Headstock repaired pricing

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I'd walk away from that one for sure.

I'd really look for something else.

I would never want to be stuck with a cracked headstock LP I paid too much for, if and when I'd have to sell it.
Agreed, unless the guitar absolutely blows away the OP and they can’t imagine finding anything like it again, and thus has no plans to ever sell it. It doesn’t make much sense to go for it and risk taking a hit or a loss when it comes time to re-sell.
There are far too many good guitars and deals out there with enough searching around and waiting.

As for negotiating price with guitar center, it never hurts to ask. But I’ve rarely seen them budge, even when they know something is overpriced. There’s been used guitars listed in their website for almost brand new price. Pretty sure one is listed priced higher than brand new retail value.

Benniator

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, are they noting the neck repair somewhere on the sales tag?

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this post, but I also agree with the OP's number of $1300. When the OP has this money discussion with GC, it may be good to also remind them that it is BLUE which will also limit the buyer market. If they don't sell it to the OP at that price, he should say to GC, "No one is going to buy a blue Les Paul with a broken headstock for $1700. So when you are finally ready to sell it to me at $1300, here is my phone number. Call me."
And the phone will probably ring before he gets back to his car when the manager realizes he seriously walked away from it.

Spazeack

Reaction score
No they do not note the headstock repair in the sales tag lol. I figure they will get desperate enough to move it or someone else will pay more for it. That's my comfort price for the guitar. I figure I am taking all the risk on the repair and they cant provide any details about it. I don't plan on selling it. I never really sell anything I just sold a Jackson USA customer shop Soloist that I owned for 25 years and never even played cause I hated the middle pickup placement and the volume knob placement. So pretty sure it would go to the grave with me. I know resale on it would be shit and a super hard sell. I would actually probably throw some EMG pickups in it maybe to change it up a bit. Since its already been violated i wouldn't feel bad about it lol

InTheEvening

Reaction score
No they do not note the headstock repair in the sales tag lol. I figure they will get desperate enough to move it or someone else will pay more for it. That's my comfort price for the guitar. I figure I am taking all the risk on the repair and they cant provide any details about it. I don't plan on selling it. I never really sell anything I just sold a Jackson USA customer shop Soloist that I owned for 25 years and never even played cause I hated the middle pickup placement and the volume knob placement. So pretty sure it would go to the grave with me. I know resale on it would be shit and a super hard sell. I would actually probably throw some EMG pickups in it maybe to change it up a bit. Since its already been violated i wouldn't feel bad about it lol
That’s a bit shady they’re not listing the headstock repair anywhere, hopefully it’s not too easy to miss.
Some unknowing customer might pay more for it, without knowing it had the headstock repair if the store doesn’t disclose it.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
My 2000 Classic had a headstock repair. That's why I was able to get it for $1200, back in the day. That guitar was the best-sounding hog I ever owned, and it held up really well, too.

darkvoice

Reaction score
I would not do it, why would you want a guitar with broken/repaired headstock?

Besides, I paid less than $1300 for my LP Trad Pro V at GC. Mine's in satin finish and it's MSRP is less than glossy's blueberry burst MSRP. Plus it was an open box and other discounts were stacked on top of it, but still - I bought mine almost perfect LP for less than you want to offer for a broken head guitar.

My advise would be to wait for a guitar in better condition.

Oakman29

Reaction score
It's worth what someone is willing to pay. In this case $1300 but that's a long way for them to come down. Good luck!
I would pass on a broken headstock and look for a better example all together

Charliep

Reaction score
I repaired my own Headstock break and you can't really tell if you don't know where the break was. It is still playing strong 7 years later! Guitar was suspended upside down from coat hanger and hook in ceiling while gluing and 5 clamps to keep joint tight.

