Has Gibson ever done a USA LP DC with humbuckers and 4 knobs?

bmb89

Reaction score
In my two minute search it appears not...weird as it’s pretty standard on double cut specials

Christosterone

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
not that I’ve seen....played the p90 version....cool guitar
very mean sounding

DADGAD

Reaction score
I really love the look of DC’s but not so fond of the neck pickup position where both HB’s are so close together. Is that because of where the neck route would be in relation to the heel?

Dakota

Reaction score
I really love the look of DC’s but not so fond of the neck pickup position where both HB’s are so close together. Is that because of where the neck route would be in relation to the heel?
a cool thing about the early 58 models is that the body has hard edges compared to the rounder edges that came with them around 59, wish they did a reissue at least keeping the hard edges

and now answering you, http://www.patrickwaites.com/lpsdc/ this has everything you need :) the first specials actually had the proper distance between hbs, but yeah, the neck was prone to break

Last edited:

Dakota

Reaction score
That top darkburst one has been haunting me since I first saw the pic.
i really dont understand how they went after several attempts to get a guitar to compete with prs when all they needed was to put humbuckers on a 50s special dc lol, perhaps rework the knobs and switch location a la sg and maybe a "59 standard" treatment for the premium feel but thats it

found this as well

Last edited:

zombiwoof

Reaction score
a cool thing about the early 58 models is that the body has hard edges compared to the rounder edges that came with them around 59, wish they did a reissue at least keeping the hard edges

and now answering you, http://www.patrickwaites.com/lpsdc/ this has everything you need :) the first specials actually had the proper distance between hbs, but yeah, the neck was prone to break

Those are P90's, not humbuckers.
Al

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I agree. The neck pickup isn't as nice there, as it is in a LP location, against the fretboard. There's similar DC guitars that have neck pickups in that LP location. I think they just looked at an SG for the location or something.

Reminds me of when people route a Tele for a neck humbucker and route on the bridge side, instead of the neck side, of the existing route.

Ends up sounding like a bridge/middle, instead of bridge/neck.

Christosterone

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, those are so sweet. I wish they would have put mini block or mini trapezoid inlays in them.
if they had inlays I’d own one...especially a custom diamond inlay headstock

-chris

MSB

Reaction score
I had a 335s for awhile and ever since, I don't get how these aren't more popular... that first one, is white hot!!

bungle

Reaction score

Great info on these specials. Didn’t realize all the changes. Mines a 58
AD6CD41D-F641-40A3-AE57-F44AA453059C.jpeg

bungle

Reaction score
That’s the only one on my phone & I’m out of town working..

Last edited:

Latest Threads