Headstock repaint on 1980s poly finished Burny: what type of paint and clear coat to use?

iguana15

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was going to touch up a repaired headstock on a 1980s Burny flying V. Do you have any recommendations to what type of paint and clearcoat I might purchase? I was thinking of using spray cans. Total newbie. I believe it has a poly finish and is a black and white Micheal Schenker style paint job. Thank you for any advice. Not looking to make it perfect, just better

P.H.Fawcett

Reaction score
You shouldn't have any problems with spraying nitro from a rattle can over the poly.

Just clean it off with some naptha and lightly sand with fine 1200grit wet'n'dry.

I assuming it's the face of the headstock so you may want to tape off the sides. Start with a mist coat or two. Then slowly build slightly heavier coats until it looks "smooth" and shiny. Leave for a few or more days with some air flow. If there's any orange peel/dimples use the 1200 grit very lightly to level the face. Come back with very fine auto polish if it's not as glossy as you'd like.

You will get it right with trial and error and patience.

Latest Threads