Headstock Defect

jjflash

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone has come across this before. I recently bought a 2012 Les Paul Traditional from a used Gibson dealer. In all my excitement of buying my first GLP, I didn't notice until for a couple weeks that there's a slight defect in the headstock there are gold patches coming through the black... I really don't know how I missed this, I feel a bit foolish as it's plain to see. I thought maybe it wasn't there when I bought it and had somehow happened since but I had saved some of the pics from the website of the store where I bought it and when I looked back at the pics... There it is.... Anyway it doesn't bother me too much, in fact it's maybe a good thing as it makes the guitar slightly unique and God forbid it was ever stolen, it would actually make it easier to track down ... I'm just wondering if anyone has come across this before... What is it.... is it just a factory error from when it was being sprayed ?.... I'm curious ...

Thanks in advance... I've attached a pic

Attachments

none2low

Reaction score
I presume you are referring to the areas around the tuners? If so, it looks like there is a bit of lacquer delamination, probably from over tightening the tuners.

If it really bothers you, you could have a local tech over-spray the headstock with a wet coat to try to reflow the lacquer. No guarantee it'll work though. If there is any type of contaminate under the original finish it'll just happen again.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I think none2low has it right.

It might pop up on another spot tho so I doubt the work would worthwhile. It might stick out now on a shiny guitar but after many years of playing and some scratches later you wont even notice it I guess.

Some years of the Les Paul Studio model are notorious for their headstock finish flaking off like this:

bum

Reaction score
I thought they were reflections at first OP and I was super confused as I could see nothing wrong at all :laugh2:
Definitely looks like pressure points separating the clear coat from the headstock

jjflash

Reaction score
I presume you are referring to the areas around the tuners? If so, it looks like there is a bit of lacquer delamination, probably from over tightening the tuners.

If it really bothers you, you could have a local tech over-spray the headstock with a wet coat to try to reflow the lacquer. No guarantee it'll work though. If there is any type of contaminate under the original finish it'll just happen again.
Yeah that's what I was talking about dude. Thanks for your comment. I don't think it bothers me too much. I'm usually a bit OCD with that kinda stuff, if it was any other guitar it would probably bother me

jjflash

Reaction score
I thought they were reflections at first OP and I was super confused as I could see nothing wrong at all :laugh2:
Definitely looks like pressure points separating the clear coat from the headstock
I'm not the only one who missed it so

jjflash

Reaction score
I think none2low has it right.

It might pop up on another spot tho so I doubt the work would worthwhile. It might stick out now on a shiny guitar but after many years of playing and some scratches later you wont even notice it I guess.

Some years of the Les Paul Studio model are notorious for their headstock finish flaking off like this:

Glad to hear it's a common thing! Your worn headstock looks class

ARandall

Reaction score
The other headstocks shown suffer from an adhesion/incompatibility issue between the base and the nitro. It was for a short period in time that these exist, and it is very common but only in that era guitar. Its merely a matter of time until the phenomenon spreads for those instruments.
Yours is local crush damage from a mechanical action. You can simply take the tuners out and wick a little very thin CA glue (or some very thinned nitro clear) under the lifted sections to readhere that area. Which most probably will completely eliminate the look.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2011 Traditional did that under each of the E tuners but nowhere else.

494A8BFE-706D-45BB-8ADD-F3AF099E4956.jpeg

Wrench66

Reaction score
I actually think it’s caused by the tuners being loose. String tension will pull on the tuning peg, which can move a little if the nut isn’t tight, and push and lift the nitro in front of it. That’s why it’s always on the nut side of the tuner.

Of course I’m no expert here. Just throwing out ideas.

I always check the nuts on the headstock for tightness at every string change. I’ve often found the

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow.

Does anyone have pics of this happening on a vintage Gib, say 1955 to 1969?

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow.

Does anyone have pics of this happening on a vintage Gib, say 1955 to 1969?
You know I have never seen it happen to a brand new instrument.... usually on a guitar that suffered some kind of abuse over time.... and usually around the Gibson mop inlay.

Mine was brand new within a week of owning it these tiny half moon blisters showed up under the E tuners..... there were no adverse temp changes.... nothing. I took an xacto knife and trimmed them off before they got bigger... that was it. No other issue.

Everything was nice and tight.... and not over tight.

That Traditional is now 10 years old.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ay-yi-yi.. I hope it never happens to one of my builds.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ The vintage ones all have press in bushing tuners.
The ones I always see this lifting damage on are the ones with grover tuners (or similar), where you can get some serious torque behind the tightening nut on the face.

jjflash

Reaction score
You know I have never seen it happen to a brand new instrument.... usually on a guitar that suffered some kind of abuse over time.... and usually around the Gibson mop inlay.

Mine was brand new within a week of owning it these tiny half moon blisters showed up under the E tuners..... there were no adverse temp changes.... nothing. I took an xacto knife and trimmed them off before they got bigger... that was it. No other issue.

Everything was nice and tight.... and not over tight.

That Traditional is now 10 years old.
Would love to see a pic of your headstock after cutting out the blisters ...

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would love to see a pic of your headstock after cutting out the blisters ...
That is a pic after i cut them out.... you can almost make out my angled cut as I hesitated under the low E tuner.

The high E tuner i did it in one sweeping cut.

Latest Threads