Heading to Paris... need some tips!

Curious George

Reaction score
Hi everyone... taking the wife to Paris as shes had a tough year and always wanted to go. I bought some guidebooks however figure there is a wealth of knowledge here as well!

Will be there 5 days and budget... well lets not even talk about it lol... i am not rich by any means, so no Michelin restaurants lol. I do have a bunch of marriott points though!

1. Best area to stay in (i see names and numbers for various areas in the guidebook)
2. Great things to do or not... open to trips outside of the city
3. Any tours to take or stay away from (we will prob do the hop on/off bus as that seems to work well to get the big picture)
4. Any cost saving tips lololol
5. And of course... any great gear or music venues!!!

Sincere thanks in advance!!!

KP11520

Reaction score
Never been, but ask if you can, where are the best food places the locals go to.

Enjoy!

We We!

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
I was there in 2005. We spent most of our time in Belleville.

For breakfast, try pain au chocolat. Any place will do.

Ride the Metro.

Tu parle francais? Oui? Non? If not, better learn some. If you try, they will work with you. If you don't bother, they won't.

Harmony

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you can, I would take a trip to Normandy. There should be day excursions from Paris. Long day but worth it.

My favorite places in Paris are Sacre Coeur and Montmartre, which is right beside it. Coble roads, quaint shops and French artists in the streets. You could even get a drawing of yourself. I still have one of me as a kid.
Even though I've been there hundreds of times, I always get that French culture feeling there, as did the many friends and family I showed around there. (I use to live in Paris).

it's been some years since I lived there and visited, so not sure where the good places to eat now.

@dsmcl77 most likely will know.

Have a fun trip! And be sure to try out some good french food. Head to a boulangerie first thing in the morning and smell and eat some fresh baguettes and pastries.

dsmcl77

Reaction score
Hi and thx Harmz. for pointing this thread to me. didn't see it.

First C George, when do you want to come to Paris? Any point of interrest (monuments, nature, parks, arts...?

Metro is the best way to travel around Paris, if you can walk in the steets though, it is even better. Be ready to walk either way.
Now there are little" trottinettes" see link in french below... that you can rent for 15 cents a minute. there is and app for smartphone, they are everywhere and you leave them anywhere you want, it's practical, just be sensible how you dive it on an off the street.

The food:
For the croissants and pain au chocolat, you have to ask the "boulangère" if it is made with butter or vegetable oil... Butter is what you want.

Want to eat like a Parisian? They too don't eat in gastronomic restaurant every day... One adress:
Rue Montorgueil (Metro line 3, stop at "Sentier") there are many restaurants in this street and all the side streets.
For all wallet and all taste (French, indian,3rd world cup winner in Pizza .... you name it.
If you need specific adresse I can give you that.

This is in one of the side street that started the burger "a la French" at "Big Fernand". Rue St sauveur. I Kow this one was closed last time I went there, but there are a few in Paris now. Just google it.

And please, learn first how to order a French Hamburger

Many other places though, but Rue Montorgueil is a must.

I need to get ready for work, I'll come back to you where to buy the best bread in Paris.
Let me know when your trip is due, this would be important for the little escapade outside Paris.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Marriott on the Champs Elysees is where I usally always stay. I have a bazillion points, so FREE trumps chic & trendy.

Louvre & Dorsey are MUST sses. I'd also point you to Notre Dame, but ,well... not this time.

We're a bit overdue for our 5 year excursion to the City of Lights, but we are going to wait until the protesters get tired of their shit. Maybe next year. This year Italy!

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
We've been to Paris many times. This is the advice I've given to friends who have never been there. I highly recommend you buy the Paris Pass. It’s a prepaid admission pass for dozens of the most well-known museums and other points of interest. I’d recommend a 3 day card – cost is $185 (165 Euro), and get 10% off with discount code 10DB. Includes Metro (subway system) and a one day Hop On-Hop Off bus tour. Check out the website. https://www.parispass.com/ To collect your Paris Pass, go to Big Bus Ticket Shop, 11 Avenue de L'Opera, 75001 Paris
Nearest Metro:
Pyramides:
Directions from Pyramides (Lines 7 & 14)
1) Exit 2 on to Rue de l'Echelle
2) Turn left at the top of the stairs
3)The collection centre is located on the right hand side. Opening hours: Monday – Sunday: 09.30 - 18.30

The most popular sites are: (most are included in Paris Pass)
I don’t know where you’re staying in Paris, so I can’t give you good directions. However, it’s easy to get around on the Metro, taxi or Uber. Also, the food is GREAT EVERYWHERE!

Curious George

Reaction score
Wow!!!!... very very very helpful guys!!!!

I appreciate it so very much. Always tough first time anywhere given it usually takes a first trip just to get the bearings...

CRobbins

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone... taking the wife to Paris as shes had a tough year and always wanted to go. I bought some guidebooks however figure there is a wealth of knowledge here as well!

Will be there 5 days and budget... well lets not even talk about it lol... i am not rich by any means, so no Michelin restaurants lol. I do have a bunch of marriott points though!

1. Best area to stay in (i see names and numbers for various areas in the guidebook)
2. Great things to do or not... open to trips outside of the city
3. Any tours to take or stay away from (we will prob do the hop on/off bus as that seems to work well to get the big picture)
4. Any cost saving tips lololol
5. And of course... any great gear or music venues!!!

Sincere thanks in advance!!!
What dates are you going? Le Tour de France starts on July 7th....

Curious George

Reaction score
What dates are you going? Le Tour de France starts on July 7th....
Yeah no crossover given we will be Paris only and nowhere near. I see where you are going though... an MLP race team with guitars on our backs and rocking the local pubs each night!