Reaction score

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A lot said in this thread that I could comment on, but I'll just focus on this. I've thought about this for years, and reminds me of the "best version of myself" and "accept myself" and "love myself for who I am" type of mantras. I do think that we should strive to love ourselves, but that doesn't mean loving ourselves or accepting ourselves with no regard to our flaws. It should mean taking a good, long look at ourselves, seeing the good and the bad, and striving to be the kind of person that we want to love, striving to be the kind of person that we can be proud of being. Too often it seems like this mindset just means that people don't actually try to improve themselves or admit their character flaws, it goes from "this is the way I am and I'm worthy of love and acceptance" to "this is just the way I am and I'm not going to change so deal with it."

I have a strong background in religion that I rarely bring up, but it reminds me of some of the good aspects of Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity that most other religions have forgotten about: Confession. I don't entirely agree with all of the religious aspects anymore, but there is a venue for admitting/confessing mistakes and striving to be a better person and asking for forgiveness. It doesn't have to be confessing that you just killed a man or robbed a bank, for most people it's admitting the little faults, the times you lost your temper with your kids, the times you were an ass to your wife, the time you didn't stand up for someone else because you didn't want your boss to get mad at you, etc. Admit the fault and learn how your actions affect the people that you love, and ask them for forgiveness (and God as well, but that's not my point here). It just seems to me that most people took the idea of "the individual" more "how can I be a better person?" and not "accept myself how I am already.". Over a long period of time that adds up to a huge difference.
For some of us, who grew up in a "nothing will ever be good enough" thing, learning to accept ourselves and be a little selfish is good advice. Within reason.

HOWEVER, that does not mean you get to feel entitled to anything at all that you didn't earn. It doesn't mean you or I are perfect (well I am). I'm all for helping the truly helpless. But at the same time, those that could take care of themselves and choose not to, can starve.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
1659832171742.png

Fiat Lux

Reaction score

Gfunk_Minor

Ooooops
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey..... This could have been Brazilian Street Justice.
Just tun the MF'r over.

Latest Threads