Head Output and Cab Input Questions

bullnose

Reaction score
I have a Dirty Shirley Mini head inbound this week. The rear outputs look like this:

friedman-mini-dirty-shirley-ds-20_01xxl.jpg

I am going to use it with my Peavey 212c Cabinet, which has left and right inputs. It is switchable between 16 ohms mono and 8 ohms stereo.

Here are the questions -

If I go with the 16 ohms out on the head into the cab at 16 ohms mono, are both speakers on?

If I plug into the cab for 8 ohms stereo, do I need to have two cords going out, one into the left and right cab inputs for stereo operation? If so, which head outputs do I use - left (marked 8 ohm, with line connected to 16 ohm right output), middle (8 ohm output), or right (16 ohm output with line connected to left 8 ohm output)?

If not (one output/cord into the cab at 8 ohms for stereo operation), I assume I use the middle 8 ohms output pictured above, correct?

Thanks in advance, I'm new to the whole head/cabinet thing and feel like I'm 14 years old again (in a good way) and futzing my way through new gear.

El Pablo

Reaction score
Fantastic AMP! Congrats.

I would run 16 ohm out of head to 16 ohm mono speaker cab. I may be wrong, but I do not believe that a stereo split from your amp is an option. Thetefore, the stereo option on the cab would not apply. If im wrong, im happy to be educated.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Yes on the above. I just checked the manual and it said that you can only use 1 8 ohm cab or 1 16 ohm cab.

But you can use 2 16 ohm cabs hooked into the 2 8 ohm jacks with separate cables. This would result in 8 ohms inside the amp and it will be happy.

Hope this helps.

But no using 2 8 ohm cabs.

Latest Threads