Has anyone tried Ernie Ball Cobalt strings?

Ride

Banned
Reaction score
I tried them and thought they were fine. I really couldn't tell any difference in tone, but they feel different. They feel very smooth against your fingers which may create the sensation that you can play faster or bend easier. Honestly, I didn't think there was much difference between the cobalts and the regular EBs other than texture of the string itself. I went back to the regular EB because I couldn't justify the extra cost.

The problem with EB is that whenever they release a new product they tout it as some "revolutionary" discovery/invention that is going to change your world/your life will never be the same again...or some BS like that. They did the same thing with the game changer guitar. Dude, it's just guitar strings. Ok. Cobalts are fine, but I can't help but to feel disappointed in them after so much hype.
Ok thanks everyone, I think Im going to stick to the Titanium (Ernie Ball Titanium RPS Reinforced Coated Electric Guitar Strings) strings since Cobalt's feel different. Titaniums feel exactly like normal EB slinky strings yet last longer, which is penultimately what I want. Call it nostalgia, I dont want strings feeling different.

The Archer

Reaction score
I found them overly bright and didnt like the feel of them very much...to me they felt a little scratchy which is
unlike what most report when trying the Cobalts. THe feel for bending etc was about the same as any other.
The set I had lasted for 2 or 3 days and had to go.

I use Thomastik Infeld Powerbrights. The Thomastiks are more expensive but they do everything the Cobalts
do volume wise, arent super bright and have a more traditional feel...and last for ages and ages. The 35 and
45 gauge on the lowest strings gives them a really nice tension across all the strings that isnt floppy but still
has a full sound.

pb110f.jpg

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I use them on a few of my guitars.

I like them.

I don't think they feel any different but they have a bit more mid range.

And the sets I'm using still have that new string "snap"!

BoogieMan_SC

Reaction score
Bought them and although they don't suck....I don't like them quite as much as Nickel Slinkys...

carydad

Reaction score
I like them. My usual is the classic rock version though, and the difference isnt great enough to justify the cost difference. That's a whole beer we're talking about there.

tung

Reaction score
Ok thanks everyone, I think Im going to stick to the Titanium (Ernie Ball Titanium RPS Reinforced Coated Electric Guitar Strings) strings since Cobalt's feel different. Titaniums feel exactly like normal EB slinky strings yet last longer, which is penultimately what I want. Call it nostalgia, I dont want strings feeling different.

All I can say is give it a try, throw one pack on and you decide the verdict. You got nothing to lose, they're only $10. I was skeptical but after trying out a set on one of my main guitars, I was convinced. Now they're on all of my electrics.
- Tonewise, more articulate with higher output.
- Last longer. So far I broke only one string, and that's after three gigs.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
Not sure about a big change in tone, but to me they felt a tad smoother to the touch. Also they seem easier to bend imo. I like them better than regular slinkys, but the cost is a little high and they never seem to be on sale for more than a buck off.

Reaction score
I just tried these on my LP and I'm not too sure I like them. Only the wound strings are cobolt, the plain strings are just regular Slinkys, just in case you weren't aware.

They seem fairly bright and almost slightly harsh. They feel a bit rough too like they are slightly abrasive.

Jernst1

Reaction score
I've used em, but I'd still prefer my old D'addarios. Never had a problem with them, so I simply don't use any other strings.

Reaction score
I'm going to go back to my regular D'addarios too I think. My '82 LP has Tim Shaw pickups which are fairly bright anyway with 500k pots.

brd9214

Reaction score
I am a big fan of cobalt strings. I find that they really tighten up the bottom end of my sound. The gauge 12's feel particularly nice :D

Brutalisateur

Reaction score
They feel a bit rough too like they are slightly abrasive.

Yeah, I had no problem with it first but now its bothering me. When I play my cobolt-strung guitars my fingertips get destroyed. I do a lot of sliding up and down the neck so after an hour or two it actually hurts

Shadowplayer

Reaction score
they feel a lot more dry compared to the normal EB strings. I really liked them on my strat, gonna put them on my LP soon, but I preferred normal EB's. But for more heavy stuff, these strings sound amazing.

crazytrain513

Reaction score
These strings sound warmer to me -- I like them. They also are easier to bend IMO. You can't go wrong with them.

The color is also slightly different -- in a good way.

Latest Threads