Have you ever dreamed about someone who died

archey

Reaction score
I lost my grandmother a couple of years back. We were very close. She helped raise my brothers and I. I was out of state on vacation when she passed, and I felt a lot of guilt about not being there when she died.

I don't remember exactly how many days after she passed (I believe it was two days) I had a dream. I dreamt that I was at her house. In life she wasn't able to drive a car for the last few years of her life due to macular degeneration. It really bummed her out. But while she was still able to drive she would keep her purse and keys next to the front door on a chair.

All that to say that in the dream I was standing beside that chair next to the front door. She was there and was grabbing her purse and keys. She told me that she had to go, but she was waiting to take "her". I don't know who she was referring to, and i didn't ask in the dream. But as she was leaving she gave me a kiss on my cheek and told me that she loved me. Then i awoke.

I woke up in tears. My wife immediately asked what was wrong. I told her what happened in the dream. The dream felt very real, more real than any dream that I can recall having. It left me a with a sense of peace.

I'm not trying to say that this was anything more than a dream, but I don't discount the experience either. I'm pretty open minded when it comes to the possibility of an afterlife. I just wanted to share the experience, and also see if anyone else has had anything similar happen to them.

Fracture

Reaction score
I lost a very close friend in a tragic fall in '82 - due to school / work obligations and
significant distance I was unable to to attend the services

For about 13 years I had dreams that he was still alive, most with the same theme
I'd be at a party and see him pass thru a hall or from room to room and it would take a
bit for me to catch up to him
those dreams always ended the same way, it was a big practical joke that he had died

It wasn't until 1995 or so that I visited his grave which had been relocated to Stevens
Point, WI

I guess that's what they call closure

sonar1

Reaction score
I had dream visitations from our late son, and my late wife for months after they each passed.
Nowadays I’ll have dreams where my wife is present, sometimes our son, but it’s just life images like it used to be.

I used to wake up and be crushed. But now it’s just a semi-regular occurrence and no longer shocks me. Just my brain doing what it does.

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
Checkin in.
My dad did the same.
The specifics of his visit cannot be explained in any other way. No way I would have ever dreamed that dream.

Now they appear in cameo roles, but always in the background

six-string

Reaction score
they say...dreams are basically memory consolidation.
your brain replays and resorts things that have actually happened in your life over and over.
it also distorts those memories to what you wish it might have been or feared it might have been or whatever.
sometimes dreams can be very visceral and people describe not just seeing and hearing, but touching and feeling, smelling, tasting things in their dreams in vivid detail.

of course we all deal with death and the loss of loved ones in different ways.
i have heard many friends, family and others tell of dreaming of those who are no longer living.

sonar1

Reaction score
sometimes dreams can be very visceral and people describe not just seeing and hearing, but touching and feeling, smelling, tasting things in their dreams in vivid detail.
After our grown son died from lymphoma, I had a very compelling dream where we hugged. I felt him!
I woke up and was devastated of how cruel that experience was.

Fortunately my brain hasn’t done that to me again, though some dreams are more vivid than others.

PapaSquash

Reaction score
I lost my dad just before the Covid lock-downs and I have had a couple of very moving dreams that he was still here and had things to share with me.

One in particular was very comforting. It was sad but it was full of love. I'm enormously grateful that I got to say goodbye in January

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just realized reading this, next week is 30 years for me. That dream is as vivid today as then. More of a clip than a dream. Whole thing’s less than a minute.

electric head

Just passing thru
Premium Member
Reaction score
My dad died when I was 12 in 1971 and I was the youngest and very close to my dad.
At that time he was certainly my hero.
At the funeral even at 12 I was wondering why everyone was crying and yet I could produce no tears.
My mother was given his flag at the funeral and for some reason I was handed his Vietnam service medal and a Good conduct medal??
I think about him at least once a day but never have dreamed about him that I know of.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Just once maybe 15 years ago. My parents were returning from Europe and I had a really bad feeling the day before that the plane would go down. That night, my deceased grandparents (dad's side) told me everything would be OK. My granddad lost his vision later on in life, some accident, and he was wearing glasses in the dream.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've had the same dream about my father two or three times. It's pretty strange actually, and quite unnerving.

Just the two of us are in something akin to a DC3 with my father piloting. We thirty feet or so off the ground flying across the country side struggling and unable to gain altitude. Skimming power lines and tree tops. I'm freaking out and he's doing his best to keep us airborne. Then I awake. Always the same.

freak

Reaction score
I've had the same dream about my father two or three times. It's pretty strange actually, and quite unnerving.

Just the two of us are in something akin to a DC3 with my father piloting. We thirty feet or so off the ground flying across the country side struggling and unable to gain altitude. Skimming power lines and tree tops. I'm freaking out and he's doing his best to keep us airborne. Then I awake. Always the same.
You need to google that. There has to be a meaning in there.

Latest Threads