Have you ever sold a Les Paul and then bought it again?

leofender55

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has a story about selling a Les Paul and then buying it a second time (or more). my apologies if this has been posted previously.

Here's mine: I found this like new 2002 Les Paul on the Sacramento, CA Craigslist real early one morning when I couldn't sleep. The seller listed it for $1,000 and I thought it might be a studio. It was 5AM and since the guy posted it that early I called him. He bought it at GC on a whim and he only plays acoustic in church. He kept it for 15 years in a closet and played it a few times. He didn't even own an amp. He wanted it to go to a good home. Sold!

Two years later I traded it to a friend for an Eric Johnson Strat and a rare Fargen amp. I ended up not caring for the EJ Strat (sticky neck syndrome) and sold it for $1K. Kept the Fargen (my 4th). Then about a year later my buddy offers me the Les Paul for $1600. Sold again!

Although I've been spoiled by my G0 and my '60 Reissue, this LP is a great guitar and it's not leaving again.
IMG_2056.JPG

ryanmichael95

Reaction score
I sold a 2007 Explorer that I wish I wouldn’t have. If it came up for sale and I knew it, I’d be all over it.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Reverse story:

I eventually met by accident a guy who traded his "bought new" Les Paul for a Drum kit.
He told me the story of how he was still mourning it.
Had chosen it not for the color but for the feel and tone.
So I asked him: "Was it at that store on that street that you traded it in?"
His eyes went wide open. "Yes", he said.
-"I bought your guitar, man. Seller said it was a trade-in for a drum kit and he was
willing to make a quick deal because the store owner was waiting for the sale of the guitar
to pay his commission on the Drum Kit!"
-"Was the G tuner shaft crooked? I kind of dropped the guitar once."
-"Yes, I replaced the shaft and all is good".
-"Wow Man! Do you want to sell it?"
-"Sorry Man, that guitar stays with me."
But I took his phone number, just to make him feel good.

Left Paw

Reaction score
Traded.... Sometimes more than once. Its good to have guitar buddies.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
I picked up an '08 Gibson Tobacco Burst Les Paul Standard Plus a few years ago for $850 on CL.

I liked the guitar a lot and I REALLY liked the weight since it was chambered.

Well when I stumbled upon my '63 Gibson ES-330 W/ Bigsby at a pawnshop about 4 yrs. ago, I had to move it and and a few other guitars to be able to buy the 330.

I really regretted letting that '08 go,and vowed I'd buy another if I could ever find another at a killer price.

Well a few months ago, I stumbled upon an '08 Gibson Wind Red Les Paul Standard Plus that I picked up in a pawnshop for $825.

This guitar will NEVER go anywhere and will stay part of my guitar collection.

I won't make that mistake again.

leofender55

Reaction score
I picked up an '08 Gibson Tobacco Burst Les Paul Standard Plus a few years ago for $850 on CL.

I liked the guitar a lot and I REALLY liked the weight since it was chambered.

Well when I stumbled upon my '63 Gibson ES-330 W/ Bigsby at a pawnshop about 4 yrs. ago, I had to move it and and a few other guitars to be able to buy the 330.

I really regretted letting that '08 go,and vowed I'd buy another if I could ever find another at a killer price.

Well a few months ago, I stumbled upon an '08 Gibson Wind Red Les Paul Standard Plus that I picked up in a pawnshop for $825.

This guitar will NEVER go anywhere and will stay part of my guitar collection.

I won't make that mistake again.
Nice story there. Funny you should mention the ES-330. A couple of months back I bought a Memphis Figured ES-330 on an impulse buy. I don't buy guitars on line without trying them out, but the seller guaranteed a full refund, so I jumped on it. I've owned several 335's over the years but the 330 was under my radar. I have to say that this guitar is fantastic and like your LP, it is NEVER going anywhere but with me.
ES-330.JPG

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
I have done with a cheap copy of a Gibson ES150DC. Sold it and then bought it back off the guy 7 or 8 years later!

Burny FLG

Reaction score
My old Burny FLG is for sale at my brothers guitar shop. I bought it from a Ukraine seller on reverb. When I got it the neck had a stress fracture - nothing major but I never gelled with it. Sold it to a trader who sold it the swap shop. The buyer is a Melbourne musician who's played with a few of the old guard. He didn't gel with it either obviously. Bro said guess what's came in to the shop? He's fixing my princeton so was in on Friday night and there it was. The description on the website makes it sound good. Maybe it's better now.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
Nice story there. Funny you should mention the ES-330. A couple of months back I bought a Memphis Figured ES-330 on an impulse buy. I don't buy guitars on line without trying them out, but the seller guaranteed a full refund, so I jumped on it. I've owned several 335's over the years but the 330 was under my radar. I have to say that this guitar is fantastic and like your LP, it is NEVER going anywhere but with me.
View attachment 316304
That's a killer looking guitar you've got there LF55.

Here's the '63 330 I picked up by sacrificing my 1st '08 Gibson LP Standard .

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
I didn't have to be Red, it just turned out to be another red one.

I didn't search these out, but instead stumbled on them.

The middle '70 335 was a barter with one of my customers.

The '83 Dot on the right was also a great pawnshop score.

It just so happens that all of these killer scores happened to be Red.

leofender55

Reaction score
You're making Sammy Hagar jealous. Some of my best guitars are ones I stumbled upon or they fell into my lap unexpectedly. My buddy owns a music store in our small town and he'll call me and say; "Come on down to the store, something just walked in that you want". That's how I got my Black Beauty LP that the Scorpions gave to their tour manager a long time ago and he never played it.

fleahead

Reaction score
I sold Brownie, a '95 Custom Shop Classic AAAA quilt in Root Beer to a friend, was able to buy it back, then had to sell it years later and lost it forever. I hope one day to find it again.

MSB

Reaction score
I didn't have to be Red, it just turned out to be another red one.

I didn't search these out, but instead stumbled on them.

The middle '70 335 was a barter with one of my customers.

The '83 Dot on the right was also a great pawnshop score.

It just so happens that all of these killer scores happened to be Red.

LOL, you don't "stumble" on these. You're obviously putting in work and it shows, such a great collection, and there is nothing wrong with red.

dspelman

Reaction score
Have you ever sold a Les Paul and then bought it again?

Oh HELL no.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
LOL, you don't "stumble" on these. You're obviously putting in work and it shows, such a great collection, and there is nothing wrong with red.
You're right, I do put in the time to find killer deals at pawnshops.

What I meant was that I don't go looking for specific guitars in mind when I go pawnshop hunting of looking on CL.

I'm really just looking for a killer quality guitar for an amazing price.

It just so happens that all the of these guitars that were acquired for great prices, just happened to be Red ES guitars.

Last edited:

Latest Threads