Headstock repaired pricing

Spazeack

Reaction score
So long story short....I had my local GC hunt me down a Lp trad pro v blueberry burst. They shipped it from another store and low and behold it had a busted headstock. The repair looked pretty darn good on it. But I wanted something perfect. In the warehouse the had the same guitar but in the cherry burst finish. I Got it its perfect and I love it.
So I swung by this Friday and that blueberry blueberry burst it’s still hanging on the wall. I just love the color and top. Told him I was interested still but I need a much better price. List brand new they are 2799. They had it on sale for 2499 which is a joke. Even the sales guy said it was a ridiculous price on the tag. This one had a 19 serial # on it so it’s been a wall hanger for over a year. The body has a few very minor marks on it to. So the sales guy say he will talk to the regional manager and see what he can do.
The repair looked pretty good. It played fine sounded great etc.
My question is what’s a realistic price. In my mind 1300 is where I am at. I know it will never really ever appreciate in value with the headstock repair and I am fine with that . I just want to play the heck out of it and enjoy it. Am I realistic with what I think it’s worth?
Thanks

ARandall

Reaction score
Its probably a little optimistic to think that they'll bite on $1300....but you'll never know if you don't make the offer.
Generally 60% of regular price for an unbroken one is where you sit, so $1700 is where you expect it to be priced.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Its probably a little optimistic to think that they'll bite on $1300....but you'll never know if you don't make the offer. Generally 60% of regular price for an unbroken one is where you sit, so $1700 is where you expect it to be priced.
I agree with this post, but I also agree with the OP's number of $1300. When the OP has this money discussion with GC, it may be good to also remind them that it is BLUE which will also limit the buyer market. If they don't sell it to the OP at that price, he should say to GC, "No one is going to buy a blue Les Paul with a broken headstock for $1700. So when you are finally ready to sell it to me at $1300, here is my phone number. Call me."

musicmaniac

Reaction score
It's worth what someone is willing to pay. In this case $1300 but that's a long way for them to come down. Good luck!

Shelkonnery

Reaction score
I'd personally be a bit skeptic about buying a guitar with a repaired headstock that hasn't been put to use extensively after the repair. You would be a guinea pig of sorts for the aftermath of the repair.

But at that price, I guess it's worth taking a chance.

Did they say who did the repair? (Gibson, GC, some trusty local luthier...)

mjross

Reaction score
All repairs are not equal! Was it done by a reputable shop or what? I have an ”06” Les Paul Custom repaired by Seuf’s Guitars in “06” you really have to look for the repair and it plays perfect. No sign of a problem in 15 years. If I was to sell that guitar I’d give a discount but I would not give it away. I’d keep it before I’d give in to this half price BS!

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you make the $1,300 offer, place 13 $100 bills on the counter, then watch them stare long and hard at it. Putting money on the counter is a serious incentive to a seller.

If they make a counter offer, quietly and politely gather up your money, turn and walk out. Chances are about 50/50 they'll call you back and accept.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I say just let it go because they won't come down enough, you will probably still want it, and pay too much. Put the money aside and wait for another to come along. I have nothing against repaired headstocks, had one, it was excellent, but the price has to be right.

Brian N

Reaction score
Right now even headstock repaired guitars are selling at a premium. $1,300 sounds like wishful thinking to me, but there's no harm in asking. I'd guess around $2,200 (and not worth it IMO)

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
When you make the $1,300 offer, place 13 $100 bills on the counter, then watch them stare long and hard at it. Putting money on the counter is a serious incentive to a seller.

If they make a counter offer, quietly and politely gather up your money, turn and walk out. Chances are about 50/50 they'll call you back and accept.
But you have to remember that the sales person doesn't get to keep the money, so they'll likely stick close to their number. If the guitar hangs around the store too long then you have leverage.

As a lefty I do this trick now and then if I find something good that's lefty in stock (this is not common), and wait it out. there being far fewer lefties, and even less willing to shell out for an expensive guitar, they can end up taking up space where a righty that will move could be. I waited 2 years for my Brian Moore and got Ed Roman (yea, that one) to take $1,700.00 for it, where he had it listed as down from $3,000.00 to $2,500.00. Being patient can pay off...

