Heading to Paris... need some tips!

EndGame00

Reaction score
Paris is a little "hot" to be on the travel list .. don't forget to bring a yellow vest....

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Don't wear jewelry, don't carry your wallet in your back pocket, watch out for pickpockets around the tourist areas...don't look like a tourist. Ignore the beggars. Pay attention...or at least look like you're paying attention. I was there in the early 90s and loved it. My daughter was there last year and there are a lot more beggars and pickpockets now than there was when I was there.

dsmcl77

Reaction score
As for gears, you'll get better deal in the USA or London...

A good place for a beer and good rock music is Guiness Tavern, 31bis Rue des Lombards, 75001.

2 to 3 show a night at L'international Rock mainly, but also, folk, pop, hip-hop, electro & techno
Check below for the agenda
Btw, happy hours from 18h-21h before the shows that are in the cellar below....

I hope you didn't think quiting booze during this vacation time...

dsmcl77

Reaction score
And do not worry about the yellow vest, there is more police force than yellow vest in Paris.
And Yellow vest is only on saturdays afternoon and now well under control.
IF you hear or see a demonstration, just walk the other way and come back the next day to do what you planned to do.

dsmcl77

Reaction score
Don't wear jewelry, don't carry your wallet in your back pocket, watch out for pickpockets around the tourist areas...don't look like a tourist. Ignore the beggars. Pay attention...or at least look like you're paying attention. I was there in the early 90s and loved it. My daughter was there last year and there are a lot more beggars and pickpockets now than there was when I was there.
Yes, although there is not more pickpockets than in any capital city in the world, except Riyad, PLEASE, try to avoid that:

And one thing, that apply anywhere in the world. Learn a few words.

Bonjour (good morning/good day)
Au revoir (good bye)
Merci (thank you)
Excusez-moi (sorry, excuse me)
Parlez vous anglais (do you speak english)
S'il vous plait (please)

Many french understand english, less will speak to you in the Shakespeare mother tongue. That will encourage them if you start with a french word, and then speak slowly (not too slow though, we are not idiots).

dsmcl77

Reaction score
Nearly forgot, a cheap (but very good) place to eat

La Felicità

Meat, grill, pizzas/italian, burgers, plancha, cold cuts à la french... young and trendy.

from 16 to 35€ open 7 days a week, non-stop de 11h45 to 2h (11h45 to 14h30 mondays and tuesdays).

4 500 m2, 1 000 seats, 5 kitchens, 3 bars et 1 pop-up restaurant.

Just look at that !!!

:

Great place to stay, but it depend your budget, Mama Shelter:

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Premium Member
Reaction score
+1 on Versailles

If you are going to go up the Eiffel tower, get there early if you don't want to wait for hours.

Be careful if you are going to drive. The locals drive like idiots and more than a few don't have any insurance. (Ask me how I know)
So they drive like Boston Drivers???

sk8rat

Reaction score
I went to paris a couple years ago. there is a street called rue de douai. some of the shops have some really nice guitars. they have weird schedules in paris though so some of the shops close mid day for like an hour or two. probably the most famous shop on the street is guitar legend but the employees are absolute pricks.

I would say avoid staying downtown because it's expensive and the area is actually really dirty.

the touristy places to hit are;
eiffel tower
the louvre
arch de triumph
moulin rouge
sacre coure
picasso museum
disneyland paris
paris also has some really nice parks that are definitely worth checking out. my favorite was the jardin de tuileries which is right by the louvre and it was one of my over all favorite things about my trip

one thing I really regret not doing is taking the train from paris to london. it's only a couple hour ride and you can find tickets for a decent price if you book in advance.

another thing is, bring comfortable shoes! I didn't and my feet hurt really bad after all the walking.

chazza

Reaction score
when was this? A third party insurance is mandatory in every EU country
3 or 4 years ago.
Just because it's mandatory doesn't mean that everybody has it.

I got rear ended at a red light just off the peripherique.
Got out to exchange details with the guy and he just backed up, pulled out around my car and f**cked off.

scott1970

Reaction score
Hi everyone... taking the wife to Paris as shes had a tough year and always wanted to go. I bought some guidebooks however figure there is a wealth of knowledge here as well!

Will be there 5 days and budget... well lets not even talk about it lol... i am not rich by any means, so no Michelin restaurants lol. I do have a bunch of marriott points though!

1. Best area to stay in (i see names and numbers for various areas in the guidebook)
2. Great things to do or not... open to trips outside of the city
3. Any tours to take or stay away from (we will prob do the hop on/off bus as that seems to work well to get the big picture)
4. Any cost saving tips lololol
5. And of course... any great gear or music venues!!!

Sincere thanks in advance!!!

I've been to Paris and hated it. Paris, Tennessee.

Curious George

Reaction score
Right, back from busy week of work that didn't give me lots of time for MLP.

I agree that Veraille is a great place to go at the time of the year you will come in Paris.
the Palace, Gardens, the Little Trianon (the queen own sheepfold). It's a big day trip.
Take the RER C (a commuting train), take it at St Michel-Notre Dame Metro sation. Make sure you take the C5 that goes to Versaille-Château.
If you're loaded, Taxis can take care of what's inside your wallet... You also can use UBER.

But really, Metro and RER are efficient and plentyful. Just like anywhere eslse in the world, beware of pickpockets. Especially if you like to have "THAT tourist look"...

