Heading to Paris... need some tips!

prs97

Reaction score
We stayed in the 5th district (Latin Quarter I believe). It was nice and quiet in the evenings.

Definitely go to Versailles.

Definitely do a boat cruise on the Sienne after the sun goes down. The views of the city are spectacular.

defcrew

Reaction score
Great suggestions here and I cannot add much except that when my son and I went we must have walked one million miles. We spy the Eiffel Tower and begin heading towards it. Hayseed that I am I figure it can't be that far away. an hour later we are still trudging towards it and, of course, upopn arrival have to walk up it. My legs felt like they were dead when we got back to home base. I was staying w friends who lived there and she recommended the Catacombs at the top of her list. Was pretty cool. They ought to give everybody a skull as a souvneir. As many as they have in there they'd never be missed.:laugh2:

Have fun. Truly one of the great cities of the world. Buzzes w electricity.

Bluesky

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Dont bring any yellow clothing. Not discussing why........just trust me. :fingersx:

chazza

Reaction score
+1 on Versailles

If you are going to go up the Eiffel tower, get there early if you don't want to wait for hours.

Be careful if you are going to drive. The locals drive like idiots and more than a few don't have any insurance. (Ask me how I know)

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
Hi and thx Harmz. for pointing this thread to me. didn't see it.

First C George, when do you want to come to Paris? Any point of interrest (monuments, nature, parks, arts...?

Metro is the best way to travel around Paris, if you can walk in the steets though, it is even better. Be ready to walk either way.
Now there are little" trottinettes" see link in french below... that you can rent for 15 cents a minute. there is and app for smartphone, they are everywhere and you leave them anywhere you want, it's practical, just be sensible how you dive it on an off the street.

The food:
For the croissants and pain au chocolat, you have to ask the "boulangère" if it is made with butter or vegetable oil... Butter is what you want.

Want to eat like a Parisian? They too don't eat in gastronomic restaurant every day... One adress:
Rue Montorgueil (Metro line 3, stop at "Sentier") there are many restaurants in this street and all the side streets.
For all wallet and all taste (French, indian,3rd world cup winner in Pizza .... you name it.
If you need specific adresse I can give you that.

This is in one of the side street that started the burger "a la French" at "Big Fernand". Rue St sauveur. I Kow this one was closed last time I went there, but there are a few in Paris now. Just google it.

And please, learn first how to order a French Hamburger

Many other places though, but Rue Montorgueil is a must.

I need to get ready for work, I'll come back to you where to buy the best bread in Paris.
Let me know when your trip is due, this would be important for the little escapade outside Paris.
Totally agree with dsmc177 here...

When I was last in Paris we (my family) stayed at an apartment in Rue St Sauveur, and we dined breakfast or dinner at or from Rue Montorgueil. I say “at or from” because more often than not I ducked down to Rue Montorgueil and picked up fresh food to take back to the apartment, rather than eating at some of the many great restaurants there. Fresh bread and croissants for breakfast, fresh seafood at dinner time, charcuterie, les marchand de fruits et légumes, you name it, it was there and fantastic.

Easy walk to the metro, the Seine and the Louvre.

I can’t think of a better area of Paris in which to stay.

Cheers

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have eaten more snails in the US than I ever did living in France. In fact, I know more people here eating them than the French :laugh2: Specialty kind of thing really.

They are tasty though..mmmmmm.
Ooooohhhh they are yummy!

Curious George

Reaction score
Our biggest challenge has been in choosing a hotel... do we go by price, by area etc. Given we havent been there... might just end up with a safe pick of big chain in busy area, but i have a feeling montmarte area will be one of my faves.

Harmony

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you find yourself near the Pompidou Center, for free entertainment in the Place Georges Pompidou, you will find mime artists, jugglers and other street entertainers.

I know you are on a budget, so my advice would be work out where you want to visit and weigh up the costs. The passes are worth the money, but if some of the attractions do not appeal to you, then see how much individual costs would be for where you do want to go and see. Metro prices too.

Some places like the Louvre, you can easily spend many hours in there, especially if there are lines. Going up the Eiffel Tower, you have to get there early or book ticket in advance to save on lines.
With only a few days in Paris, you won't be able to spend a lot of time in all the places, so plan your days ahead.

And it is good to walk around Paris in some places, you really get to see the architecture, the history and ambiance of the place better.

I will be honest with you..every preference is different of course, but if you are not much of a museum person and you were short of time, I would skip inside the Louvres,

If you haven't thought about it yet, don't forget a travel adapter if you are taking anything that needs power/charging.
Different sockets/plugs/volts there.

Sharky

Reaction score
+1 on Versailles

If you are going to go up the Eiffel tower, get there early if you don't want to wait for hours.