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
they probably wont sell it to you with that much of a haircut

they can put up online and someone will grab it....

but doesnt hurt to ask...

im not a fan of that finish...so i would ask for that discount based on color not on the repair..... :rofl:

Last edited:

Spazeack

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. I know it’s a hefty discount i am looking for but they don’t have any information about who or where it was repaired. The store they shipped it from was in California and the manager of that store told him it was fine nothing wrong with it. That store had it for a year and where unable to sell it. Now it’s been at this store for a month. I figure that’s what it’s worth to me. Anything more and well I will remind him to call me if they change their mind in another month. Otherwise I will just wait for Gibson to offer the blueberry burst finish on the standard again.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
Guitar Center. There's your first problem. Just move on. No point in wasting time trying to get a fair deal on something from GC.

Leee

Reaction score
I agree with ... the OP's number of $1300.
... it is BLUE which will also limit the buyer market.
I'm in complete agreement here.
I understand your desires and your methodology, but keep in mind how much trouble you will have when YOU decide to sell a guitar that NOBODY will want - unless it is dirt cheap.
In this situation, there's no motivation other than a stupid-low price for 98% of the the buyers out there.

If you buy this guitar at any price, you may as well get a matching tattoo because you will have both of them forever.

I say this after owning a few headstock breaks myself.
My avatar Les Paul was a black '93 Standard I bought new.
Sold it to a friend, his kid broke it a few years later.
I bought it back CHEAP and made a hot rod out of it.
I didn't even touch up the break - it's CLEARLY visible.

"... So when you are finally ready to sell it to me at $1300, here is my phone number. Call me."
A Saylz Dood has no autonomy to cut such a deal.
And he probably will never even mention it to his boss.
You will need to talk to the manager, and I mean THE manager, not the associate assistant weekend manager trainee - which covers pretty much every employee in the store except THE manager.

Last edited:

Leee

Reaction score
If the guitar hangs around the store too long then you have leverage...
As a lefty I do this trick ... and wait it out.
Bingo.

Ed Roman (yea, that one)
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
And you survived?

When in Las Vegas, I would always hit his store to check out the massive inventory - and watch the staff.
Ed was a REAL piece of work, and he trained his folks well.

On a handful of occasions, I found a guitar I wanted to buy.
I was ready to take the plunge, cash in hand.
(We're talking thousands of dollars, not hundreds)

But I could never get to the cash register and consumate the deal before the mindlessly arrogant sales stupidity started.
I put my cash back in my pocket and voted with my feet.

Being patient can pay off...
WISDOM.

mjross

Reaction score
Broken head stock guitars sell all the time. One of my favorite Les Pauls has a broken head stock. It might be difficult to sell on a forum like this where sometime opinions are like...well you know the rest!

It all depends on who repaired it. I’ve seen hack jobs that I would not waste my time with. Or if it’s like mine, repaired by Seuf’s, I did not give it a second thought! Excellent guitar and the price was right.

Last edited:

Phillycheez402

Reaction score
So long story short....I had my local GC hunt me down a Lp trad pro v blueberry burst. They shipped it from another store and low and behold it had a busted headstock. The repair looked pretty darn good on it. But I wanted something perfect. In the warehouse the had the same guitar but in the cherry burst finish. I Got it its perfect and I love it.
So I swung by this Friday and that blueberry blueberry burst it’s still hanging on the wall. I just love the color and top. Told him I was interested still but I need a much better price. List brand new they are 2799. They had it on sale for 2499 which is a joke. Even the sales guy said it was a ridiculous price on the tag. This one had a 19 serial # on it so it’s been a wall hanger for over a year. The body has a few very minor marks on it to. So the sales guy say he will talk to the regional manager and see what he can do.
The repair looked pretty good. It played fine sounded great etc.
My question is what’s a realistic price. In my mind 1300 is where I am at. I know it will never really ever appreciate in value with the headstock repair and I am fine with that . I just want to play the heck out of it and enjoy it. Am I realistic with what I think it’s worth?
Thanks
Fuckin love my trad pro v

Latest Threads