Has anyone found there tone yet?

Mr. Fuzzy

Reaction score
My gear produces many varied sounds. For different styles of music.

Full and sustainey,
Thin and spanky
middy
muddy
reedy
fuzzy and wooly
bright and cutting... etc.

Tone is in my fingers.

The same sound all the time would be boring for me.

My opinion on the "tone" issue is in the minority, especially on internet forums.

Gear produces sound, I produce tone.

To me, gear does not "Suck Tone". It just alters the frequency response. i.e. Clip high end, flabby bass, or narrows the available frequency spectrum.
It is all about what you do with it in context. I search for the sound that works in the context presented.

But, like I said not a common opinion.

I worry about me sucking, not my gear (I have plenty of great gear, so I can't blame it).
Note choice, mood and attitude, and basic emotional content are my greater concern. It will overcome most gear shortcomings IMO.

vim

Reaction score
Found it 20 years ago, in a Tokai Jap. Strat and Marshall JCM800. Should have kept'em both...

Lost it for 15 years or more. Didn't even own a guitar.

Found it again recently, in an R7 (and working with my newest toy - an R8) and
Mesa F-30. Warm, fat, bluesy overdrive á la Joe B. only a little less "midrangy". More Warren Haynes like maybe.

carydad

Reaction score
Les paul JB or B3 Phoenix into a Gabriel Voxer. All the tones I want, not THE tone...ALL THE TONES.

lp_junkie

Reaction score
my tone evolved over a 15 year period starting in the mid 70's when I first started playing electric guitars.

At one point during the late 80's-early 90's my rig was a complicated rack system that required an engineering degree to use, I experimented with all kinds of gear. I have since gone back to the original tone that I started with as a kid.

Les Paul----->floor processor or Boss Pedals----->Marshall Amp (currently the Valvestate 100's, but in the past it was JCM800's 2203's or 2204's).

My tone is very basic and raw sounding, definitely more of a classic rock tone.

I spend a little more time dialing in my guitars than amps now, usually replacing pickups first thing out of the box and then working on neck relief, action height, intonation and settling on a string guage for each guitar (9's or 10's).

Red Baron

Reaction score
I found a tone I was happy with years ago, but its constantly evolving so I just go with it and enjoy the ride :)

Texas07R8

Reaction score
did you find your tone through pedals and effects or are we talking a guitar into an amp unaltered?

I think I've got the best tone unaltered today. Back years ago when I had old Marshall heads or Carvin heads or Peavey heads and a mix match of cabinets and vintage geetars I thought I had tone but looking back on it I don't think it was as good as I thought it was at the time. I don't know if it's my memory or my ears playing tricks on me but today my R8 with WBs and Luxe caps running though a B-52 100w 12 tube head into a Marshall 1960AV cab with vintage speakers sounds as good or better than anything I remember.

Red Baron

Reaction score
did you find your tone through pedals and effects or are we talking a guitar into an amp unaltered?
The biggest difference for me is that when I was younger I would use outboard equipment (all types of pedals and rack devices) to help shape my tone, whereas these days I take a more purist approach and find it in my guitar and amp only.

-Ninja-

Reaction score
I'm sorry, a few of you asked me some questions that I have not answered.

My gear is a Epi Les Pau std. + top, with Alnico ll pro's, Vintage Bumble Bee caps, CTS pots, Marshall JCM 2000 Dsl 100, GT-8 and Planet waves cables.

Another question was effects or no effects, I would say whatever you prefer. I like a little delay, reverb and sustainer with a low level noisgate.

Another point I should mention is I have found my tone for the moment, but what I should have asked was are you happy with your tone, or sound, or are you still looking.

I have found my sound for now and I am happy. Sure there are thing that might make it better, but there is always going to be something. It is a good feeling to go to a guitar store and not druel over stuff you think you need, or want.

lp_junkie

Reaction score
I found my tone with just the guitar, amp and pickups for the primary tone and then added effects over time to flavor the sound. I can get my tone without any effects at all and more often than not nowadays just run with the amp and guitar, with a tad of reverb.

I can also dial in my sound on most good amps as well, just plug in twiddle the knobs and there I am ready to inflict aural damage.

kspeed

Reaction score
More or less, yea. I'm able to turn a couple switches or punch a button and I'm at it, regardless of what guitar I'm playing. One of the secrets?

