Have to choose: Standard 2008 or Traditional?

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
The way I look at it, you're deciding between two VERY different LP's. Until a few days ago I owned both an 08 Standard and a 2011 Traditional. The Standard is chambered, so it's nice and light and easy for me to play sitting down. The thinner neck profile is more to my liking as well. The Traditional was the complete opposite. I just couldn't bond with it because of the heaviness. The fatter neck I could deal with, but the heaviness of the body was a deal-breaker. I swear that thing weighed at LEAST 13 pounds.

But some guys love the heavy bodies and the baseball bat necks. So ultimately, you're getting the answer that pretty much everybody else is going to give you. Try them both before buying.

LPV

Reaction score
I agree.

...but only if you want the Traditional style bigger 50's neck. If you like the asymmetrical and thinner Standard neck, then you might find a Trad or R8 to have a fatter neck that you are comfortable with. If you've not played them yourself, nobody is going to be able to explain the difference in how it will feel to you online. Only you can know that. Are there any music shops or friends near you that have some you can try?

Yep. I have an '08 std. Incredible guitar no matter how much it gets slammed here. But when I bought it I wanted chambering and the asym neck. But between my R8 and a Trad. Sorry no contest. I don't know how much he is paying but there have been allot of R8's selling used for what a traditional used to cost. But I have to say I can't believe how cheap I have seen new trads for in the stores locally as well. $300 cheaper than they used to be.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I had a Trad that I got new at a steal of a deal from a former co-worker. I'd not buy one new though. ...in fact I sold it for another Reissue. :D

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad you can't actually play them. Too bad.

I've read multiple threads about Trad vs Standard and
I think it's pretty even.

This could be a long range plan though. Just buy one
on instinct and if you don't like it after, say a year or so,
sell it and buy the other one.

I've known people who trade out guitars practically every year.

Eeeny Meany Minny Moe...just pick the one that looks good to you.

Good luck. It will be a fun adventure.

HRC

Reaction score
I'd take a Traditional Plus over a new Standard.

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new 2012 Standard is a whole different animal than the 2008.
Amazing that it is not on the Gibson web site yet...
so need to go to MF site for details...less than a new 2008.
Offer them 20% less.
Gibson 2012 Les Paul Standard Electric Guitar | GuitarCenter

2 Coil tapping Burstbucker Pros
2 push/pull tone controls
60s slim taper neck
Swiss cheese weight relief
AAA flame
11 finsihes

Kalz

Reaction score
i'm in love with my 06 standard so i say get that :)

Falconbill

Reaction score
Try the 2008 to see if you like the neck. It is subtle, but different. I actually had a used Trad and used '08 Standard at the same GC and tried them both. I didn't like how that particular Trad played. I had never played a 2008 neck, and really liked it, and ended up buying that guitar. I also liked the lighter chambered body. I changed out the Burstbuckers (and went with a lower output vintage pair of PUs) and had 50s wiring installed and the instrument just came alive sound-wise for me. Incredible. The sustain is ridiculous. But I bought the 08 Standard because I just liked how the neck felt and how it played. I knew I could change out the electronics . . . 50s wiring makes any LP sound better and more versatile, IMO.

The main thing is how it fits your hand and feels to play. I had been to 3 different GCs that day and tried 6 different used LPs before finding THE ONE.

SoManyGuitars

Reaction score
The new 2012 Standard is a whole different animal than the 2008.
Amazing that it is not on the Gibson web site yet...
so need to go to MF site for details...less than a new 2008.
Offer them 20% less.
Gibson 2012 Les Paul Standard Electric Guitar | GuitarCenter

2 Coil tapping Burstbucker Pros
2 push/pull tone controls
60s slim taper neck
Swiss cheese weight relief
AAA flame
11 finsihes

Not Swiss Cheese... from the website...

" Also, new “modern” weight relieving is carefully applied inside the mahogany back to provide outstanding balance while optimizing the sonic capabilities of the guitar."

Whatever the hell that means! :lol:

Falconbill

Reaction score
Not Swiss Cheese... from the website...

" Also, new “modern” weight relieving is carefully applied inside the mahogany back to provide outstanding balance while optimizing the sonic capabilities of the guitar."

Whatever the hell that means! :lol:
Well, my 2008 LP actually is neck heavy when strapped up. How's that for a LP? Unreal. That's the never mentioned downside of chambering. Sling it and it's easier on the back but you're left hand has to do the heavy lifting. I find it is kinda unbalanced, as it tends to drop down on the neck. For a LP, that's weird.

tAdA

Reaction score
Maybe I live in a different part of the world than y'all but where can I buy a used R8 for the same price as a new Trad? I would pay close to $1,000 more for a used R8 than a Trad, either I don't know where to look for a used R8 or most pay list price for a std or trad.

If these are new guitars you really should consider a used R8 instead. Really.

elche

Reaction score
Too bad you can't actually play them. Too bad.

....Just buy one on instinct and if you don't like it after, say a year or so, sell it and buy the other one.

Eeeny Meany Minny Moe...just pick the one that looks good to you.

Good luck. It will be a fun adventure.

Thanks, you get it... unfortunately I've no guitar shops like GC or Sam Ash in the range of 3-400 km, so it's not easy to play the two models to help me in the decision.

I'll follow my instinct that, at the moment, tell me Traditional...!!! :naughty:

The prices I can get them are 1600$ for the Ice Tea 2008 Standard (bought in 2009) and 1750$ for the Honeyburst Traditional (bought in January 2012 and just as new), so no comparison with used R8 prices here in this corner of the world!!!

Let's say that I like heavy guitars with a thick, dark and heavy sound, so I guess Traditional it's closer to my taste.

Will it sound close to this??? :laugh2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhuzxA_Knd8&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Joe Bonamassa "Further On Up The Road" BBC London 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

Rock City

Reaction score
Well, my 2008 LP actually is neck heavy when strapped up. How's that for a LP? Unreal. That's the never mentioned downside of chambering. Sling it and it's easier on the back but you're left hand has to do the heavy lifting. I find it is kinda unbalanced, as it tends to drop down on the neck. For a LP, that's weird.

That should not happen considering hardware in the body. Iron and pickups usually are heavy almost as the neck itself. IMHO :)

Kolera

Reaction score

I have a chambered Standard. This is not a problem at all with mine. Very well balanced.

Backstage

Reaction score
I am extremely loth to buy a guitar "blind", so go for the Standard if you are fine with her.

BoogieMan_SC

Reaction score
I have a chambered Standard. This is not a problem at all with mine. Very well balanced.

Yes, same here...never experienced that either and I've tried quite a few post-08 standards. Mine actually weighs 8.3 lbs, heavier than some VOS's. I think you just have to try one out to find one to your liking if at all possible, as others have mentioned. I happen to like the Standard neck and sound better than the Trad, but everyone's taste is different.

LPV

Reaction score
My '08 is just under 7lbs and yes it is neck heavy vs my 9.2lb historic but I never even notice it anymore. My playing style has evolved around it.

Latest Threads