Have any of you replaced a single receptacle in a nine pin socket?

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a thermoplastic nine pin socket for V3 in my MetroAmp JTM-45 that is giving me trouble. The problem is in one of the pin receptacles. When I built the amp I melted too much solder attaching one of the wires on that socket. I didn't notice that I had filled up the pin receptacle with solder until it was too late.

So, I took a 1/16" drill bit and drilled out the solder. The 12AX7 fits fine in the socket, but every so often the amp volume drops off significantly while I'm playing. I fix it by putting the amp on standby and pulling V3 out and re-installing it.

I've tried moving the preamp tubes around and I've determined that the problem is the one bad pin receptacle.

I was thinking if there was a way to "release" one pin receptacle on a new socket and replace the bad one on my V3 socket, I would only have to solder one wire to fix my problem.

I'm pretty sure the mechanical connection between the receptacles and the thermoplastic socket base is a snap in arrangement with a "one way" installation, and that they are not meant to be removed without damaging them.

The receptacles are installed into the top of the socket with the flared end up to accept the tube pins. If somehow a straightened paper clip could be used to release the spring part of the receptacle and allow it to be pulled back out of the socket.........:hmm:

Anybody think that this could be done without having to install a new socket and soldering all 9 wire connections?

THDNUT

Reaction score
Well, I haven't pulled the amp out of the cabinet yet. I have to go back east for a week on Wednesday.

I did go to Antique Electronics Supply and looked a little at their tube sockets. I need one similar to this.

I'll have to wait until I get back home before I can work on the amp.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Curious if wrapping that pin, before inserting the tube, in some thin copper foil would stop the symptoms. Guessing you drilled out some of the recepticle. So, now the pin doesn't make good contact.

But, yea, I'd replace, or have replaced the entire socket.

Wrench66

Reaction score
I did the exact same thing on my last amp build. I tried solder wick and a solder sucker but could not get the excess solder out. Finally gave up and replaced the tube socket.

el84ster

Reaction score
One the solder flows down into the socket you usually have to replace. A solder sucker would be your best bet but still doesn’t work that often.

can you retention that hole?

THDNUT

Reaction score
I'll find out once I get back home. I'm out of town right now.

Latest Threads