Have to choose: Standard 2008 or Traditional?

elche

Reaction score
I have to choose between two used guitars: one 2012 Traditional Honeyburst and one 2009 Standard Ice Tea. Price difference, 100 euro more for the Traditional.

Colours are my favourite ones, Trad is a tear drop burst, Standard is a rimburst.

What I like in Traditional: should be really brand new, it weighs more :naughty:, it has 57 Classic, doesn't have the PCB in the cavity...:slash:

What I like in Standard: asymmetric neck could be more comfortable, long tenon is a nice feature (that can't be added on Trad...), it comes w/o a PG, I could pick it by person (the Trad should be shipped).

Help me choose...:hmm:

LesAdrian

Reaction score
Buy the new 2012 Les Paul Standard:thumb:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19OhSWuXePw]New Gibson Les Paul Standard @ Musikmesse 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
The asymetrical necks are not all the same. Play the one that you are thinking of getting and see what you think. I found some comfortable, and some not so. But, during my search, the Trad came out available with P-90s. The search was over.

Malchik

Reaction score
I really like the 2008, but I'd wait until the 2012s come out.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
This is ALL about neck preference.

Forget the PCB issue, don't buy a $2K guitar based on the $45 worth of electronics in it. You can swap out the electronics with anything you want for $50-200. How much do you think it will cost to swap the neck?

bdubbs

Reaction score
I went to buy a standard and bought a traditional after playing a few different models.

winexprt

Reaction score
Traditional. All. Day. Long.

Just to make sure, you understand the 2009 Standard is chambered, right?

JMB1984

Reaction score
I recommend you do not buy the 2008 Standard until you have a chance to try out the asymentrical neck. It is a love or hate feature. I tried several times to like the 2008 standard, but the neck actually cramps my hand badly so it was a deal breaker for me.

As said above, consider the new standard coming out this year for 2012. It is actually slightly cheaper than the 2008 std and has a 60's neck.

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score
I'm old school traditional all the way. I don't care for the asymmetrical neck, the chambered body, the PCB board, and the neutrik locking output jack.

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pick the one that feels and plays right for you.

All that matters.

elche

Reaction score
I will not have the opportunity to play a Traditional before I buy it because it's far from here and there are no shops around here, btw the price is inviting so I think I'll take the risk...

Just to understand something more about the 50's neck size, I own two Epiphone Les Paul, a 1960 Tribute and a Standard Plus Top (left and right in the picture below). How does the 50's neck compare to these models?

357j6tj.jpg

LuisPaul

Reaction score
Have you tried both of them out?
I mean, if you like looks go for the one wich suits best to your taste, but if not, then leave it to your ears and hands to determine.
I personally would go for the traditional, as the weight is a factor to the sound I like. The Traditional's neck profile is great for my hand too, but if you like the assymetrical neck from the standard, go for it.

LPV

Reaction score
If these are new guitars you really should consider a used R8 instead. Really.

bdubbs

Reaction score
Or do what I did and get the GC exclusive trad + with bb1 and bb2 w/ coil tap :p

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
If these are new guitars you really should consider a used R8 instead. Really.

I agree.

...but only if you want the Traditional style bigger 50's neck. If you like the asymmetrical and thinner Standard neck, then you might find a Trad or R8 to have a fatter neck that you are comfortable with. If you've not played them yourself, nobody is going to be able to explain the difference in how it will feel to you online. Only you can know that. Are there any music shops or friends near you that have some you can try?

Latest Threads