Headstock binding with different StewMac tools

flah

Reaction score
I did a single-ply headstock binding using two slightly different methods - first with the StewMac binding channel attachment for the Dremel, then with a StewMac router bit and a template I made myself.

First I did the sides and top of the headstock using the StewMac binding router guide. I didn't like this tool that much - it's too easy to tilt the part that rests against the face such that cuts are not uniform. With a little practice it's not too bad, but you have to go slow and be wary of tearout.

Binding_Router_Guide_sm.jpg

Next, I used one of StewMac's inlay router bits, and created my own edge template for the curved returns on the headstock, and used StewMac's Precision Router Base:
Precision_Router_Base_sm.jpg

Though it took time to make the template, it was much easier to use than the binding attachment.

Here's what my template looked like:

1535625_10151939100087075_1409541126_n.jpg

And here's what my binding looks like currently - I need to sand the binding down to match the headstock face.

1604784_10151939100162075_329428714_n.jpg

Jim Engen

Reaction score
When i started i tried similar things with a Dremel. From others advice here i bought a laminate trimmer and Stewmac binding/rabbeting bits. No comparison. Laminate trimmers are very versatile in guitar building. Beautiful binding channels are a cinch and using smaller flush trim bits for tighter radius routing like corners of pickup cavities and such make it a wonderful tool. Along side a full sized router of course.

Jim

pfox14

Reaction score
I also use a laminate trimmer and a rabbit bit with a guide bearing for all my binding channels - body and headstock.

ARandall

Reaction score
Laminate trimmer for me too.

I would also do the binding before you've shaped the neck profile and transition to the headstock. That way the bearing can sit on the side all the way around.

Jim Engen

Reaction score
Depending on the design and the way you approach it i do the headstock binding before i attach the fingerboard. Then the binding goes all the way up and connects with the binding on the fingerboard when it gets attached.

Jim

Latest Threads