has anyone tried Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, or any of those services?

DotStudio

Reaction score
it was a dumb move, that $20 "surprise" was the difference between me being a customer every week and just canceling and refunding the entire thing.

I don't like surprises when it comes to my money.
Yeah, they started doing those premium meal options from time to time. My wife does the ordering, so I have no clue what the process even looks like.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
:laugh2:

I have actually had Safeway deliver before, a couple weeks ago. I ordered at like 9 in the morning and they showed up at 9:30 at night,..wasn't too impressed with that.

Not a bad service though, I guess if you order ahead a couple days you can get your delivery in a smaller time window.

@DotStudio

yeah it was the Scallops meal. They're like, "oh that's a premium meal that's extra."

WTF? No one thought to mention that. I felt like I won the surprise Daily Double.

Funny how as soon as it crossed the $100. mark I was like, "aw hell no! We're done here" :laugh2:

...felt like a bait and switch. There was no mention that a Premium meal costs extra. I had agreed on a set price, not that price plus $20. "just because"

DotStudio

Reaction score

I have actually had Safeway deliver before, a couple weeks ago. I ordered at like 9 in the morning and they showed up at 9:30 at night,..wasn't too impressed with that.

Not a bad service though, I guess if you order ahead a couple days you can get your delivery in a smaller time window.

@DotStudio

yeah it was the Scallops meal. They're like, "oh that's a premium meal that's extra."

WTF? No one thought to mention that. I felt like I won the surprise Daily Double.

Funny how as soon as it crossed the $100. mark I was like, "aw hell no! We're done here" :laugh2:

...felt like a bait and switch. There was no mention that a Premium meal costs extra. I had agreed on a set price, not that price plus $20. "just because"
Ah, that explains why she asked "would you eat scallops?" the other day.

My negative response apparently dodged a $20 bullet. :laugh2:

She signed us up for grocery deliveries as well. We haven't used it all that much yet though.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
I would guess that some of the better meals are premium priced . Scallops . mmmmm

( I'm going to miss seafood . . . )

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I love seafood! :dude:

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Back when I was doing 60-70 hr work-weeks, it was very much a matter of cooking twice a week with plenty of leftovers for eating through the week. I get it, lotsa folk don't do leftovers well, but I eat to live rather than live to eat.

Not being a recipe cook, not sure how these sorts of services would work for me anyway.

You remind me of John Goodman in The Big Lebowski. We're talking Meal Delivery and you're bringing up The 'Nam. :laugh2:

lol, that's Froggy for ya. Somewhere, Sgt Reginelli is nodding in approval, too.

DotStudio

Reaction score
I would guess that some of the better meals are premium priced . Scallops . mmmmm

( I'm going to miss seafood . . . )
Here are the options this week. I've had a few of those before and they were tasty (that cowboy pizza is pretty bitchin').

https://www.hellofresh.com/menus/

I believe they offer one premium option a week. Mals right though, other than the word "premium", it doesn't mention anything about a surcharge. At least on that screen.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
really at checkout if there'd been any indication of it being an extra charge I could've decided to do it anyway, or just choose a different meal.

It was waking up to an additional $20. missing from my checking account I didn't like.

Last edited:

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess par for course within a few hours someone from Hellofresh will open an account here and respond to your problem and talk up the company and never to be heard from again.:hmm:

Crotch

Cocaine Bear
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
well that was a short lived experiment. I checked my account this morning and they'd taken an additional $20.

I contacted them and politely asked, "WTF?" and they said it was a premium surcharge on one of the meals. I said, "you give me a menu and say pick three for the agreed upon price, then later tell me one of the meals was rigged and is actually $20. more expensive?"

So they wanted $110. for three meals.

I told them cancel the account and refund my money. :laugh2:

That was a pretty quick adventure. Back to just going to the grocery store. :laugh2:

You should have accepted it but then sent your poop back in return.

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
Mal

I understand you’re time poor and sick of meat and potatoes. Rather than dial a rip-off, I prefer to have a number of go to recipes that I can whip up quickly as an alternative and a bit of variety, and try to keep stuff necessary in the fridge/cupboard/freezer.

I’m all into simple flavours and fast, easy cooking. Some dishes, like noodles or pasta, take as little time to make a small serve or a large serve, so I make larger serves and then have leftovers (which can often taste better than first time around).

And if you don’t have a small rice steamer, get yourself one. Prolly cost no more than the premium for scallops, and it will cook rice for you while you do other stuff (eg. prepare a topping). And they seem to last forever, even the cheap Chinese ones...

My go to meals are fast, easy and tasty, such that my children love ‘em and often actually ask for them!

Happy to pm deetz and tips if you like.

Cheers

prs97

Reaction score
I usually plan and cook 4 or 5 meals on a Sunday and we eat "leftovers" throughout the week. We try to eat healthy and we're both office drones with long commutes so this works best for us as far as diet, diversity, & time during the week. The tradeoff is those Sundays where I have other stuff I want to do, or need to do, or when its hot as balls in the kitchen. That's when I turn to the BBQ or another shortcut.

Over the years, it has also turned into a bit of a hobby for me which is an added benefit. A Sunday (particularly when the weather sucks) is peaceful and relaxing. I go at my own pace and nobody is giving me a headache like when I'm in the cube farm during the week.

If I get to retirement, I'm building a cool assed food truck, parking it at the beach, drinking beer, and giving discounts to babes in bikinis!

Tone deaf

Reaction score
We (my siblings and I) hooked up my parents with some Blue Apron. I guess it was OK. Someone gifted me $75 of Blue Apron, but I haven't gotten around to using it.

I like to cook and I think I am pretty good at it. I can walk into just about any kitchen and plate a meal 30 minutes later that most people will enjoy. It's something I learned by cooking virtually all of our family meals for 20 years.

An easy crowd-pleaser is: grill a few rib eyes, saute some mushrooms (garlic, butter, olive oil, etc), saute some spinach and pour some wine. This probably works out to under $15/meal. Steaks and veggies from BJs.

Crotch

Cocaine Bear
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw a story last night that these guys haven't turned a profit since they started. Stock is down 20% this week I think.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
ok not sure what the Military has to do with a Meal Delivery Thread.

Don't those guys get their meals cooked for them too? :laugh2:

You remind me of John Goodman in The Big Lebowski. We're talking Meal Delivery and you're bringing up The 'Nam. :laugh2:

Oh shut up Donny! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
hahaha, imagine the look on some snooty, "I was trained in France!" private Chefs face,...walk into the kitchen in flip-flops and a ratty bathrobe like, "You know how to make Corn-Dogs? On a stick? We'll need some yellow mustard,..Frenchs Classic Yellow Mustard."

tumblr_ohdf5faXOp1upwnswo1_500.gif

Latest Threads