Headstock repaired pricing

jrkhav

Reaction score
I think $1300 is a completely fair price given the headstock break, but I doubt they'll drop that low unfortunately. But you never know, if it just sits they might be more willing to come down a bit on it.

On the other hand, may also be worth waiting and getting one without a break on Reverb or something. Personally I'd go that route, I'd steer clear of a broken headstock repair if I didn't know who did it/where it was done.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
I would not do it, why would you want a guitar with broken/repaired headstock?

Besides, I paid less than $1300 for my LP Trad Pro V at GC. Mine's in satin finish and it's MSRP is less than glossy's blueberry burst MSRP. Plus it was an open box and other discounts were stacked on top of it, but still - I bought mine almost perfect LP for less than you want to offer for a broken head guitar.

My advise would be to wait for a guitar in better condition.

Agreed, a broken headstock used, guitar center, traditional pro V was my first Gibson Les Paul. It is pretty awesome. You could hardly tell the headstock was repaired. Nearly invisible, you can just tell a rear where a new plug had been put in. Finish was impeccable. Supposedly it will be even stronger than stock. I don’t know. In any event, it triggered a reaction and now I have many babies

this assumes, that the head Stock was repaired properly. In my opinion, that involves routing out, and installing/putting in plugs, and sanding and refinishing it to shape and respraying to look as near perfect as stock. A lot of shops will just glue the son of a bitch together and call it good. My OCD wouldn’t tolerate that!

Last edited:

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright DARKVOICE, don't take this personally in any way.

I'm just using your post as an example.

:wave:

... why would you want a guitar with broken/repaired headstock?
Um... the price!
:cool:

Besides, I paid less than $1300 for my LP Trad Pro V at GC. Mine's in satin finish and it's MSRP....
See, here's where personal opinions diverge and great discussions (or forum brawls) begin.
I won't own a Gibson in satin finish.
At all.
I've had a few, because they were cheap, and it just made me crazy.
Enough that I didn't want them even at a steeply discounted price.
I sold each one, and encountered the same resistance from every potential buyer - "But the finish..."

To me, a Gibson in satin finish is like a Corvette in primer.
Where's the damned paint?
How did this thing get outta the factory before the paint shop?

And this will certainly provoke return fire in any forum, but here goes!
Fake Mojo, or Mojo In A Can, or purposeful damage to a guitar's finish?
Don't even get me started on Murphy aged or VOS guitars.
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!
I will install my own playing wear, thank you.

... almost perfect LP for less than you want to offer for a broken head guitar.
A GOOD guitar that suffers a headstock break doesn't have to become firewood.
A couple that I had fixed were clean breaks and easy repairs.
Is the guitar worth what it was before?
No.

Same as a wrecked Corvette would not be, no matter how well repaired.

But there are plenty of people out there perfectly willing to accept a well-done repair and invest their confidence in a GOOD guitar.
:wave:
Or Corvette.

And just to nip another angle to this in the bud, I did not disguise the breaks on my guitars.
They were visible and fully disclosed.

What about breaks that are repaired and cosmetically concealed?
That's up to the guy paying for the repair.
I had offers from repair guys to conceal the repair on my stuff.
"Hey man, I could make this thing look like nothing ever happened!"

No thanks.
To me, that's dishonest to some extent.
And I don't mind telling the guitar's story.

My advise would be to wait for a guitar in better condition.
That's always the prudent path.
I agree - if it's an issue and you don't feel good about the guitar when you buy it?
That feeling will probably never go away.

darkvoice

Reaction score
Something to help you to make your decision.

Here's an Epiphone Les Paul Custom I recently bought. It arrived with a broken neck and upon inspection I noticed that the neck was repaired before (you can see glue residue around the break and traces of polishing, as some finish was removed and wood is visible). Apparently it snapped again during shipping in the same spot. BTW, this was repaired by Guitar Center, same dealer as the guitar OP is considering. Can you trust their repairman to do quality job? I would not after my experience.

You can say whatever you want, but I am not touching another guitar with repaired head/neck unless it's a super rare one. With common guitars it's just not worth the risk.

P1400363.jpg
P1400364.jpg

P1400366.jpg

P1400367.jpg

InTheEvening

Reaction score

Here's an Epiphone Les Paul Custom I recently bought. It arrived with a broken neck and upon inspection I noticed that the neck was repaired before (you can see glue residue around the break and traces of polishing, as some finish was removed and wood is visible). Apparently it snapped again during shipping in the same spot. BTW, this was repaired by Guitar Center, same dealer as the guitar OP is considering. Can you trust their repairman to do quality job? I would not after my experience.

You can say whatever you want, but I am not touching another guitar with repaired head/neck unless it's a super rare one. With common guitars it's just not worth the risk.

View attachment 537181 View attachment 537182
View attachment 537183
View attachment 537184
The “QC Inspection card” sticker makes this worse somehow.

Leee

Reaction score
I agree 100%.