Be careful if you are going to drive. The locals drive like idiots and more than a few don't have any insurance. (Ask me how I know)
when was this? A third party insurance is mandatory in every EU country

SixAngryStrings

Señor Member
Reaction score
I heard they eat snails there.

pass

:laugh2:
I’ve had escargot.. it was actually pretty good. Tasted like garlicy steamed oysters.. Wouldn’t eat it again though, too much weirdness now thinking about it.. (did it from a dare from my Grandma.. R.I.P. Grandma Celeste.. I miss her so much)

I dated a French chick for a minute, and, from what I gathered, if I went to France, personally, I’d visit all of the small towns and villages around, and find the best places for wine, bread, and great locally made cheese.. Paris seems like a total tourist trap.. not going to find any real culture there.

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
I love Paris, even with all the beggars.

You mentioned budget tips . . . Eat like a Parisian, find a good fromagerie and get some good cheese, cheese that you can't really find outside of France. Add a fresh-baked baguette, some fruit, and a bottle of wine and you have a cheap and perfect French meal.

Basic foods like pastries, bread, cheese, seasoned hard sausages (like salami but different, often encrusted with herbs or pepper) are all easy to find and most always fresh and delicious. Picnic in a park.

The Louvre is one of the best art museums in the world, just fantastic. I really enjoyed the L'Orangerie, a museum dedicated to (and built around) massive, curving, canvases from Monet.

I can't really help out with hotels/ neighborhoods. I got a cheap hotel and the room was small but perfectly serviceable. I really only used it for sleeping and spent most of my time out around the city.

Enjoy, it really is a beautiful and vibrant city despite its issues.

Peace

Rex

Norton

Reaction score
Latin quarter! 90% of the Music shops in Paris are on one short street within walking distance from the moulin rouge. Rue de doui ???
The record stores are really good. Really really good.

Paris is as fantastic. Rent a bike explore. Every cafe is going to be decent. Not worth worrying about. Stay away from the louvre it’s a freaking carnival. Go to the Musee d’Orsay. Amazing eye droppingly wonderful place. No crowds, no $$$ Grab.

We spent a week plus there And only met 2 people that didn’t speak English.

Curious George

Reaction score
Thanks again to all who replied the information was very very very helpful!!!

No big surprise but doesnt seem to be a huge gear town...a quick craigslist search turned up 3 musical instruments fs in paris lololol.

Last edited:

dsmcl77

Reaction score
Right, back from busy week of work that didn't give me lots of time for MLP.

I agree that Veraille is a great place to go at the time of the year you will come in Paris.
the Palace, Gardens, the Little Trianon (the queen own sheepfold). It's a big day trip.
Take the RER C (a commuting train), take it at St Michel-Notre Dame Metro sation. Make sure you take the C5 that goes to Versaille-Château.
If you're loaded, Taxis can take care of what's inside your wallet... You also can use UBER.

But really, Metro and RER are efficient and plentyful. Just like anywhere eslse in the world, beware of pickpockets. Especially if you like to have "THAT tourist look"...

If you like paintings, a unique place, a time bubble that takes you deep into the impressionists world, of if you like beauty, gardens, flower and nature, the second place to visit outside Paris is The Garden of Giverny, the House of the famous french painter MONET. Just Google it...
Go there either by trainfrom Saint Lazare train station http://giverny.org/transpor/sncfgb.htm
Or with an organised bus trip http://giverny.org/tour/

The second choice also offers a Versaille-Giverny day trip. It seems a lot for me to do in one day, but hey! I can go when I want., It's 2 hours from where I live.

For you It can be a good option to be able to see both.

Best Pastry in Paris, or should I stay in the world (yep! I am not affraid to say that...) ONE STOP ONLY
Pierre Hermé at 86 Champs Elysées

The best thing here, is that Pierre Hermé openned this shop as a joint venture with L'Occitane which is a french perfume and natural beauty product quality brand.
Bring your wife there (the second day to get the Jetlag out of the way) and she'll makes love to you like crazy, perfumed and creamed from head to toes, for the rest of the week.
You'll get the cakes, and the cherry on the cake... Dude, trust me on this.:naughty:

One of the best baguettes are at Dominique Saibron boulangerie, 77 avenue du Général Leclerc, XIVe. www.dominique-saibron.com
or, Dupain, 20 boulevard des Filles-du-Calvaire, XIe, www.dupain.paris
Great Morning pastries there too, get the brioche feuilletée aux pralines naturelles and the chausson aux pommes fraiches caramélisées, people would kill for those...

Of course in those two, many other breads to try...

An another one that has many places around Paris is: La Maison Lendemain

Lots of great old style breads there.

123 rue Monge, Ve - 26 rue des Martyrs, IXe - 56 rue de Clichy, IXe - 121 rue de Charonne, XIe - 136 rue de la Roquette, XIe - 28 boulevard Beaumarchais, XIe - 41 rue Oberkampf, XIe - 2 rue Crozatier, XIIe - Place Cambronne, XVe - 4 rue du Poteau, XVIIIe - 210 rue Pyrénées, XXe, 2 rue de la Station, Asnières-sur-Seine - 73 rue Carnot, Levallois-Perret. www.maisonlandemaine.com

I hope you do not plan a diet during this vacation time...

My Les Paul Classifieds