Has anyone polished a 1955 Epi LP Custom

Mpcoluv

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to wet sand and polish the 1955 a Epi Les Paul Custom?
how did it turn out?

ARandall

Reaction score
Polish works the same on all types of finish - in that you are removing material with every grade of abrasive you use - and less as you get to finer compounds. Most car polishes will work on raw wood too.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I assume that the OP wishes to dull the shine on the finish of his guitar. If so (working with automotive finishes, which are also poly clear coat) I’d recommend using a rather aggressive abrasive compound followed by a more gentle one. Then I would apply a sealant, and recommend 303 touchless sealant applied with a damp microfiber cloth and buffed with a dry one.

But if the OP only wants to rid his guitar of that sticky “poly feel” this can be done by applying Autoglym Radiant Wax Polish, allowing it to dry, and buffing off. All products I have mentioned are available on line from automotive detailing retailers.

LSAR

Reaction score
I assume that the OP wishes to dull the shine on the finish of his guitar. If so (working with automotive finishes, which are also poly clear coat) I’d recommend using a rather aggressive abrasive compound followed by a more gentle one. Then I would apply a sealant, and recommend 303 touchless sealant applied with a damp microfiber cloth and buffed with a dry one.

But if the OP only wants to rid his guitar of that sticky “poly feel” this can be done by applying Autoglym Radiant Wax Polish, allowing it to dry, and buffing off. All products I have mentioned are available on line from automotive detailing retailers.
The '55 custom is a satin finished guitar, I would assume OP is looking to polish it to a gloss or semi-gloss.

I have no applicable advice, but perhaps someone might. I seem to recall reading at some point that many factory "satin finishes" are accomplished with an additive that in part of its role reflects light differently...so this may not be achievable. That being said I've seen many satin finishes, including on this model become slightly shinier due to friction from natural wear.

DrBGood

Reaction score
I did my Vintage Epiphone SG with car paint polishing compound. It is not glossy shiny, I didn't want to go there.

170430 2-.jpg

Here's a before/after photo.

avant-après.jpg

lpfan1980

Reaction score
The '55 custom is a satin finished guitar, I would assume OP is looking to polish it to a gloss or semi-gloss.

I have no applicable advice, but perhaps someone might. I seem to recall reading at some point that many factory "satin finishes" are accomplished with an additive that in part of its role reflects light differently...so this may not be achievable. That being said I've seen many satin finishes, including on this model become slightly shinier due to friction from natural wear.
That looks nice I have a satin Strat nice tone and nice to the touch!

Mpcoluv

Reaction score
Yes I want to gloss up the satin finish. I think wetsanding with 1000 then 2000 followed by rubbing compound might do the trick.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Yes I want to gloss up the satin finish. I think wetsanding with 1000 then 2000 followed by rubbing compound might do the trick.
I say you can go directly to a polishing compound.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I have nothing to add other than I would like to see your results when you're done.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Ditto with skipping the sandpaper. Compound comes in various abrasions that would be safer to use.,in fact Meguairs Ultimate Compound actually has variable abrasive strength. When you rub it on it is first high abrasive. But as you rub, the abrasive becomes finer. I don’t know how it does that, but it really does it!

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
Here’s my satin GT Jeff did with virtuoso
6A6C0956-5AC4-4EB0-89A8-212992277FC1.jpeg

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Yes, some flat-finished surfaces will “shine up” with application of the right sort of polish — and some won’t. IMHO, it is best and safest to try the polish method first.

Cardinalcomb

Reaction score
You’re not going to easily knock down that satin finish with polish. Need multiple stages of wet sanding. It can be done. Check this out.

Latest Threads