ESPECIALLY the Guitar Center part.

judson

Reaction score
until you get your first repaired headstock guitar at a price you are comfortable with, you probably have walked away from many deals because of it....its more mental and cosmetic if repaired correctly which isnt rocket science most times, my opinion

the last 2 guitar husks i bought had headstock repairs

the third was a complete case queen with a snapped neck and i repaired it myself.

a 1962 and 1965 Gibson Melody Maker and a spotless 1989 Gibson 335 Dot, so total cost was $3,200 maybe $300 in parts i had layin around...so $3500 total.

best money i ever spent...the 62 and the 89 are keepers...the 65 i might let go one of these days.

i never gave it a second look if i saw "repaired headstock" in any ad

but now i want to see it with a huge discount then maybe i chase it

after the first one you get over it....just dont over pay...GC isnt gonna give that away...keep looking

bought them all to play....a few scars dont hurt...and think about it you dont see it when playing !! :hmm:

darkvoice

Reaction score
The MADE IN CHINA sticker is the deal-breaker for me.

Don't let the China sticker scare you! The sticker is removable and you will never see it again :) But most importantly Epiphone really upped their game in 2020-2021. I own couple 2020 models and they are phenomenal! My 2020 Epiphone LP Custom in black is exceptional in every aspect - build, finish, intonation, sustain, playability - all this for under $500 total - shipping and taxes included (I bought it pre-owned).

Of course it's not identical to Gibson LP Custom, but for 1/10 of the price it covers over 90% of the features.

You should check them out when you have a chance.

Leee

Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen Chinese quality improve dramatically across several manufacturers so I understand what you're saying.
Especially where the prices are on Gibson's upper-end guitars.

Still, for political and economic reasons best avoided here in the forum, I will steer clear of them.
Just call me a snob.

Some Korean stuff is definitely worthy of consideration, in my opinion.
Japanese, without a doubt.
I've owned several from both countries.

China? Not a chance.
And it's far beyond product quality for me.

Before you think I'm just a knee-jerk reactionary, I will remind you all that if it weren't for the Japanese there might not be a Fender Musical Instruments Company today. When CBS sold the company, the Fender guys putting the deal together could not secure the facilities to continue manufacturing. Once they signed the papers, all the process machinery had to be moved out of the old factory and set up in a completely different facility.
Took the better part of a year, from what I recall.
As a result, pretty much EVERY Fender guitar was made in Asia during this time.
The Japanese production was already proving itself as worth every cent, and suddenly guitars intended for the Japanese market were being sent to the USA to keep some sort of presence in the dealers' stores.

This was in the middle of the eighties, when there was plenty of hate and fear (not just in the USA) regarding the Japanese and their manufacturing and economic power. Those of you old enough will clearly remember the American carmakers and the ass-beating they were taking. There were many reasons for it, but one was the undeniable quality and the sensible price point of imported Japanese cars.

Oh, and Gibson was building some VERY nice guitars in Japan as well.

But China is no Japan in any way, shape, or form.

mjross

Reaction score

View attachment 537181 View attachment 537182
View attachment 537183
View attachment 537184
I still maintain it depends on who does the repair! YMMV...

InTheEvening

Reaction score
The MADE IN CHINA sticker is the deal-breaker for me.
Yeah, not gonna lie I have a built in bias for MIC guitars due to their history but I’ve heard good things about there more recent epiphones. Hopefully they’re getting their act together.

I have a Korean made epiphone LP from early 2000’s but I don’t think it’s anything special compared to what’s being made now. MIJ is obviously a whole different level but I don’t think it’s fair to compare to MIJ.

N=1 but nicest recent budget guitar from the East (excluding Made in Japan) I bought that surprised me was an Indonesian made Kramer. I still regret selling that guitar.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Right now even headstock repaired guitars are selling at a premium. $1,300 sounds like wishful thinking to me, but there's no harm in asking. I'd guess around $2,200 (and not worth it IMO)
That's about where I was at. $1800 - $2200.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
my one headstock replacement was a private seller from Reverb but I couldn't be more happy with the price. Now mine wasn't a Les Paul, it was an ES-335, but it was rock solid.

Frankie S.

Reaction score
Trying to negotiate with Guitar Center is no different then trying to negotiate with Wal Mart. Ask them the bottom line, if it's more then you want to pay, just walk away and find another guitar.

Spazeack

Reaction score
I just saw this myself today while looking thru Reverb. they are even less than 2 hours away from me driving wise. But i think even at the price its to much. It is missing pickups switches pots everything. That's an easy 300-400. maybe if i could get them lower on the price i could Frankenstein it and throw in some EMG's or maybe hummm true blasphemy and throw in some Fishmans. options are endless. I still haven't hear back I am letting it soak to say till the end of the month. See what happens.

Spazeack

Reaction score
I just saw this myself today while looking thru Reverb. they are even less than 2 hours away from me driving wise. But i think even at the price its to much. It is missing pickups switches pots everything. That's an easy 300-400. maybe if i could get them lower on the price i could Frankenstein it and throw in some EMG's or maybe hummm true blasphemy and throw in some Fishmans. options are endless. I still haven't hear back I am letting it soak to say till the end of the month. See what happens.
Well i guess it was to good of a deal since it has already sold in one day. If they would not have sanded the neck down I might have pulled the trigger. I guess it was not meant to be!

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Well i guess it was to good of a deal since it has already sold in one day. If they would not have sanded the neck down I might have pulled the trigger. I guess it was not meant to be!
Agreed! If headstock repaired right, I don't mind, given a deal. But that neck sanding, that killed it for me!

Matthewriot

Reaction score
aside from all the chatter about the headstock - why do people keep saying the blueberry burst isn’t easy to move or it’s super niche? Is it something that most people visually don’t like? Thanks in advance for anyones feedback!

Latest Threads