Have you ever played a 12 string?

Have you ever played a 12 string guitar?

• No, but I’d like to

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • No, why bother?

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • No, I can barely deal with 6 strings

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I thought they stopped at 7?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, electric only

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Yes, acoustic only

Votes: 43 41.0%
  • Yes, acoustic and electric

Votes: 34 32.4%
  • Bewbs

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • I like cheesecake

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • I own at least one - 12 string

Votes: 34 32.4%

• Total voters

THDNUT

Reaction score
It's not that bright and jangly, my god man it's a friggin' JUMBO!

My D12-28 was midrangey.

I liked the Martin and would have kept both except for a bad neck reset that was done locally that Efffed it up.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
It's not that bright and jangly, my god man it's a friggin' JUMBO!

My D12-28 was midrangey.

I liked the Martin and would have kept both except for a bad neck reset that was done locally that Efffed it up.
Doesn't the maple make it substantially brighter? I had a brief go at a Guild 6 string spruce / maple Dreadnought years ago with old strings and it was still bright.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Doesn't the maple make it substantially brighter? I had a brief go at a Guild 6 string spruce / maple Dreadnought years ago with old strings and it was still bright.
The Takamine 12er I referenced upthread was a maple jumbo-style (solid top, laminate back/sides). I was pleasantly surprised by its warmth, especially considering it was a 12er. But the low freqs had this beautiful creaminess to them, hard to describe, and nothing like what I'd imagined before I played it.

THDNUT

Reaction score

It is brighter than the JF-55-12 (rosewood bodied counterpart), but still has some bass.

I think they call the models F-412 and F-512 now.

Rds

Reaction score
78 Ibanez j200 copy 12 string. Mahogany back sides spruce top. Action horrible, sound amazing! And Taylor 12 string sable I think. Sounds great too.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
I have a really Fender VII, the one with the hockey-stick headstock. It's a '66, and I only paid $400 for it many years ago. I used it onstage for Byrds stuff and the like, tuning live is a bitch, though. It needs the nut recut, something I do not want to attempt myself. It is exactly like the one that Pete Townsend is shown using in the early days in pictures of the Who. Jimmy Page used one in the studio for "Stairway", but got the Gibson double neck to use on stage, so he could do the solos live as well as the 12-string parts. I love it, but it does need some getting used to.

Also have a nice Washburn dreadnought 12, I got it really cheap new when they were clearance-ing them out at an online store, plus I had a discount coupon. I am contemplating either putting lighter gauge strings on it, or doing the step-down with a capo thing (I believe Roger McGuinn does that on his Rick). I play it occasionally, but it does take more effort than a regular 6-string. I love the 12-string sounds, old Beatles, Byrds, and Petty stuff.

Al

JonCanfield

#NotMe
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jealous. Always wanted one of these, and this is the best color in my mind

dspelman

Reaction score
I have a '67 Gibson ES-335-12. It was my first guitar, still have it.
Also have an early Taylor 12.

The Gibson has just six saddles (nylon) rather than 12 like the Rick. Not particularly well intonated, but with all that jangle going on, no one's really noticed. I use .008s, and the neck's been perfect forever. Can't say the same for the case, whose thread rotted away a couple of years ago (it's a chipboard case, all original). I'm still looking for a good hard case for it.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
No, nothing sounds like a Rickenbacker 12 string. A wonderful guitar. As I said before, I often play a 1981 Carvin DC 120 12. The first one they ever made. With its coil split and phase switches, one can make it sound somewhat like a Rick. But it can be set up (with the right amp) to play hard classic rock, and even metal -- and even for doing a bit of jazz! For anybody doing a solo act, or even one with a bass and drum (three piece) , the use of a 12 fills in a lot of gaps. My 12 electric is as easy to play as any of my 6 strings, except bends are harder, of course. Blues playing on them is rather instinctive, as much original blues was played on 12s. And anything you can play on a 6 st electric you can also play on a well set up 12 st electric, except it will distinguish your band from all the others you are competing with.

Telechamp

Reaction score
What the hell is that??
Stunning
Thanks, yeah, it's a beautiful guitar. It's a Rickenbacker 360/12 in Fireglo. Got a great deal on it off Craigslist. Virtually brand new. It was set up perfectly from the previous owner. Plays and sounds fantastic.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Just snagged this Ric 360/12 off CL for a great price. Nothing sounds quite like a Rickenbacker 12.

Gorgeous! I've never had the opportunity to have a go at one.

String changes on that head stock look - challenging? Annoying. I do love the short headstock look a lot.

My Les Paul Classifieds