Has anyone heard of Mr Thomas Core?

w.izzy

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I am currently watching a few listings in ebay and badly wanting an custom aged R9. The seller claims that Mr Thomas Core aged the guitars and installed plastic Montreux Parts raising the price a little. The guitar i want sells for $6250.

So, i joined the forum to ask you people about this person and whether anybody is familiar with his work...

Thank you very much

This is the link for the R9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-1959-VOS-Aged-Faded-Cherry-Sunburst-/130567971611?pt=Guitar&hash=item1e6675231b

PS what do you think of those grovers?

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Link doesn't work.

goodvibes

Reaction score
Never heard of him. Does not look like a professional job IMO. I have a Gary Rossington for sale right now for a bit more and it was aged by the Master himself, Mr. Tom Murphy. I would not recommended paying this much for an aged guitar unless it was done by a well know person.

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
No, the guitar´s finish was cracked with FREON spray, you can tell by the way the check went... don like it at all. And that fingerboard could have been better oiled.

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A quick check shows several guitars he has done are up on ebay.

vvt

Reaction score
Dudes I've seen Core's work in person and you got it all wrong. The pictures on that listing ain't even close to how cool these things are. As for the list of guitars that he's done, I don't know where you got that, he only does LPs. And that FREON thing - wrong! Cut the dude some slack his stuff rocks.

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Dudes I've seen Core's work in person and you got it all wrong. The pictures on that listing ain't even close to how cool these things are. As for the list of guitars that he's done, I don't know where you got that, he only does LPs. And that FREON thing - wrong! Cut the dude some slack his stuff rocks.

Well IT LOOK like it was done with FREON, because the normal method use by other gives a complete different crack look.

KenG

Reaction score
I didn't care for the colour for one thing. Tint was too orangey for my liking. Second, I'd agree that a known, professional ager with a reputation is the only way to go if you're into this sort of thing. Amateur attempts may actually cause damage that may have long term affects.

Big Red

Reaction score
$6250 buys a lot of guitar. Murphy's headstocks aren't the greatest but they don't look like they've cracked like an eggshell. I'm sure the Ebay photos aren't the best but I don't like what I'm seeing. YMMV

w.izzy

Reaction score
yes... you gotta watch what you say in here

Thanks everybody... gracias a Don Nicolás

dangeneau

Reaction score
I agree that the cracking was done by FREON or a similar method and doesn't look natural. I know because I did it on a gold top refin and I regret it. No parallel lines but more something like a spider web, something you don't see on a naturally aged guitar.

Latest Threads