Last edited:

captdan61

Reaction score
I would never buy a guitar with a repaired headstock break, but that’s just me.
I would buy a vintage les paul jr. With a head stock repair and changed tuners and a re fret. But I figure that is the only way I could afford one. But mostly I agree with you.

timberterra

Reaction score
I too am a lefty and just wait it out as well. We lefties are good at that
But you have to remember that the sales person doesn't get to keep the money, so they'll likely stick close to their number. If the guitar hangs around the store too long then you have leverage.

As a lefty I do this trick now and then if I find something good that's lefty in stock (this is not common), and wait it out. there being far fewer lefties, and even less willing to shell out for an expensive guitar, they can end up taking up space where a righty that will move could be. I waited 2 years for my Brian Moore and got Ed Roman (yea, that one) to take $1,700.00 for it, where he had it listed as down from $3,000.00 to $2,500.00. Being patient can pay off...

Charliep

Reaction score
I actually used a red permanent marker along the crack and rubbed it in smooth with my finger and the crack disappeared.

captdan61

Reaction score
And are you buying it as a "Collector " or as just something to play? I am so couple guitars that are pretty nice but By and large everything I buy. I buy as a player and to be honest I probably play 5 of the guitars I have which leaves 15 I don't play regularly but enjoy.

dasherf17

Reaction score
Its probably a little optimistic to think that they'll bite on $1300....but you'll never know if you don't make the offer.
Generally 60% of regular price for an unbroken one is where you sit, so $1700 is where you expect it to be priced.

Hey, start there, but don't pay over $2000...keep it under that...keep reminding them it's broke...fixed or not.
I like your take, Sharp!

zdoggie

Reaction score
I totally agree with dog breath it could come apart no good save your money I personally don't think its worth 500.00,and they should be glad to dispose of it let gc take a little hit they can afford it.
zdog

shawn7

Reaction score
If 13 is what you feel it's worth then that's what it's worth. You know more about this than me but I've enjoyed reading it to learn. Back in the day nobody would touch neck repair jobs. Now i have "seen" some that are virtually impossible to detect and/or claimed to be stronger than the original.

I have read often that it's an instant "minus 1k" for a neck repair. That sounds a little low to me, but I suppose you gotta figure vintage in there.

Your figure of 1300 sounds very realistic if it's a decent repair, as in they want let's say 2300 (tagged at 2499), less the repair. I'm speculating that the manager of the store as well as regional have inventory value somewhere on a spreadsheet, along with sales and loss all accounted into his monthly bonus or whatever. So they kept the value on the tag at that high point to help from devaluing the inventory. That would be a nod from regional, never admitted on the floor.

The other possibility is a connected someone wants to buy it, and doesn't have the scratch, so they are keeping buyers away.

I walked into a store one day, and saw a paul or Sg up on the wall i wanted to try, the guy brought it down, plugged it in then started playing it. Then he said uh oh, turned it over and said, "nice."

The neck was cracked lol. I'm glad I never put a finger on it. Anyway, they started talking about who closed the night before etc. The manager came over and immediately took it into his office and started doing paperwork along with computer entries, totally stoic. I was there to sell them something that day, and i had to walk, it was a pretty poor experience.

Timing comes into play on these things. That's the point. Wait until a manager is closing in on their revenue goals or something and you may get what you want.

Otherwise, no big loss. Keep looking in the meantime. You got a gold top bud? You should have one.

Last edited:

DBDM

Reaction score
a good repair on a broken headstock knocks 40% off the price of a LP, unless there is a asterisk (like a real 59 owned by a guitar "God"). Doubtful they will come off the price by 40%. If not, let it go. There are others in the world--not like they only made one?

If I wanted that guitar I would offer $1650 and not a penny more. (Cause I am tough like that and never give into whims or impulse buys on guitars or gear. Strictly business. I NEED the 20 or so guitars that I own!)

DBDM

Reaction score
My experience with GC is that they frequently do not know the true value of used/vintage/repaired instruments and really do not care if you buy it or not.

Latest Threads