If you like paintings, a unique place, a time bubble that takes you deep into the impressionists world, of if you like beauty, gardens, flower and nature, the second place to visit outside Paris is The Garden of Giverny, the House of the famous french painter MONET. Just Google it...
Go there either by trainfrom Saint Lazare train station http://giverny.org/transpor/sncfgb.htm
Or with an organised bus trip http://giverny.org/tour/

The second choice also offers a Versaille-Giverny day trip. It seems a lot for me to do in one day, but hey! I can go when I want., It's 2 hours from where I live.

For you It can be a good option to be able to see both.

Best Pastry in Paris, or should I stay in the world (yep! I am not affraid to say that...) ONE STOP ONLY
Pierre Hermé at 86 Champs Elysées
View attachment 387605
The best thing here, is that Pierre Hermé openned this shop as a joint venture with L'Occitane which is a french perfume and natural beauty product quality brand.
Bring your wife there (the second day to get the Jetlag out of the way) and she'll makes love to you like crazy, perfumed and creamed from head to toes, for the rest of the week.
You'll get the cakes, and the cherry on the cake... Dude, trust me on this.:naughty:

One of the best baguettes are at Dominique Saibron boulangerie, 77 avenue du Général Leclerc, XIVe. www.dominique-saibron.com
or, Dupain, 20 boulevard des Filles-du-Calvaire, XIe, www.dupain.paris
Great Morning pastries there too, get the brioche feuilletée aux pralines naturelles and the chausson aux pommes fraiches caramélisées, people would kill for those...

Of course in those two, many other breads to try...

An another one that has many places around Paris is: La Maison Lendemain

Lots of great old style breads there.

123 rue Monge, Ve - 26 rue des Martyrs, IXe - 56 rue de Clichy, IXe - 121 rue de Charonne, XIe - 136 rue de la Roquette, XIe - 28 boulevard Beaumarchais, XIe - 41 rue Oberkampf, XIe - 2 rue Crozatier, XIIe - Place Cambronne, XVe - 4 rue du Poteau, XVIIIe - 210 rue Pyrénées, XXe, 2 rue de la Station, Asnières-sur-Seine - 73 rue Carnot, Levallois-Perret. www.maisonlandemaine.com

I hope you do not plan a diet during this vacation time...
View attachment 387603View attachment 387604
Wowowowo.... thanks for taking all this time brother!

Added these to the MUST list and very much appreciate the detail!!!. Eating good food and drinking good wine while soaking in the art and history... it seems like 5 days will go by wayyy too fast.

...and yes, have been learning some french!

Last edited:

Sharky

Reaction score
3 or 4 years ago.
Just because it's mandatory doesn't mean that everybody has it.

I got rear ended at a red light just off the peripherique.
Got out to exchange details with the guy and he just backed up, pulled out around my car and f**cked off.
and how do you know he didn't have an insurance and what makes you think that 50 % of the french cars are not insured?

dsmcl77

Reaction score
I went to paris a couple years ago. there is a street called rue de douai. some of the shops have some really nice guitars. they have weird schedules in paris though so some of the shops close mid day for like an hour or two. probably the most famous shop on the street is guitar legend but the employees are absolute pricks.

I would say avoid staying downtown because it's expensive and the area is actually really dirty.

the touristy places to hit are;
eiffel tower
the louvre
arch de triumph
moulin rouge
sacre coure
picasso museum
disneyland paris
paris also has some really nice parks that are definitely worth checking out. my favorite was the jardin de tuileries which is right by the louvre and it was one of my over all favorite things about my trip

one thing I really regret not doing is taking the train from paris to london. it's only a couple hour ride and you can find tickets for a decent price if you book in advance.

another thing is, bring comfortable shoes! I didn't and my feet hurt really bad after all the walking.
Agree 100% about everything.
Mid day closing is for lunch time... This is France Dude! We take our meal times seriously... 3 course meal is a minimum.

:naughty:

But it is changing. Back in the 90's it was at least 2 hours lunch break, now shops are more and more staying open all day long.

Last edited:

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
I have eaten more snails in the US than I ever did living in France. In fact, I know more people here eating them than the French :laugh2: Specialty kind of thing really.

They are tasty though..mmmmmm.

Happy birthday (belated)!

chazza

Reaction score
and how do you know he didn't have an insurance and what makes you think that 50 % of the french cars are not insured?
I assumed the reason that he didn't want to exchange insurance details was that he didn't have any.
Maybe I was wrong and he was just in a real hurry to get to the shops.

And who mentioned 50% of french cars?
I said 'more than a few' and was referring to Paris specifically, not France generally.

scott1970

Reaction score
Were you there for the fish fry?
Deer hunting on the Tennessee/Kentucky border during Thanksgiving. Could only find a McDonald’s to eat at in Thanksgiving Day in Paris, Tennessee. It’s a horrible memory.

45WinMag

Reaction score
Deer hunting on the Tennessee/Kentucky border during Thanksgiving. Could only find a McDonald’s to eat at in Thanksgiving Day in Paris, Tennessee. It’s a horrible memory.
You would have a better time at the fish fry.

Harmony

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Happy birthday (belated)!
Thank you and good to see you Nicky! I cannot get into my FB account so hope all is well with you.

You have posted some great pictures of Paris on there in the past, you are quite some traveler :)

Harmony

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Agree 100% about everything.
Mid day closing is for lunch time... This is France Dude! We take our meal times seriously... 3 course meal is a minimum.

View attachment 387750
View attachment 387752
View attachment 387756

:naughty:

But it is changing. Back in the 90's it was at least 2 hours lunch break, now shops are more and more staying open all day long.

You are reminding me of what I am missing. Delicious. I think a visit to my younger brother is needed :laugh2: