Have I Ruined My Guitar?

Fuelish

Reaction score
Better than the "pencil lead in nut slots" suggestions, buy a small plastic vial of powdered graphite (same as pencil lead, for all intents and purposes) - it's like the size of a very small eyedrops bottle, and it'll last you many many many years.... and far easier to use than shaving pencils :)
Also, yeah, I'd be looking at how you wind the strings, as conditioning the fretboard won't affect tuning, unless maybe you did something crazy drastic like immerse the whole neck in a vat of oil for a few days, or something :)

Tenacious T

Reaction score
Big Bends Nut Sauce - The only thing you ever need to lube the nut.

Sounds hilarious, but it's true. Get some, use it, wind the strings like the video & pretty much eliminate tuning issues.

Regular store bought lemon oil is perfect & has served me well for years. Apply sparingly.

ThinLizzy789

Reaction score
Just get some locking tuners. This will eliminate any string slip. other than that maybe try getting a local GC or some such to help you do a restring. You may learn something that will help.

Hi my LP is the same model you have so has locking tuners.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Tuning issues that crop up usually let you know it's time to change strings. And then stretch the new ones properly.

ThinLizzy789

Reaction score
Big Bends Nut Sauce - The only thing you ever need to lube the nut.

Sounds hilarious, but it's true. Get some, use it, wind the strings like the video & pretty much eliminate tuning issues.

Regular store bought lemon oil is perfect & has served me well for years. Apply sparingly.

Hi T I bought some nut sauce and studying the video thanks much

ThinLizzy789

Reaction score
I'd like to thank you all for your sound and in some cases video advice and of course your patience with my silly questions and oil adventures Now I know what to do and what not to do! ��

kevinpaul

Reaction score
For real new guitars I put lemon oil on the fret board offten . They are dry because no one played them and no oil from any ones paws. I get the lemon oil for any grocery store in the furniture polish section. The people that make it get it from the chemical exit in New Jersey.
I use pure nickel strings from out good friends at EBs slinky. They last a long time if you wipe them off when you are done. Take all the strings off and clean the fret board every three months. I do the Z string method but only have one or two wraps. I check tuning before I play, temperature changes can effect guitars in a few ways. Some day tell how you crashed all them guitars. I need stuff to tell my cats.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Well let's see......I'm no expert but it gets on your hands and fingers and maybe some of it gets into the strings.

:facepalm:

Everyone else has been nice so far :dunno:

I was being nice - there is no way that oil on a fretboard can affect tuning. And as others have pointed out, if you are having the problem in multiple guitars it is down to your method of stringing them.

MyLeftyPaul

The Islander
Reaction score
Care to post how your head and bridge look like right now? Just interested to see how you did your re-string.

ThinLizzy789

Reaction score
For real new guitars I put lemon oil on the fret board offten . They are dry because no one played them and no oil from any ones paws. I get the lemon oil for any grocery store in the furniture polish section. The people that make it get it from the chemical exit in New Jersey.
I use pure nickel strings from out good friends at EBs slinky. They last a long time if you wipe them off when you are done. Take all the strings off and clean the fret board every three months. I do the Z string method but only have one or two wraps. I check tuning before I play, temperature changes can effect guitars in a few ways. Some day tell how you crashed all them guitars. I need stuff to tell my cats.

So I'm a 'Guitar Crasher' eh? lol maybe I should be a 'Guitar Killer' ,I killed them out love fussing over them way TOO MUCH; What a knob I can be lol but at least I can laugh about it unless of course my neck snaps off due to being too moist LOL :laugh2:

ThinLizzy789

Reaction score
Hey man when you say I crashed all them guitars do you mean how I continually put them ALL outta tune?

I am gonna get a bad rep around here lol!

SGeoff

Reaction score
Hey man when you say I crashed all them guitars do you mean how I continually put them ALL outta tune?

I am gonna get a bad rep around here lol!
you have been forged and tempered in the fire that is MLP. You have been molded and shaped into a guitar weapon. Now, restring and go forth.
We will be waiting here when its new amp time:thumb:

cnemitz22

Reaction score
Most of my tuning issues have come from the nut slots not being clean or wide enough. The string catches in the slots. I've bought new expensive tuning keys and nut sauce and on and on. I watched some youtube vids of properly cutting nuts slots and gave it a try. A world of difference. So, every guitar i own, I have reworked he nut slots and/or installed a Tusq nut. I still put pencil graphite in the slots, because, yes it does help. As far as fretboards, a damp cloth with a little water to clean everything. Once a year, I will hit it with lemon oil. Too much oil, can make the wood swell, as well as cleaning with water. I always, wipe it after cleaning. Look up groovydjs on youtube. The guy is a bit of an ass, but knows his guitars.

ThinLizzy789

Reaction score
Hey Bytor seems like a cool idea but doesn't but make the nut darker?

ThinLizzy789

Reaction score
Thanks SGEOFF do I need to wear my special ring or apron as I shake all of your hands lol ☺

Latest Threads