Head's up on pattern maker's vise

Roxy13

Reaction score
I've been coveting the Stew Mac one, but the Woodriver is currently marked down for Father's Day to $99 and on Amazon it ships for free ($19 shipping at Woodcraft).

I just grabbed one and I'll probably add the urethane pads from SM to the wood pieces or glue some thick leather or something on there.

endial

Reaction score
Man, that's a great deal. I just came from my local Woodcraft (same company, same vise) and was too early for this sale. Looks like another trip to Oakwood Village! -Which is dangerous... because... tools.

Seriously, thanks for the heads-up, @Roxy13 ! :yesway:

SlingBlader

Reaction score
Yep, I snagged one from SM a few years back also on sale for $99... definitely the most used tool in the shop. Total game changer.

DaveR

Reaction score
Game changer for sure. I bought the SM version a few years ago when it was on sale for maybe $140. The next week woodcraft had it for 99. Grizzly just had this one for 115? Plus shipping and I sent a buddy after it because he really needs one. 2 days later Roxy posts this awesome deal. Whoops. I’m not even gonna tell him.

endial

Reaction score
It's on it's way, expected delivery on Wednesday. I'm excited to finally have one.
Weighs more than a triple-pup Norlin Custom. Just so you know. I got the last one at my local Woodcraft store today.

Needs a dedicated 13/16 inch wrench for the jaws. Anybody have a solution to this? Customized bolts or grips? Not that I can't figure something out, but I'm open to already proven ideas.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Game changer for sure. I bought the SM version a few years ago when it was on sale for maybe $140. The next week woodcraft had it for 99. Grizzly just had this one for 115? Plus shipping and I sent a buddy after it because he really needs one. 2 days later Roxy posts this awesome deal. Whoops. I’m not even gonna tell him.
I came across it by accident after getting the email about the Grizzly one being on sale. I also noticed the Grizzly one said something about having silcone on the wood jaws? Isn't that bad for nitro finished guitars?

At any rate I decided to see what else was out there besides Grizzly and StewMac and that's when I found the sale on the WoodRiver one.

Yes @endial all vises are heavy lol. My regular one is like 55 lb. Where did you see the info about the 13/16" wrench? I might have one but I might not.

Edit: apparently my large set of Stanley SAE wrenches has 13/16".

pshupe

Reaction score
Me too. I love this vise.
Weighs more than a triple-pup Norlin Custom. Just so you know. I got the last one at my local Woodcraft store today.

Needs a dedicated 13/16 inch wrench for the jaws. Anybody have a solution to this? Customized bolts or grips? Not that I can't figure something out, but I'm open to already proven ideas.

Why do you need to adjust those bolts? I've had mine for +5 yrs and have never thought of needing to touch them. I guess they adjust the tension on the rotation of the jaws but as I have said, I have not needed to adjust them. Vise grips would work or buy one from Amazon for $5.

Capture.JPG

I also noticed the Grizzly one said something about having silcone on the wood jaws? Isn't that bad for nitro finished guitars?

Stew Mac and other sites say the jaws are covered on the inside with a urethane sheet. It's about 1/8" thick. It's noted as a non-marring surface.

Cheers Peter.

Last edited:

DaveR

Reaction score
I also noticed the Grizzly one said something about having silcone on the wood jaws? Isn't that bad for nitro finished guitars?
Oh no! I sure hope not. It looks just like the SM version, but I’m not sure what’s on those. Probably not silicone. I’d feel terrible for recommending that to a friend in that case. Although, I’m wondering if it matters. Like a rubber guitar stand would be bad for nitro if you leave it set for months, but it’s not going to hurt to sit it on for an hour, right? I wouldn’t leave a finished guitar clamped up in the vice for any length of time.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Oh no! I sure hope not. It looks just like the SM version, but I’m not sure what’s on those. Probably not silicone. I’d feel terrible for recommending that to a friend in that case. Although, I’m wondering if it matters. Like a rubber guitar stand would be bad for nitro if you leave it set for months, but it’s not going to hurt to sit it on for an hour, right? I wouldn’t leave a finished guitar clamped up in the vice for any length of time.
It's in the reviews so I bet he is wrong about that. I probably shouldn't have taken it seriously then either, but I saw that and said hmm. It's probably urethane like the other ones.

DaveR

Reaction score
I’m fairly convinced that all these vices quite literally come out of the same factory. SM puts their own handle on and paints them red. I’d be surprised if the jaw material is different between different brands. I bet they’re urethane as Peter and Roxy have mentioned.

As for adjusting the big nuts, I did it once when I first got it. They’re nylon lock nuts so they stay put. You want them to be loose enough to pivot but not sloppy.

If you don’t own a wrench that is big enough, I would highly recommend picking up a cheap large adjustable wrench. Comes in handy for all kinds of stuff.

CRAFTSMAN Adjustable Wrench Set, 3-Piece (CMMT12001) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QQ8P5K6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6V9SHVZTE7HMSXPPRVAA

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yeah, when I adapt things to guitar repair use I might be a little over vigilent in looking for things that we don't want to be there, like silicone lol. Generally luthier supply places know these things about the tools they sell, but that's not always the case with general tool supply places. Notice neither Grizzly nor WoodRiver even mention there is padding. I had read about both of them on their own sites and other sites and never any mention of it for the WoodRiver. I thought I'd have to buy or make something for it until I posted about it here.

pshupe

Reaction score
Meanwhile in Canada....

View attachment 543531
LOL - I had that snipped and was going to send a couple of days ago. That's Can$ though, so it's close! :rofl: We have Lee Valley and Gizzly will deliver to Canada as well. This is classic Amazon.com. It's basically someone saying if you want to pay 3x the price. I will buy one and send it to you.

Stew Mac - Can$235 (US$193)
Lee Valley - Can$199 (US$164)
Grizzly - Can$140 (US$112.76)

IMHO this tool is worth any of those prices. :thumbs:

Cheers Peter.

Latest Threads