Has anyone seen a Les Paul finish like this?

bum

Reaction score
I am a massive fan of non perfect, streaky wood, for bodies and fretboards.
A very real issue is in some countries they are chopping down old growth trees to find the 'perfect' wood, any trees cut down that aren't perfect are left where they fell, abandoned - Some decades and decades old.
Taylor have spearheaded a much needed change of attitude and I support them 100%
A streaky guitar gets my vote every time, hearts and minds need to change I think to improve this situation even more.

We need to be a whole lot less fussy about the wood we use, or we won't have any to use.

From about 7.30 on he talks about the colour, and the idiotic fussiness that existed

Last edited:

Scott79

Reaction score
I am a massive fan of non perfect, streaky wood, for bodies and fretboards.
A very real issue is in some countries they are chopping down old growth trees to find the 'perfect' wood, any trees cut down that aren't perfect are left where they fell, abandoned - Some decades and decades all.
Taylor have spearheaded a much needed change of attitude and I support them 100%
A streaky guitar gets my vote every time, hearts and minds need to change I think to improve this situation even more.

We need to be a whole lot less fussy about the wood we use, or we won't have any to use.

Couldn’t have said it better myself

cherrick

Reaction score
Hi I bought a used 2002 LP standard some time ago, beautiful feel and tone. I was curious as to the finish on the back of it. All the LP's I've seen have an even color on the back of it. This one has a dark streak, probably something to do with the wood absorbing the stain unevenly. Has anyone come across ones like this?
Skunk Stripe - in the wood grain. I have a Faux-'57 goldtop with a more pronounced stripe in the mahogany back. It's not common but not super rare in Mahogany.

Snorro

Reaction score
Hi I bought a used 2002 LP standard some time ago, beautiful feel and tone. I was curious as to the finish on the back of it. All the LP's I've seen have an even color on the back of it. This one has a dark streak, probably something to do with the wood absorbing the stain unevenly. Has anyone come across ones like this?
It makes it real easy to see that the body is one solid piece of wood, as opposed to the newer Gibson USA models that are two pieces glued together down the middle.

no jimmy p

Reaction score
let's call it character .. something that makes it uniquely yours ....

moreles

Reaction score
Wild grain, mineral streaks, and spalting used to be considered defects but today are pretty popular. The "old" view was not wrong, particularly for acoustics, where straight-grained BRW was the premium because it is more stable than the wild stuff (which is sometimes stump wood) or the light sapwood. Spalted wood is diseased, and sometimes the spalting simply decomposes, leaving empty spaces requiring filling. Gibson routinely rejected tops with mineral spots or streaks because people considered them ugly. Today, many buyers love them, perhaps because they suggest age. With modern building techniques, it seems to have become possible to process wood and assemble guitars so that these oddities do not affect the strength and stability of the guitar. And let's face it, most wild wood ends up being sliced paper thin and veneered.

MLJUBB

Reaction score
Nice guitar, anything that makes you guitar slightly different without being a detriment to the quality, which that is definitely not, is a cool thing :cool: . Love it for what it is dude..

tzd

Reaction score
Hey thanks everyone for your comments....guess I just got a rare one. Apparently in 2002 they added nickel hardware, and a flame top (standards usually had chrome plating and a plain top) just to throw off competition. This one also has a one piece back. I got lucky.
It makes it real easy to see that the body is one solid piece of wood, as opposed to the newer Gibson USA models that are two pieces glued together down the middle.
It is not one piece. Where the treble side of the neck heel meets the cutaway, you can see the line going down the body showing a second piece of wood.

riffwraith

Reaction score
It's called GOD

And I think it's rather neato lookin' :cool:

CrackerBlues44

Reaction score
All kidding aside, I believe this burst is called Tomato Soup. Not a common one to see, for sure.

Latest Threads