This thing right here is like lifting a quilt off of your amp:

It's MUCH more than just a treble boost - it alters the rate at which certain frequencies are processed and sort of "melds" them together in an order that the human ear finds most pleasing. BY FAR the best musical investment I've ever found outside of a quality tube amp :thumb:

toneguy86

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just curious. I found mine after a year of searching, and about 4 grand. I am happy with the tone my gear will produce. Is that bad that I am to into this or is this normal. When I hear guitar in my head I hear a specific tone.

Should I have found it a long time ago or am I lucky to have found it this quick. If you found your tone please let me know how long it took you and if you want how much mula just to make me not feel bad for spending money.
My tone has changed over the years...in fact what I have been looking for has changed some. I went down the Strat road for a long time for one thing. This past year I sold them all and have brought back Gibsons and PRS guitars in search of something different then most of what I hear from everyone else I know. The old Fenders and Music Man amps went away too...along with the effects I used to use. Granted I never used a lot of effects but even tube screamers color and change the tone. I just never found a way to make it work for me entirely. I get a way huge monster tone that just rings with vibe from my Mesa Lonestar. I've never been happier with my tone.

Mark

Horse

Reaction score
i found mine after about a year of thinking/searching etc.... i had almost given up thinking i had to throw more money than i could justify at it, but its not the case... i believe in buying good gear from the start, and really digging into what your tone heros use....

first, was my Indie IPR guitar, then my biggest leap in tone came from buying the Orange TT amp - tube heaven. the factor that really brought it all together was recently buying my Zoom G7.1ut multi effects, i found my tone!!

it can be really frustrating to get the elusive tone in your head, i count myself lucky i did it for reasonable money.

PS, one big tip for tonehounds.........many many pros use wah or comb filter to add that special something to the tone, used as a bit of spice, no sweep, set it just right and use delay and reverb with it etc etc. The one thing i have learnt is how effects like those and flange are used very subtley and not immediately apparent to add those harmonics and richness we hear...

sorry if i was saying the obvious....

rock on dudes.

Horse

Reaction score
More or less, yea. I'm able to turn a couple switches or punch a button and I'm at it, regardless of what guitar I'm playing. One of the secrets?

This thing right here is like lifting a quilt off of your amp:

It's MUCH more than just a treble boost - it alters the rate at which certain frequencies are processed and sort of "melds" them together in an order that the human ear finds most pleasing. BY FAR the best musical investment I've ever found outside of a quality tube amp :thumb:
great tip mate! :thumb:

Deftone

Reaction score
Yes, I've found it several times and I'm still looking for it. I can tell you one thing though, my tone begins with a Les Paul.

Ekoms

Reaction score
Im getting there. The problem is, my taste changes so much and so quickly, its hard for my bank account to keep up.

I started out with a strat through an ac15 and thought that was it. Then I got an SG and played that through the same setup and thought that was the way. Then, I got a telecaster and loved the clean spank of it, yet it still had tons of power. Next, I bought an explorer, and marshall clone (ceriatone), thought that was it too. Huge, powerful, LOUD. Now, with my LPDC and my ceriatone, I couldnt be happier. The p-90's are what I was missing I think. I wanted that humbucker power, with the single coil presence. Im loving what I have now. But im sure it will change soon enough. Though, this LP is the first guitar I've boughten, that I can actually see myself playing for years to come. It just feels right. you know?

Ekoms

Rock City Novi Sad

Reaction score
I play for over 15 years. I didn't improve my speed nad variety, just rhytmn and finger presure. And I've played on many guitars through various amps (I stopped at LP and Marshall). I still think the main thing is technique - trying all guitars to sound the same. Whether it should be single or humbucker pickups, Fender or Gibson - you should make your guitar sweet and mild or rough and kicking asses. That is what I've come to. Offcourse, we're talking 'bout nice and quality equipment here not just any guitar and any amp.
My small contribution to this chat...

kluson

Reaction score
really happy with the JTM 45 Les Paul sound but I also love the BFDR Les Paul combination.
Try as I might I can't get a Strat sound I've ever really been happy with

ThrashPirate

Reaction score
No but I haven't really chased it. I'm focusing on skill more than tone and I feel like tone is something I can dial in when I become somewhat proficient in guitar. Although my amp died last week so maybe I'll be in the market!

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It was always there....
It was just never the one that I was looking for. I can't be Page, or Clapton, or Keef. Once I accepted that, I learned to love the fact that it is different, and its definitely me. I can get it on my electrics or on an acoustic guitar. And now it has grown.

Latest Threads