Have you sanded your knobs lately?

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a cheap Gretsch with a long name: G2210 Streamliner Junior Jet™ Club And it came with clear knobs with black paint on the bottom and into the splines. So, naturally, the knobs appear black. Yeesh. I saw a photo of a vintage clear acrylic '52 Gretsch knob and decided I wanted those.

It takes a while to sand that paint off, and I had to use a tiny screwdriver to remove the paint from the splines, but I got most of it off. I'll have to find a way to polish the bottoms. The original knob attaches like a Tele knob, but drilling and tapping for a screw is too far... plus I'd have to ream out the holes, and change the pots to 1/4" smooth shaft. It's a $400 guitar.

Pics!

circusinthesky

Reaction score
Black in the center could look good, too. Especially since the pot shaft will appear to have some color.

In any case, nice work!

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
Black in the center could look good, too. Especially since the pot shaft will appear to have some color.

In any case, nice work!
Thanks! I might put a tiny piece of aluminum tape on the end of the pot shaft. A dab of the body color paint or something close would work, too.

dspelman

Reaction score
Too much work for me. Good thing I bought the cheap Gretsch with the chrome knobs.

GammyBird

Reaction score
Not those knobs but I was totally mislead by the title of this thread.

Latest Threads