Headstock Break Question

HCRoadie

Reaction score
What seems to be the best way to keep glue out of the truss rod channel? Thanks in advance for your help.

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you'll be using a wood glue, wipe with a wet cloth after clamping. If you can't reach the area after clamping, use a more appropriate amount and try to minimize what squeezes out.

HCRoadie

Reaction score
Since you'll be using a wood glue, wipe with a wet cloth after clamping. If you can't reach the area after clamping, use a more appropriate amount and try to minimize what squeezes out.
So just be careful. No real voodoo involved. Thanks X

randelli

Reaction score
I have never tried a headstock repair but I do enjoy puzzles and problem solving.

What about dripping wax to form a dam; and then scraping it out after the glue dries? I don't think wax would hurt the wood or metal parts?

tnt423

Reaction score
It depends on where the break is and if have the nut and fingerboard off. Mainly, I try to keep from using excessive glue so I don't have to worry about it.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
What kind of truss rod? With most common types it doesn't matter if there's glue in the channel or not since the rod doesn't turn, just the nut. (old Gibsons had them glued in on purpose)

HCRoadie

Reaction score
What kind of truss rod? With most common types it doesn't matter if there's glue in the channel or not since the rod doesn't turn, just the nut. (old Gibsons had them glued in on purpose)
AHHHHHHHH! I did not look at it from that perspective. I can see how this applies to Gibbons, but Epiphones have the more recessed hex head nut.

fumblefinger

Reaction score
I've used a q-tip to work car wax in the TR cavity. At least if I get a glue leak it won't stick to the wood and I can pop it out with a pick if it's in a visible area (like under the TR cover).

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I have fixed them and I cover the truss rod with some loose plastic. I move the truss rod back and forward. The glue that may have gotten on it won't cause any trouble. I just leave the plastic there, it won't hurt any thing.

ggwatt

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used heat shrink tubing on a Gibson F5 Mandolin truss rod today. Didn't heat it, I just put it over the truss rod while I glued the broken headstock.

Latest Threads