,,well,,,i dont need much of a reason to not buy any guitars there so the whole endeavor would be a hard pass for me
I feel the same, however recently I was offered good deal on a guitar with repaired headstock. It looked good in the photos, repair was barely noticeable, it looked like a scarf joint on Epiphone guitars. So, I decided to go for it. The story did not end well though, as the guitar broke again in the same spot during shipping. As someone said on this forum - that was it's fate...
I decided I will stay away from repaired guitars from now on.

mjross

Reaction score
I feel the same, however recently I was offered good deal on a guitar with repaired headstock. It looked good in the photos, repair was barely noticeable, it looked like a scarf joint on Epiphone guitars. So, I decided to go for it. The story did not end well though, as the guitar broke again in the same spot during shipping. As someone said on this forum - that was it's fate...
I decided I will stay away from repaired guitars from now on.
Not done right if it broke in the same spot from what Seuf’s told me about my repair. Stated that it would break elsewhere before it would break at the repair again. But who knows, it could happen!

Matthewriot

Reaction score
That’s an incredible bummer of a story :/. But I would think also that if it’s was repaired correctly, because if all of the adhesive and whatnot that a properly repaired break would be the stronger point of the neck.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s an incredible bummer of a story :/. But I would think also that if it’s was repaired correctly, because if all of the adhesive and whatnot that a properly repaired break would be the stronger point of the neck.
Key word is "properly" repaired.
Glue sticks wood to wood.
Glue does not stick wood to glue, and it does not stick wood to air.
The fitment needs to be correct for a glue bond to be strong. An extremely small gap can weaken the glue joint by a significant percentage.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
Don't let the China sticker scare you! The sticker is removable and you will never see it again :) But most importantly Epiphone really upped their game in 2020-2021. I own couple 2020 models and they are phenomenal! My 2020 Epiphone LP Custom in black is exceptional in every aspect - build, finish, intonation, sustain, playability - all this for under $500 total - shipping and taxes included (I bought it pre-owned).

Of course it's not identical to Gibson LP Custom, but for 1/10 of the price it covers over 90% of the features.

You should check them out when you have a chance.
yes indeed...looking for either a 59 or 50s soon.

tache3

Reaction score
Damn. Thought this thread had popped up again because there was an update on the $1300.

Latest Threads