Has anyone made a neck out of multiple short pieces

ejendres

Reaction score
I recently bought some mahogany to laminate and make a few necks. I was able to buy 36" long pieces for a little extra. I'm thinking I might have enough left over scrap to scarf joint them length-wise and make a neck. Has anyone done something like this?

I think its worth a shot since it will just be scrap.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Reaction score
I havent made any scarf jointed headstocks, but if memory serves, in a scarf joint you are joining end grain to long grain, which can hold very well.

What you are describing sounds like you'd be joining end grain to end grain. I dont know how stable a joint like that would be.

Could be fine for all I know, but I'm just a non-expert on the topic thinking out loud

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I recently bought some mahogany to laminate and make a few necks. I was able to buy 36" long pieces for a little extra. I'm thinking I might have enough left over scrap to scarf joint them length-wise and make a neck. Has anyone done something like this?

I think its worth a shot since it will just be scrap.
I wouldn't do it. Sure, the scraps might not have any value, but my time does. And frankly, even though my joinery skills are good, I wouldn't trust a neck constructed like that.
I havent made any scarf jointed headstocks, but if memory serves, in a scarf joint you are joining end grain to long grain, which can hold very well.

What you are describing sounds like you'd be joining end grain to end grain. I dont know how stable a joint like that would be.

Could be fine for all I know, but I'm just a non-expert on the topic thinking out loud
Scarf joints are not end grain, it's a joint across the bias of grain. End grain joints are a disaster.....completely worthless.

WezV

Reaction score
i agree with the otehrs to a certain extent, there is a point where its just not worth it.

I have however made some off cut necks before - but never with anything shorter than the neck shaft. normally get a few good bits out of a through neck bass builds that can be used for a spliced guitar neck. I even did one 5 piece neck where the middle 3 lams were solid, the outer 2 were scarfed, just to use up some spare bits of wood.

i am looking for a pic of one i saw a few years back where the Luther had made a solid wood version on an EVH stripy finish, all made from individual strips of wood glued together - all the way up the neck too. It was basically 50 scarf joins at various angles in one neck, some quite short and more end to end than a decent scarf. I asked if any additional reinforcement was involved but was told it wasn't needed... lost interest at that point as neck structure is vitally important to my builds and you don;t get that when no single peice extends more than a 3rd of the neck shaft. looked impressive though

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Reaction score
Sure, the scraps might not have any value, but my time does.
This ^

Time has become the most valuable commodity in my life. The lack of it colors most of my decision-making in all aspects of life, not just in building