Have I Ruined My Guitar?

ThinLizzy789

Reaction score
See my new pics I tried but will do them the right way next time and may consider making the nut grooves slighter bigger If I can.....it may help the tuning more

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
See my new pics I tried but will do them the right way next time and may consider making the nut grooves slighter bigger If I can.....it may help the tuning more
If you're not gonna make a career out of filing nut slots, you can do some pretty good work for cheap with a torch tip cleaner like this:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/US-Forge-Welding-Cleaner-00802/dp/B000UVR0NO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434214225&sr=8-2&keywords=torch+tip+cleaners]US Forge Welding Tip Cleaner #00802 - Torch Tip Cleaner - Amazon.com[/ame]

Parasite68

Reaction score
Big Bends Nut Sauce - The only thing you ever need to lube the nut.

Sounds hilarious, but it's true. Get some, use it, wind the strings like the video & pretty much eliminate tuning issues.

Regular store bought lemon oil is perfect & has served me well for years. Apply sparingly.

I asked my local drug store for nut sauce and they gave me a tube of gold bond!:D

Fuelish

Reaction score
I asked my local drug store for nut sauce and they gave me a tube of gold bond!:D
I asked my Kroger pharmacist for nut sauce and they sold me Kroger brand personal lubricant..."recommended by our Kroger pharmacists" right on the label....so I asked "which one of y'all recommended it???" ....<crickets chirping>

ThinLizzy789

Reaction score
Not really sure how to do it.......I'd have to be careful not to overdo it.I hear once it's too deep you need a new nut. Actually that could be a new subject "nuts".
A friend bought an Earvana nut and says he never tunes his Telecaster now!
Others prefer 'Graphtec' graphite self Lubing nuts!

Frankg11

Reaction score
Pics of the Headstock strung up, and the Bridge and Saddles and Neck would help.

A pic of the nut would help everyone as well.

Most are just guessing.

If every guitar doesn't hold tune it's more than likely that your stringing technique can be improved in some subtle fashion.

P.S. I have a Gibby that pings on the G B and E strings. The nut has lube (Tried all types) and I am even using 9's. It stays in tune even if it pings. I know I need to work on the nut, the only problem is the nut holding the tool.

DrBGood

Reaction score
There is much wizardry in a lot of the answers above. Magic nut sauce, special powdered graphite tube, exotic string material, locking tuners. etc. When all you need is good string wrapping technique, well kept regular tuners, a well cut nut and sharpened 6B pencil. You can spend big $$$ in music stores, they'll love you. Or you can spend pennies at your local hardware store or even Walmart, and get the same stable tuning result.

Your choice.

By the way, can't seem to find your pictures in this thread. Are they posted somewhere else ?

dspelman

Reaction score
I use mayonnaise - Duke's when I can find it.

Cheese Whiz. Wipe it on liberally and leave it.

And then run like hell.

Because whoever's guitar you put that on is gonna be hunting you.

cheez+whiz.png

Latest Threads