have a look at these pickups and tell me what you think.

Samantha

MLP Cub Reporter
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
these are the pickups off my les paul custom I'm working on it at the moment so i had the strings off and decided to have a look at my pickups.

these aren't the original pickups their older than the guitar and i have no idea where they came from other than their epiphone.

the pickups that came on my 1999 les paul weren't stock either they where 1980s antique pickups and i took them out and put them in one of my 335's and bought these second hand, the guy i bought them from has no idea what he got them off or the year.

most of the gold is worn off

heres the rhythm pickup:

heres the treble pickup:

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They may well be from an Epiphone 335 because it looks like it from your photo, they are chock-full of wax. That's the usual thing with Epi 335 pickups. I doubt if they're very old.

Samantha

MLP Cub Reporter
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They may well be from an Epiphone 335 because it looks like it from your photo, they are chock-full of wax. That's the usual thing with Epi 335 pickups. I doubt if they're very old.
if you heard them you would think that there old. very mellow smooth tone.

Samantha

MLP Cub Reporter
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i don't think they are from a 335 if you look closely one of the pickups has LP neck on the sticker.

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I have seen rather a lot of them and they will have a LP sticker on even in the 335 models. the first few times I saw that I was a little bit suprised but I've seen plenty since.
The fact that they sound mellow may have nothing to do with age. I can easily make a brand new set of humbuckers that sound mellow.

refin

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The treble pup is exactly like what came in my Epi 335 Dot....Epi's version of a Classic '57.
Both pups sounded good alone,but I couldn't get a blend--so I put Gibby Classic '57s in.

overdriver

Banned
Reaction score
i don't think they are from a 335 if you look closely one of the pickups has LP neck on the sticker.
DOT (335) neck and bridge, LP neck , means the pup is used in the Dot in both position as well as in the Sheraton II. The LP part of the sticker designate neck pos. on LPs most LPs come with the 57+ in the bridge, The classic 57 (epi) are in most of the Epis ... G-400 , firebird etc. The open coil pups on the classics have a different sticker.

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
DOT (335) neck and bridge, LP neck , means the pup is used in the Dot in both position as well as in the Sheraton II. The LP part of the sticker designate neck pos. on LPs most LPs come with the 57+ in the bridge, The classic 57 (epi) are in most of the Epis ... G-400 , firebird etc. The open coil pups on the classics have a different sticker.
What ever its from theres a whole lotta wax in those pickups, maybe too damn much

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What ever its from theres a whole lotta wax in those pickups, maybe too damn much
No such thing! Haha

Magnets will pick up string vibration through wax no problem. I'm a firm believer in potting pickups with their covers on.

I once took a SD Seth Lover 55 and potted it with the cover on, and the results were amazing. the SH-55 is one of my favorite pickups, but after I potted it, I doubt I'd play anything else.

Unfortunately I sold the LP they were in... times were tough. If I wasn't on such a huge AlNiCo 2 kick right now, I'd buy another set and pot them as well. :)

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I have seen rather a lot of them and they will have a LP sticker on even in the 335 models. the first few times I saw that I was a little bit suprised but I've seen plenty since.
The fact that they sound mellow may have nothing to do with age. I can easily make a brand new set of humbuckers that sound mellow.
Yea it just means they use the same pickup in multiple guitar models, in different positions.

The sticker is more for the factory workers (7 year old children) assembling them in Korea. :D

Samantha

MLP Cub Reporter
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well they sound good. thats all i really care about. they just looked a bit odd from the other stock pickups in my epi's

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Personally I liked the Epi 57 in the neck position... didn't care for the bridge position... I should have switched em around and tried it.

Dave Stephens

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah those are the stock 57 cheapos Epiphone puts in everything, they're not bad, they're not great either. Potting in buckers is something you either like or don't, original Gibson PAFs were never potted, you'll see in alot of classic rock videos squealing pickups, they just dealt with it. Actually if you have a real PAF and pot it you risk destroying the pickup for good, the bobbins were butyrate and melt at real low temperatures, EVH did that one several times.

Those pickups were in my Epi Dot Deluxe and personally I didn't like them they were too strong, way too dark, couldn't get any kind of classic 335 clean tones with them so ripped 'em out. I would also recommend gutting the electronics on that guitar the pots are crap, I'm finally getting ready to do this myself. I put a set of my Tone Kings in it and could hear the pots sucking the tone out of the pickups, cheap pots really are tone destroyers. I was lucky to get one of the last of the Korean Epi Dots, the Chinese stuff isn't all that great....

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Personally I liked the Epi 57 in the neck position... didn't care for the bridge position... I should have switched em around and tried it.
Loki Having a neck that is far stronger than your bridge pickup isnt a good thing, one of the reasons bridge humbuckers have more output is the sound generation behind the neck is stronger than it is right in front of the bridge normally so you need the extra output in back to balance that out

Latest Threads