Has anyone played the Gibson SG Standard Tribute?

Coxon2323

Reaction score
Hi guys how are we doing?
My question is has anyone played one of these?
Here is a link to the guitar fi you are unsure what I'am talking about..

I ask because I want to know how the rounded neck is, how does it compare to the 60s slim taper?
I'am looking for a fatter Gibson neck that's not on a Les Paul, and with this guitars price going from £899 to £699, I am hoping this is the suitable guitar...

Thanks for any help

Case24

Reaction score
I have an ‘05 SG Standard and at the time it was new the neck profile was described as “rounded” in the literature. It feels close to the shape and thickness of the “50’s” neck on my 2012 LP Traditional. I had an ‘07 LP Standard for a while with a “60’s” neck and it felt thinner than both necks I described above.

Edit: I just happened to stop in my local shop and they have this model on display. I didn’t plug it in but I did try it acoustically and the neck feels very similar to the one on my SG.

Last edited:

Coxon2323

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
So as I understand it you cannot buy an SG these days with a neck like the 59 or 58....

Coxon2323

Reaction score
If this graphic is accurate then it looks as if the rounded neck is a substantial bit thicker than the 60s taper

MSB

Reaction score
If this graphic is accurate then it looks as if the rounded neck is a substantial bit thicker than the 60s taper

at the end of the day, they're hand sanded, so the "label" is a suggestion at best. With only a very few exceptions, ones I've had that were made the last 15ish years have been on the smaller side of their label.